Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How long would you return to work to double your nest egg?
Not a single day! 46 36.80%
Less than 1 Year 19 15.20%
1 year 22 17.60%
2 years 13 10.40%
3 years 9 7.20%
4 years 4 3.20%
5 or more years 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

How Long Would You Work To Double Your Nest Egg?
Old 09-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How Long Would You Work To Double Your Nest Egg?

I know a lot of people here deal with "one more year" and "golden handcuffs". I'm in a situation where I've more or less hit my number, but my business is doing very well and for the next couple years I should be making 2-3 times what I made the last five. Enough that, with some luck, I can double my nest egg in just a few years. Is it worth it? If you've retired already but you could double your nest egg by working a couple more years would you?

bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How young are you?

Old 09-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
If you've retired already but you could double your nest egg by working a couple more years would you?
For me, it would depend on quite a few factors (in no particular order).

1) My current age and health. Working two more years at 56 is a lot different that working two more years at 46.
2) Are my current assets enough to satisfy my want/needs?
3) What are you giving up to double the nest egg? Best years of my grandkids lives? Best remaining years of your life?
4) Is there something you want that you can't currently afford? Lamborghini, beach house, etc. Is it worth giving up two more years of your life to buy this?
5) Do you have satisfaction in retirement (e.g., something to retire to), or are you bored, and wanting to achieve something?
6) What is your estimated withdrawal rate with current assets? If it's 3-3.5%, then no need to keep increasing the size of the pie.
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would work 2 weeks to double my nest egg. I donít know what I would do with the extra $, so I donít want to waste too much time making the extra $.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Not one minute.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How young are you?
I'm 48, but I'm interested to hear what everyone on the board would do in their personal situation today even if it doesn't directly apply to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill
Are my current assets enough to satisfy my want/needs?
My current assets are probably enough to satisfy my needs, but wants . . . well, I'm sure I can come up with something!
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I would work 2 weeks to double my nest egg. I donít know what I would do with the extra $, so I donít want to waste too much time making the extra $.
Sounds about right to me. I just couldn't see going back to the work grind. And the reality is that anyone offering me that kind of money is going to be looking for a lot of work in return.

While I was looking I hung in there longer than I needed to, because I was in a comfortable role without a lot of expectations, but the days of doubling my nest egg (like what happened in the early years, most every year) were gone.

You said you "more or less" hit your goal. In your shoes I would probably hang in for another year or two if you don't mind the work. You'll probably never have that opportunity again, so in my mind, better to pad your nest egg while you can do it in a big way, than to find out you were a bit off and had to go back to work for another couple years (just as long as if you'd stayed), just to get yourself back to "good enough".
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Nobody on their deathbed has ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office".....Paul Tsongas

I have had a comfortable life but not extravagant. I got to a point in my work career that I was making more and more money but yet I was not any more or less happy.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I worked 6 years extra to reach 2X, but returns were above average as was my income during those 6 years. So it wasn’t exactly planned...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The key word is ďmy businessĒ. I never had one....If it was my baby and it was doing well, it might be hard for me to let it go. Unless it was not enjoyable. I dont remember you stating either way, your emotional satisfaction or not.... My decision was a no brainer. I am a pensioner, so there really wasnt a reason to work longer as the pension is all I need. And oddly enough, more is stacking up now than ever despite being retired. Wish I could have saved like this at a younger age. Now it just backs up because I have lost zest for material things for some odd reason.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

I am semi retired and have recently committed to 3 more years with my business partner before shutting down (or selling). I will be 48ish.

So, count me in for 5 more years from today if it would mean millions more. What the heck. I'm already handsome, might as well be rich too.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm in a situation where I've more or less hit my number
If I were in a situation where I was that wishy-washy about "hitting my number," then I'd probably keep working.

I'm not. So no.

I did go back to consult on a part-time basis with my former employer. But that was for fun. I'd do that again. If it wasn't fun, then I wouldn't have done it, even though the money was good.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #13

Quote:
I know a lot of people here deal with "one more year" and "golden handcuffs". I'm in a situation where I've more or less hit my number, but my business is doing very well and for the next couple years I should be making 2-3 times what I made the last five. Enough that, with some luck, I can double my nest egg in just a few years. Is it worth it? If you've retired already but you could double your nest egg by working a couple more years would you?
Depends on the following-
1) Am I adding to nest egg while waiting, or letting the balance ride?
2) Can I reduce hours worked while I am waiting
3) Am I changing asset allocation?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #14

3 years.
But since I retired from a technical position over five years ago I doubt anyone's going to offer me five times what I was making then.....
Guess I'm now stuck with gold digging gigolo option now. Good thing I'm so darn good looking.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Now it just backs up because I have lost zest for material things for some odd reason.
That is interesting. Same here for the most part.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

How long? Try zero.

Since the bottom of the 2008-09 recession, in early 2009, I have nearly doubled my nest egg without working a day. That's my kind of math!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

You are only 48 so I would definitely stay.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
You are only 48 so I would definitely stay.
Plus, if I liked the work, I'd stay for as long as I felt good about what I was doing. Toward the end for me, I would have had to stay way more than a few years and I don't think even staying for ten would have significantly changed my life in retirement. And, I just didn't feel it any longer. It was time to go. More money just wouldn't have made a significant difference in the equation.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #19

Depends on the size of the nest egg. Between additional savings and returns on what I already had, I figure I could have had another $1 million if I'd worked to age 65 instead of retiring at age 61 (that would have increased nest egg by about 40%). Don't regret ER at all. If the nest egg had been something far more modest I probably would have gone looking for another job.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:28 AM   #20

Quote:
I might do more than 2 weeks, but not a lot more. We already have what we need.