Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How many bond funds are needed?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many bond funds are needed?

I am the proud investor in these bond funds:Vanguard Short-Term; Vanguard High Yield; Buffalo High Yield (in an IRA) and Dodge and Cox Income Fund (in an IRA). I also have the TIPs ETF. Too many bond funds? Does the Dodge and Cox Income Fund cover everything, so I don't actually need the other funds?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How many bond funds are needed?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck
I am the proud investor in these bond funds:Vanguard Short-Term; Vanguard High Yield; Buffalo High Yield (in an IRA) and Dodge and Cox Income Fund (in an IRA). I also have the TIPs ETF. Too many bond funds? Does the Dodge and Cox Income Fund cover everything, so I don't actually need the other funds?
I don't know about TIPS, but DODIX can and does hold HY bonds, and can shift its duration around [for example, going from ST to IT, etc.], as well as shift sectors around [Treasuries, Corporates, Mortgages]. You could always call Dodge and Cox and ask about TIPS.

I view DODIX as a substitute for an IT total bond fund [like VBMFX].

Any reason you'd want to own 2 HY bond funds?

- Alec
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #3

[Any reason you'd want to own 2 HY bond funds?]

- Alec

Not really. Awhile back, I was able to buy the Buffalo HY Fund at Schwab (in my IRA) with no transaction fee. Thought it was a good idea at the time (so did Barron's Magazine--that's where I got the idea). My guess it's not a necessary part of my portfolio. I could sell it and put the proceeds into Dodge and Cox Income Fund. One less fund to monitor. Oh, D&C income fund does have TIPs in it.

And, one day, I'm going to figure out how to quote a reply the correct way on this website. (But, probably not today).
Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #4

I carry very few actual bonds in my portfolio. I am invested in some LLCs that return 9-10% annually with very low volatility and minimal risk, so I basically consider that my bond portion.

Also, I have a couple of Whole Life insurance policies (got duped, but now that I'm in... might as well) that I consider also the "bond" part of my portfolio.

Everything else is in equities... my 401k has a 0% bond allocation, and after tax I'm in the Vanguard Total Market as well as the aforementioned LLCs (which I also carry some shares in my Roth IRAs).
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, IMO DODIX is good enough. One nice thing about DODIX is that they shorten or lengthen the duration based on where the best value is in the yield curve.

The only other thing is if you want a couple of years of money in shorter-term income - money that you expect to withdraw in 2-3 years time. Then a short term or ultra short term will take care of that. Might be a good enhancement.

Holding high yield funds usually increases total return, but it also increases your credit risk and volatility. Another problem with high yield is that it tanks when stocks tank (and vice versa) so it doesn't really give you the rebalancing benefit that other fixed income will.

Audrey
Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
[Any reason you'd want to own 2 HY bond funds?]

- Alec

Not really. Awhile back, I was able to buy the Buffalo HY Fund at Schwab (in my IRA) with no transaction fee. Thought it was a good idea at the time (so did Barron's Magazine--that's where I got the idea). My guess it's not a necessary part of my portfolio. I could sell it and put the proceeds into Dodge and Cox Income Fund. One less fund to monitor. Oh, D&C income fund does have TIPs in it.

And, one day, I'm going to figure out how to quote a reply the correct way on this website. (But, probably not today).
The whole quoting thingee is not all that hard. Simply pick the post that you want to quote and click "quote".

As long as your fine with DODIX's management moving the fund's holdings around as they see fit, you're good. Though, it is a little pricey for me for a bond fund.

- Alec
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
It depends if you want to do "sliced and diced" or fine tuning on bond allocation.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I have 3 bond funds in my portfolio.

1) TIPS Idx fund @ Vanguard (I have it in RO IRA as well as my Roth)

2) Intermediate-Term Bond Idx fund @ VG (Also RO and Roth)

(Note: The above funds include about 40% of my entire stash)

3) ST Bond index fund @ VG (It is the back-up for my taxable Prime MMF also @ VG) Currently returning less that PMMF, so it is not a current winner.

I tend to favor equities over fixed investments, so I generally retain that part of my stuff as a diversification play.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote