Join Early Retirement Today

how long will it last
Old 05-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

how long will it last

i kinda understand the 4% swr-start at 4% increasing by inflation rate thereafter- but, if for instance your earned 7 and took 7, would ya not end up with the original principal amount? understanding that the orig amount would be worth less due to inflation, but, wouldn't you still have it?

blanston
new guy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: how long will it last
Old 05-31-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes but if it was a down year and you earned 0% what would you take then? Or -1%...

Old 05-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanston
i kinda understand the 4% swr-start at 4% increasing by inflation rate thereafter- but, if for instance your earned 7 and took 7,* would ya not end up with the original principal amount?* understanding that the orig amount would be worth less due to inflation, but, wouldn't you still have it?
That may be true but it's not necessarily meaningful. Although the original principal has to support a higher withdrawal of a greater number of inflation-ravaged dollars, the portfolio also has to survive one year less. The trick is to ensure that the portfolio lasts at least as long as you do.

FIRECalc looks at how often a portfolio survives. If you demand that it have some leftover at the end, then that much less is available for FIRECalc to use during "bad" times, which tends to reduce a portfolio's survival rate. FIRECalc ignores the year-to-year principal amount (as long as it's higher than zero!) since the portfolio will grow in value during good years and decline in value during bad ones.

The "initial 4%" method may consume the portfolio's value over its lifespan. Or it might not, but FIRECalc doesn't care as long as there's something left to work with.

Other methods have been proposed that may or may not support a timely or successful ER. For example you could accumulate a huge pile of dividend-paying principal, live off the dividends without touching the principal, and hope that all those dividend-paying investments keep up with inflation. (The amount you need for this withdrawal method may discourage most investors from considering it.)

Or, as Cut-Throat has pointed out, you could withdraw no more than 50% of your principal each year. If you follow that method you'll never deplete the principal. Of course the amount of your annual withdrawals will quickly drop into single digits, but technically your portfolio will survive.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe the short answer is that taxes and inflation will intrude on that plan.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

If you take out the growth on the portfolio every year, then even if the portfolio never went down, your portfolio value would remain constant.* But the portfolio will do down some years, so you take nothing out. And in the subsequent years, you still take nothing, until the portfolio builds back to its starting point and then grows enough to allow another withdrawal.

The discussions and research that wind up with a 4% conclusion leave enough in your portfolio in the good years to allow for withdrawals in the bad years, and also enough more to grow so that your withdrawals could increase to keep up with inflation.

While inflation is just an annoyance when looking year by year, the cumulative effects are enormous. Just for example, someone who retired quite early in 1960 would be spending about $50,000 today to buy the same goods and services that $8,000 would have bought in 1960.* Had they adopted a strategy that didn't keep up with inflation, they would be trying to survive today on that $8,000 a year.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 45-years-of-inflation.gif (5.9 KB, 271 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gif_thumb 45-years-of-inflation.gif_thumb (8.4 KB, 0 views)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And you'd be saying "Hello and welcome to walmart!".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
And you'd be saying "Hello and welcome to walmart!".
And at your second job you'd be saying "would you like fries with that?"

Old 06-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

what if- assuming an average return of 7%, you took withrew 7% only in the years the portfolio returned 7% or more and, withdrew nothing in the years the return was less than 7%. how much would the portfolio balance be in twenty years? and what would it be worth?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
what if- assuming an average return of 7%, you took withrew 7% only in the* years the portfolio returned 7% or more and, withdrew nothing in the years the return was less than 7%.* *how much would the portfolio balance be in twenty years? and what would it be* worth?
okay, i'll bite; what's the answer?
follow-on question: what does one eat during those <7% years?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
...follow-on question: what does one eat during those <7% years?
With no money being withdrawn...one could only afford to eat air.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
With no money being withdrawn...one could only afford to eat air.*

During periods of inversions layers the air in Phoenix is thick enough to eat, but I'm pretty sure it's also carcinogenic.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

ok-

is rental income considered air or fries? what about pension and ssi?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanston
ok-

is rental income considered air or fries?* what about pension and ssi?
Rental income is return on your principle unless your tenant moves out. Pensions and SS are a nice floor for your withdraws. Unless you have a COLA pension, inflation will kill your pension.

When I got out of college in 1973, I figured if I could ever save $200,000 I wouldn't know what to do with all of the money I'd get in just interest. It was well over my starting salary. Now I'm trying to decide if I can get by on anything less that $2,000,000. Inflation is the darkside of compound interest. If you don't plan for it you will see how well you can live on SS. Unfortunately, that's what most people will do.