Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
Hopefully everyone ran Firecalc prior to this downturn.
If you ran it after the downturn and your still 95% and greater I would suggest taking a nap, go for a walk, or perhaps go out to eat with friends. Nothing really important changed in your life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #82
Dryer sheet wannabe

Please talk me down from the edge. No clue what I have done, but when I first ran FireCalc a couple of months ago everything was good at only 1 failed cycle.

Just ran it 2xs with a reduced portfolio and got a 0 success rate. Would 15K down make that much of a difference?

Old 01-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No. You likely had some sort of input error.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No. You likely had some sort of input error.
Gawd I hope so, although I just went back through again. I really panicking that maybe I had an input error back in November. I wrote the amounts down at that time so I am entering the same $$.

Is it too early to start drinking?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I once made the mistake of entering my Social security start date in the past. IIRC, FireCalc had me working like a slave until I was 99. Check you input data very carefully.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I once made the mistake of entering my Social security start date in the past. IIRC, FireCalc had me working like a slave until I was 99. Check you inputs data very carefully.
+1

All dates entered in FIRECalc must be either the current year or a future year.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I once made the mistake of entering my Social security start date in the past. IIRC, FireCalc had me working like a slave until I was 99. Check you inputs data very carefully.
Okay, you got me thinking---------would the same apply with pensions listed under off chart income? Please say yes, as it did make things almost back to normal.

Just saw the other post----------thank you, thank you, thank you. Now I can go outside and clean up dog doo and enjoy doing so.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Okay, you got me thinking---------would the same apply with pensions listed under off chart income? Please say yes, as it did make things almost back to normal.
Looks like you found your problem. "All dates entered in FIRECalc must be either the current year or a future year."

Old 01-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Gawd I hope so, although I just went back through again. I really panicking that maybe I had an input error back in November. I wrote the amounts down at that time so I am entering the same $$.

Is it too early to start drinking?
In a down market......no.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
Hopefully everyone ran Firecalc prior to this downturn.
That could be very misleading, since we had a nice run-up in stocks for the past many years.
Better to run Firecalc with only 75% of your investment amounts, and see if it works as we are approaching that quickly.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Here's a comment from Jonathan Clements (a financial writer who I admire) on an article in today's WSJ:

Quote:
The tone of the piece underscores what we know about most investors, both professional and amateur: They're fundamentally trend followers, growing exuberant as stock prices rise and fearful when prices drop. This makes no sense at all. Falling share prices should excite us, because eventually there may be bargains to be had, while rising prices should make us nervous.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That could be very misleading, since we had a nice run-up in stocks for the past many years.
Better to run Firecalc with only 75% of your investment amounts, and see if it works as we are approaching that quickly.
+1.

Before I pulled the plug two years ago I ran it with 27% reduction of my 50/50 AA portfolio simulating a market drop similar to 2007/2008 period when stocks lost 54%. I have not run it since.........
Old 01-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #93
Administrator

How I handle a market downturn

I forgot to mention, the most important way I handle a market downturn... I whistle a happy tune:

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

We are all playing the odds to retire early, if it was easy everyone would do it. Is this the first market down turn you have seen? As I said before the market goes up and the market goes down but everyday we have one less day to enjoy, focus on what you retired for.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Why are these people investing in the stock market? if 3% drop in a couple of days is going to make them panic then they shouldn't be invested in equities...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
+1. Kind of like going to a Thai restaurant and being afraid that you'll get spicy food.
Hey, they expected to be served jalapeno, and not habanero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
How can you sit there all relaxed when "eternal optimist" Marc Faber just said today S&P is going to drop 20-40% in next 6 months...Sell, sell, sell.
Look who's talking here, the one sitting on his pile of preferred stocks that are past call dates.

Quote:
I once made the mistake of entering my Social security start date in the past. IIRC, FireCalc had me working like a slave until I was 99. Check you input data very carefully.
Well, if you already draw SS and do not think you have enough, of course the only way to get more income is to work till you croak.

Quote:
I just did that, and it's still 100% success, but what I can spend is right at my 2015 expense level. In other words, my safety margin is gone.

Well, not quite since I do not have to marry off a daughter every year, and have work done on my homes each year. In addition, the people I feed via charity donations will also have to tighten their belt some more, if that is even possible.

Oh man, I still have it easier than a lot of people. Have no reason to complain, really. I may still gas up that motorhome, just in case.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #96

Quote:
Thank you. Great suggestion, just did that and feel better already, still at 100%. Maybe I should buy all 4 tires after all.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

NW, It is not that I was smarter than anyone, its just that someone stole my "big boy pants" at a very opportune time. Logic side of my brain says since bond yields are going nowhere, this market despite all the despair from pundits must have some serious underpinnings at a certain price point. If a true panic would set in, I would strongly consider buying a new pair of big boy pants and re-enter. Im guessing I need 15% more which I probably wont get. Or I will, but then think I need 20% and miss the boat anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
NW, It is not that I was smarter than anyone, its just that someone stole my "big boy pants" at a very opportune time. Logic side of my brain says since bond yields are going nowhere, this market despite all the despair from pundits must have some serious underpinnings at a certain price point. If a true panic would set in, I would strongly consider buying a new pair of big boy pants and re-enter. Im guessing I need 15% more which I probably wont get. Or I will, but then think I need 20% and miss the boat anyways.
Just teasing. Right now, I envy your preferred stocks.

Truth be told, I knew about preferred stocks, but never looked that much into it until I read your thread. Then, I started to poke around, but the volume was so low that it would take a long time to me to get a good pile. So, my attention waned, as I looked for opportunities elsewhere (none worked out that well, to tell the truth).

Anyway, I did go down from my usual 80% stock down to 60%. Else, could have been a lot worse.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just teasing. Right now, I envy your preferred stocks.

Truth be told, I knew about preferred stocks, but never looked that much into it until I read your thread. Then, I started to poke around, but the volume was so low that it would take a long time to me to get a good pile. So, my attention waned, as I looked for opportunities elsewhere (none worked out that well, to tell the truth).

Anyway, I did go down from my usual 80% stock down to 60%. Else, could have been a lot worse.

I know, NW. That is why I like posting you with you. Who just wants to read boring factual statements! Hey there are all sorts of preferred issues out there that are very liquid. Chesapeake Energy has all sorts of them! . Seriously there are some liquid ones out there such as the Wells Fargo and Cenex Harvest a Fortune 100 company that yield near 7% and trade thousands daily. It all comes down to price points. But yes, the old illiquid ones are very hard to get 6 figures in because many of the issues are barely 7 figure issues themselves and usually are stuffed away in a vault.
I did try an ill fated tippy toe into common stocks. Bought small 500 share amount of AHT (a reit) common to go with some preferreds of the company. That lasted about 3 weeks. Bought at $6.20 or so, collected a 12 cent divi, then noticed market was going to tank so I bailed at $6.10, now its down to $5.56 in a week. So there may be no hope for me if I can get skittish on a menial amount. The preferred which I will keep was only down a nickel this week at $25.10. Preferreds have escaped the storm so far. Though I believe reit preferreds are way more exposed to down drafts than utility preferreds are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #100
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been buying utility and REIT preferreds for awhile now ( since 2012 ) but had to accumulate in small amounts each time because they were so thinly traded.

Took me about 18 months to build up some positions, eg. HE-U.

Now have reasonable amounts of several of them, but always looking to add in the event of a motivated seller appearing on the scene. And they come and go pretty quickly.

They allow me to sleep very well at night - witness this past week as an example.