Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How long will your fixed asset position take you?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've got about 7 to 8 years at current spending level with some cushion built in. I am hoping my equity positions recover by then or I am going to have to come up with a plan C. (Plan B was the possibility of having to live off the fixed assets for some period of time).
shotgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Depending upon how dividends hold up I can probably go 14+ years.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

At current spending levels, 4+ years if I start SS at age 62.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

CDs plus pension-annuity-style payouts will take me three years. I expect the rest of my fixed assets to outlive me provided the dollar has some value and the creek don't rise. I will continue adding to equities along the way, and will be interested to see where they are in 15 years. I will not pa-nique.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After my 2.5 years worth in short term accounts, I have another 14 years worth of cash and bonds in my retirement fund. This will come down after I rebalance. I'll be reluctant to let it drop much under 10 years though.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

I'll be at about 2 years cash if I get to make my last planned cash to equity buy. I'm adding about 1 year cash to equities today. I may go lower if the market keeps falling significantly and my HELOC is still working. I'm definitely spending down the cash and moving again to 100% equities. No need to hold or slowly spend a bunch of cash while the market recovers, and I don't want to hold a bunch of cash all the time as part of my AA. If you put cash in during the market lows, the market only has to pass those lows before you need to sell for those equity buys to have payed off. Will the market stay this low or lower for two more years? Worst case is that it goes lower for two years and I'll have to sell some of the equities I just bought for a small loss. The best case is that the market recovers completely in two years (ha!) and I gain 50% on the equities I buy today. I'm OK with that.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #7

The cash survival time depends on a lot of variables. What will be the "safe" interest rate? What will inflation do? What budget level will I follow -- nice or austere? Should I assume the Bernicke spending reduction?

On the nice budget and current rates, I can get by for about 8 years. I would have a hard time justifying a lot of travel or many luxuries if my equities were falling.

If I kick down to austerity spending, I'm good to age 100. After that, I'm sure I won't care.

I was targeting for 60/40 equities/fixed and with the drop I'm probably 50/50 by now. I don't plan on moving any cash into equities. I am continuing to buy equities in my 401k and SEPP plans but they aren't keeping up the equity portion.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Two years' expenses in cash.

Dividends have been ramping up nicely (through the beginning of 2008, anyway) and could nearly extend that indefinitely if necessary.

Then there's always the kid's college fund...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

4-5 in true cash/cds and then a big slug in Wellessely -

I have been throwing cash in the market as it has been falling - I am considering throwing more/rebalencing....but I may just hold tight - the fear is thick out there and this could get worse.
Two men at our sons soccer game on Saturday were talking about pulling there $ out of the market this week before it really crashes - it's this mindset that could make the crash happen....

Oh, Mommie!! Said with Seinfelds Kramer flair...........
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #10

just about long enough to get me a job.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #11

I am "all cash" and I project I will "run out" of money, not die, at age 97.2 years. If I am still here then I will file for a "bail out" or go back to school to learn a trade.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3 1/2 years living expenses in cash. 6 years bare bones.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

12 years at subsistence level, but at full level if I were working part-time. Full SS in about 6 years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

5 years in cash/CDs.....another 5 in my bond fund.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #15

I am 50, retired 2 years.

My fiixed assets would only last a few months, since I keep almost everything in stocks. However, I can live indefinitely on the dividends, which have been rising considerably faster than inflation.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #16

At least ten years but probably more like 12. DW can begin collecting social security next year. I have been buying more high dividend stocks as the market fell, so dividend income should be over $9K a year. Those two together should nearly cover all discretionary spending, while COLA'd pension covers all basic living costs. While I don't enjoy seeing my net worth fall, I'm not losing any sleep over it.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #17

About 8 times current spending. With dividends, interest and a 5K CPP, should last 12 years or more if we have to lower lifestyle.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at about 5 years and 33 years old.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #19

We probably have about 10 years. However, as DH has not yet retired and I am only semi-retired, we are likely to keep working at least part time until the market shows signs of stabilising. I am not sure that it would be a good time to FIRE given the current market conditions.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
I've got about 7 to 8 years at current spending level with some cushion built in. I am hoping my equity positions recover by then or I am going to have to come up with a plan C. (Plan B was the possibility of having to live off the fixed assets for some period of time).
Cash for 4 years in pre crash of 2008 mode. Being I have no debt of any sort, I'm sure I can clamp down enough to make at least 10 years before I start getting really creative on how to make a nickel bleed.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote