How long do you plan to keep your car?

SmallCityDave

Recycles dryer sheets
The car I have now is the best car I've ever had but it's 11 years old and has 110k+ miles, this car should last me another 40-50k without too many problems (unless I get bit by the new car bug).

For those of you getting the most out of every dollar, when do you plan to upgrade? Is it when you reach a certain amount of miles, age or when it becomes too cost prohibitive to keep repairing?

We start thinking about it at 10 years because this is enough time for leaps in technology to make it to the standard models.

We're currently at 10 and 8, but although we are thinking about it, we're still waiting since both cars are reliable. I suspect both will make it past 12, maybe even 15 years, although one may be 200k by then.

So, I guess the answer is a hybrid of time and reliability.

We have a 2005 Honda Civic - costs us very little in maintenance/repairs - when that changes (for the worse) we'll look for a replacement.

We have 2011 and 2012 paid off cars with 55k and 34k miles respectively.
If the 2011 sports car gets to be too expensive maintenance wise, then would consider giving it up; otherwise no plans.
As for the 2012 car, we would like an SUV type replacement, but can't justify to myself to give up a perfect functioning car with 34k miles only.

The car I have now is the best car I've ever had but it's 11 years old and has 110k+ miles, this car should last me another 40-50k without too many problems (unless I get bit by the new car bug).

For those of you getting the most out of every dollar, when do you plan to upgrade? Is it when you reach a certain amount of miles, age or when it becomes too cost prohibitive to keep repairing?

Last year we traded in a 2005 van that we'd had for about 13 1/2 years. A main deciding factor for us was an increasing frequency of problems that made us feel it was no longer reliable.

Newer models have better safety features. A backup camera appears to be standard these days. It's wonderful how it increases visibility when starting to back out of a parking space.

1997 Toyota Camry - 170,000 runs like a kitten. Will keep until it drives no more.
2004 Toyota Camry - 273,000 runs like a kitten. Will keep until it drives no more.
Bodies are in good condition. A little rust on the 1997. We bought them new and took care of them.

Only when the electronic components start giving me problems. Mechanical issues are pretty easy to deal with but electronics can get expensive quickly, especially when the vehicle is not made to repair or replace individual components.
I have a 2011 Tahoe with 140k miles and just bought a 2010 Silverado with 135k miles. Plan to keep both of these hopefully for many more years.

It's a combination of economics, reliability, and just "wanting" something else. For me, the sweet spot is buying a good 3 year old car and keeping it for 6 or 7 years.

Although we generally keep them until they drop, we do make some exceptions. In this case, we'll donate them to a local charity that puts them to good use.

The big exception was DW and I let our cars go at 10 and 13 yrs last time because of advances in airbag technology, primarily side curtains.

My DW had a 1998 Cadillac. Unfortunately, a series of repairs, ending with a blown head gasket ensured it sdemise. She bought a Mazda CX-5 she is happy with, and intends it to be her last car. Talk about a quantum leap in technology! Her Caddy had a tape player, her Mazda allows her to play Pandora from her smartphone through her speakers via Bluetooth.
At age 74, it is the only car she has ever had with NO car payments.

I had a 2003 Hyundai with about 80 K miles on it. Our grandson's car died, so I gave him mine and bought a 2016 Hyundai to replace it. I feel it will be my last car also.

Last summer I donated a 1998 Subaru Outback, still running very good, I just don't need it anymore. I bought it in 1997, so it lasted 20 years.

In Oregon, I have the 2006 Huyndai Sonata v6, run great, I expect to keep it for another 3 or 4 years.

In Florida, I have the 2014 Nissan Maxima, 2007 Honda Odyssey - Expect them to last another 7 years or so then down side to just one last car :)

We buy new and keep cars for 8-11 years based on past history. Most of our cars were over 100K miles when traded in, the highest was 164K (Honda Prelude). What determines when we trade varies based on several factors - past reliability, change in desired utility, new alternatives, etc.

I've bought a new car every year now for at least the last 10 years. Usually I have two or three daily drivers in the garage so it rare for me to have a daily driver that's more than ~3 years old. I like the latest and greatest "stuff" and performance improvements. However, I may not buy another new car in 2019 (maybe) since the new years models, that are of interest to me, are the same as the 2018 models.

Last car (well Jeep) that I bought was ~100k so I'm trying my best to "blow that dough".

Last edited:
My car is a 2007 Corolla which has about 35k miles on it. It is kept in a heated garage most of the time, so it is rarely exposed to the elements. I bought it about 18 months before I ERed in late 2008, with the plan to keep it at least 15 years when I would have unfettered access to my rollover IRA, a potential funding source for a new car. I am only 5 years away from meeting that goal.

The Corolla has had very few problems, nothing particularly costly. But I am aware, from the previous car I owned, that costly repair bills can arise quickly on an older car. Anything over 5 more years with my car is pure gravy.

We both have 2007 cars - Toyota Solara with 115K miles and Lexus ES 350 with 160K miles. Both still run well and have no major issues. Now that we are retired, annual mileage is very low - 3,500 each in 2017 and maybe 4-5K each this year. Not sure when we will replace the cars and whether we will replace both or buy one nice car and one alternative vehicle such as a golf cart or Smart car for local runs.

One thing I’m considering is a new BMW for DH for his 60th next year. He’s been driving the Solara since it was new and would really enjoy having a “drivers’ car.” Even though he’ll only be 60, at the rate we’re putting miles on our cars in retirement, the next one could be our last. Maybe we will buy him a new BMW next year and keep my Lexus until it dies or we decide to get a small local type vehicle.

My 2000 Durango died this year. My 2004 Cavalier is holding on. Shopping for something used in mini SUV with AWD for the DW.

Buy a Toyota/Lexus and it will last more than 20 years. I usually buy used and keep cars for about 6 years

I am usually around 15-20 years on daily driver type cars. Unless a catastrophic event happens. Having multiple vehicles and being able to do most repairs myself I am able to go longer than many would before getting rid of a vehicle.

My old classic cars are a mix, one I have owned for 39 years and no plans to ever sell it, another for 20 when I sold it, few more at the 10-20 range still own them. But then also several that were in the 3-6 year range when I sold them.

Edit to add: Age is not really the factor so much as miles, I almost always run to past 150K or 200K on daily drivers

Last edited:
2014 Camry with 110,000 on it and was thinking of keep it 10 years. However I'm now thinking of getting a small trailer and will need to upgrade to a tow vehicle. If I do I'll trade it for a 2015 with half the miles.

I have never gotten rid of a car with less than 100k miles on it. My current daily driver is a 2008 Honda civic hybrid with 290k miles. When it gets to 300k (in April), I'll get a new car.

I have always done my own maintenance.

My Miata is 21 years old and I have no plans to get rid of it, but values are starting to creep up so I may if the price seems right. After 19 years of ownership I'm starting to lose the enjoyment of a convertible sportster just a bit.

I generally go about 6-10 years with my main car. If I start having problems, or it's not meeting my needs (like the underpowered first year Honda CRV) I'm on the lower end. If there's no reason to sell, I'm on the high end. I've totaled the two best prospects to go longer (one my fault on ice, the other I got hit) so I don't know what my upper end is. What I may do is pass my current one on to my son if his goes. I used to be used, but 3 of my last 4 have been new. You just don't get a good discount on Hondas and Subarus. But my two most reliable cars were bought a couple years used--97 Miata, 86 Acura Integra.

10+ years. At least that’s what I plan for. The last car I had for 17 years. The current car I’ve had for 2 years and I wouldn’t be surprised if I keep it well past 10 years.

Current Honda product is 11 years old with 190K miles and doing well. Was thinking of replacing with an automatic Subaru Impreza hatchback so more in the family could drive it but son enjoys the manual so he would like me to keep it. Probably partly because it decreases competition for the car!

I got rid of my car after 17 years, and only because I wanted the new electronics and navigation now available. It was a Nissan Maxima, had just over 100k miles, and other than routine maintenance and new tires, had nothing more put into it. Ran great and the dealer was shocked at the body still being near perfect (one small ding was it). But I love my new 2017 Honda accord even more!

I’m new to this. One of the perks I gave myself while working was frequent new cars. Now retired, I drive way less. I’m thinking 10 years or about 100K miles. The one exception is that as long as we have two cars and one car is predominantly for local trips, I would keep that car longer. I think my hardest hurdle is my want for a new car versus my need for a new car. I think 10 years is long enough due to technology changes. If I waned to save every penny, I’d literally drive them into the ground. 15 to 20 years and over 200K miles would be no problem as long as the car’s not a lemon from the start and is well maintained.

Back
Top Bottom