Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How long will this shakeout last?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How long will this shakeout last?

For the first 5 months of '07 I was riding high on my returns...everything was up up up! But the last two weeks have been humbling, as volatility has returned to strike me down from the heights of hubris. So how long will we have to suffer these slings and arrows of the market's cruel horde? Do the soothsayers among you see continued malaise in 2H'07?
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
For the first 5 months of '07 I was riding high on my returns...everything was up up up! But the last two weeks have been humbling, as volatility has returned to strike me down from the heights of hubris. So how long will we have to suffer these slings and arrows of the market's cruel horde? Do the soothsayers among you see continued malaise in 2H'07?
Some would say this is classic "sell in May and go away" theory.

Go back to same time last year, Market was about even for the year,
the end of the bull market, blah blah blah. Those that sold missed out
on about 25% gains.

IMWO (In my worthless opinion)
Market was hoping for a fed rate drop, finally realized it's not going to
happen, I expect frothiness for the next 4-5 months.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Until people get "used" to treasuries >= 5.25%. In the meantime, investment houses have a lot of rejiggering to do of their portfolios.

But this is really small potatoes so far. Things like this happen all the time. You can't expect markets to run up indefinitely. Don't you remember the 3% "correction" in February?

Get used to volatility. It's around more often than not. Best to ignore it.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Weeks to months, I'd guess. Pick your spots and see if you can scoop up some cheap stuff while it lasts, but invest based on what you think will happen in the next few years to decades, not weeks or months.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Weeks to months, I'd guess.
At this rate some of my shorts will qualify for long-term cap gains.

I don't know how much market fundamentals matter to the investing herd right now, but the psychology is probably driving things. It's going to take everyone another month or two, at a minimum, to get over their Fed fears. And hurricane season will be around for five months!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Do the soothsayers among you see continued malaise in 2H'07?
nope, not too much more, I'm stilllll buying on the dip (mostly utilities and divi stocks--modestly), Life Equities is are Good, it's different this time, stop and smell the roses. Need I say more?

Seriously, everything of mine has been hit a little lately. I'm down approximatly 3%. I think we'll all have a good fall and winter. Everybody should have tested and back tested their asset allocation plan, follow it, and have confidence in it. If not, they're not doin stuff right.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
At this rate some of my shorts will qualify for long-term cap gains.
My understanding is that short sales are taxed as short term gains regardless of how long they are held. Again, my understanding is that's the case because you aren't holding the security -- you only actually hold it from the time you buy until you deliver to close the short sale.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
So how long will we have to suffer these slings and arrows of the market's cruel horde? Do the soothsayers among you see continued malaise in 2H'07?
Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z I don't even bother to look except when my annual review rolls around and I check to see if a rebalancing tweak is needed.

Stay the Course. Sleep well.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #9

On the plus side, I have mutual fund distributions at the end of the month...at least they will be reinvested at cheaper prices!
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I need to look around and see what I should be buying with the cash that had been sitting around in my account.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It'll last until about 3 weeks before I close on the sale of my old house, whereupon it will fly up 30%...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Caught the tail end of some guy last night on Nightly Business Report(PBS) saying the market was 20% UNDERvalued.

Now that's a sure fire kiss of death - I may have till pre season is over and regular NFL starts for my entertainment.

Hmmm - kayak break over the summer, then stocks and football in the fall.

Meanwhile for the 'real money' I have a prayer rug and compass so I can bow in the direction of Valley Forge and meditate on the noise of a Vanguard computer rebalancing as the market wiggles.

Which brings brings me to - I know from watching PBS the sounds they make in Nepal - but what is the sound of a Vanguard computer rebalancing a Target Retirement Fund??

heh heh heh - buy some stocks in October, maybe bet on a Saint's game, argue with my sister about the Pat's. Meanwhile take the summer off.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
It'll last until about 3 weeks before I close on the sale of my old house, whereupon it will fly up 30%...
Excellent news! Just be sure to let us all know when it is 4 weeks before the close, okay? (I confess, I dream of being a dirty market timer!)
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I looked pretty smart when I sold off half my equities in my taxable account just before the 400 point drop. Then I was dumb again. Now i'm smart again.

Its all a matter of holding out for your acceptable level of intelligence.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I looked pretty smart when I sold off half my equities in my taxable account just before the 400 point drop. Then I was dumb again. Now i'm smart again.

CFB.... I keep telling my BIL that just because you were 'right' does not mean you were 'smart'...

I had written the a bit longer... but lost it... so here is a short version....

There was a log shooting down river with an ant on top... he thought that he was driving....

Just having some fun...

I do think you are one of the 'smart' ones...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #16

You heard it here first!

The market will continue down until it levels off or starts to recover. If you make anything in the next 6 weeks, my MER for this advice is just 4.6%.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

could we have a dirty lil market timer in our midst ha ha ha
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We're still DCA'ng net buyers, so I really don't care much.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #19

I still have 14 years until FIRE, so all I see is a buying opportunity!
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Was the ant's name Warren?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote