Join Early Retirement Today

How long before we hear the "D" word
Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How long before we hear the "D" word

I'll be it starts to get bandied around in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if there is a technical definition of that like their is the "R: word.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Careful, your tinfoil helmet is on a little too tight.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are we talking about Democrats and Republicans? Eww, please stop.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The PC version is that:
  • there will BE no D,
  • there was only ONE D, and that was the Great D,
  • you young whippersnappers ought to KNOW better than to call this a D, and
  • that is all there is to it!!!
They're probably right, but I think it's almost like the word was banned. I'm no economist, but I think what we have threatening us is more like stagflation. If it was a D, prices would be falling instead of rising. (Right, guys?)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #5

"D" just means a long severe "R."

For some reason, the word was never used to describe Japan's condition. And, if you ask the Japanese, things aren't so bad. They just spend less and work longer.

For us, the big hit was in the unemployment rate. Since we don't have a paternalistic view of employment like the Japanese do, and we don't have a strong export economy like the Japanese do, a severe recession would be different here....
Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If it takes deflation to get a depression, I don't think we will get one in the US with our modern financial institutions and current political attitudes.

We'll just get another bubble, after a short scare.

Ha
Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If it takes deflation to get a depression, I don't think we will get one in the US with our modern financial institutions and current political attitudes.

We'll just get another bubble, after a short scare.

Ha
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah!!! Give that man a seegar! Now for the bonus round: where will the next bubble be? Commodities, anyone? MAybe Brazilian equities?

Now I am off to look at 80+ page earnings press releases...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #8

Brazillian equities have been on fire since 2003. Up about 1400%. Even hotter than China.

Good article on Bernanke here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/ma...anke-t.html?hp

I don't think he's going to be a Greenspan-style serial bubble blower.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I always like the Ronald Reagan line (probably not his originally, but who cares)

A recession is when your neighbor loses his job
A depression is when you lose your job and
A recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his job.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #10

congress essentially outlawed future depressions with passage of the "Employment Act of 1946" (most interestingly making the president responsible for that achievement!) the original bill, the “Full Employment Act of 1945” required the federal government to “provide such volume of Federal investment and expenditure as may be needed ... to assure continuing full employment.” the bill was rather emasculated before passage (similarly, a like-minded “Full employment and Balanced Growth Act of 1976,” the now regularly referenced “Humphrey/Hawkins Bill of 1976”); note that the “Full” had been dropped from the title -- so while recessions can still happen, it seems (depending on who’s interpreting the law i suppose) that depressions have been forbidden by law. we should be very grateful that neither of the original bills passed with their initial provisions.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The next bubble will be salaries.

Employers are going to triple wages in '08 and require no additional increase in productivity to boot.

This will allow the employed to continue to continue to buy inflated goods such as houses, which have themselves tripled in price in recent years.

Problem solved. Now I'm off to something challenging.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

recession is when your neighbors are out of work ,,,,,,a depression is when your out of work
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #13

'D' = dead
'R' = rally

DR = dead rally.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
How long before we hear the "D" word...
Less than a day, heard it this morning on BBC from some econ professor, then BBC reported FTSE was up about 1/2 %.
F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah!!! Give that man a seegar! Now for the bonus round: where will the next bubble be? Commodities, anyone? MAybe Brazilian equities?

Now I am off to look at 80+ page earnings press releases...
Commodities. Since the politicians are in charge, Pork Bellies might be the most appropriate.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

And just where is this depression coming from? The 1930’s had high real interest rates due to deflation, with securities being re-priced on that basis. Nothing magic about it.

Today we have 4.5% 30 year Treasury bonds, 5.5 % 30year mortgages, stock earnings yield about 6%, core inflation around 3%. Certainly not high in real terms.

Unemployment is up to 5%, which used to be considered the minimum that it could be.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I'll be it starts to get bandied around in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if there is a technical definition of that like their is the "R: word.
Are we even in a recession yet? Well I guess if CNBC can't scare anyone with the "R" word they have to go to the "D" word to maintain ratings .
Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

People mix up depression and deflation (I'm not saying you are however). Deflation of 1-2%/yr caused real rates to be up around 5%, with nominal at say 3%.

We're in a deflationary environment presently, Rosenberg at Merrill is talking about it among others. Certainly housing is in a huge deflationary bust, at least into the few trillions, and all those financial writedowns account for a (so far) large credit deflation. Additionally money growth has been slowing the past year by several measures, along with money velocity. So we're experiencing credit and monetary deflation, not generalized deflation.

If consumers continue to pull back in spending then we'll see generalized price deflation, probably in a few years. In such an event the long bond would probably settle to around 3%, with mild deflation of 1-2%, giving you a nice 5% real return or so. This was a common occurrence before the 20th century before we went to a more or less permanent state of war.

Depression or recession are harder to define, the quip about 'if I lose my job' is probably pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmark View Post
And just where is this depression coming from? The 1930’s had high real interest rates due to deflation, with securities being re-priced on that basis. Nothing magic about it.

Today we have 4.5% 30 year Treasury bonds, 5.5 % 30year mortgages, stock earnings yield about 6%, core inflation around 3%. Certainly not high in real terms.

Unemployment is up to 5%, which used to be considered the minimum that it could be.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't know of a definition for depression, at least not the economic kind.

I thought a recession was defined as two consecutive quarters of negative real GDP, which we haven't had yet. Nearly everyone fears one but very few are actually predicting one.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #20

My understanding of depression is a drop in real GNP of 10 percent or more and a recession is any two quarters or more of negative real GNP. About .com has the version I have come to understand as a defintion of a depression versus a recession. We are obviously nowhere near a depression at the present time.

Recession? Depression? What's the difference?

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote