Join Early Retirement Today

How many DIY Investors Do You Know
Old 04-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many DIY Investors Do You Know

Just curious and thought I would pose the question as to how many people you personally know that are investment DIYers. Basically those who manage their portfolios without the aid of a financial advisor. I have many friends and darn near all of them use a FA/Broker and really don't have a good handle on what investments they actually own. I would think that we here at the ER forum are pretty much in the minority.

Thoughts, comments, etc. ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know any in person, just a bunch here anonymously. Thank goodness for this place!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Other than on this forum and my two adult children, the number of DIY investors I'm acquainted with = zero. (I don't consider several relatives who have their entire nest eggs in CDs to meet my definition of an investor...)
Old 04-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #4

Same as above - none in person, though I'm only really familiar with the financial workings of one person outside of this forum other than my family.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

Pretty much everybody at every megacorp. They pick something for their 401k funds and let it ride. Wouldn't that count?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I don't know any personally either.

I do know a guy on the home theater forum that does his own stuff, but he works for a broker and holds a securities license and I've never met him.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
... those who manage their portfolios without the aid of a financial advisor...
My two brothers, my sister and brother-in-law, now my children, son-in-law. My friends and former co-workers, but then we were all nerdy engineers. And I know of only one past coworker with an FA.

PS. The thread title should state "DIY investors". I first thought it was about people owning radial/table saws, floor jacks, pneumatic tools, etc...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Pretty much everybody at every megacorp. They pick something for their 401k funds and let it ride. Wouldn't that count?
+1. Most of my ex-coworkers had no idea what their 401ks were invested in.

Other than that, one buddy (in person) is DIY.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My 3 former partners manage their own investments. Other than that - none personally. Most of the people I know work or used to work at megacorps that are actively marketed by FAs. And those people rely on the FAs to handle their investments.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know one guy who proudly pays an FA 1% of other monies to have his FA tell him where to put his 401k contributions.

Other than 1. My sister, 2. a friend who's SO was a CFO, 3. me, that's the universe according to me.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Daughters and sons-in law are DIY. The thing is, about the only way I know of anyone else's investment process is when they say something like, "My guy tells me I'm doing OK." I suspect that there are DIYers out there that don't advertise the way that people with FAs do. So I would say that I know of several people who don't DIY, but the truth is, that for the vast majority of people I know, I haven't a clue.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I do not know the answer to that Q. My finances/investments are not discussed with anyone that I am around. DW's family recently went thru an inheritance issue and I believe that she discussed briefly that we invest on our own @ VG. Not even sure if they grasped what that means.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't know any in person, just a bunch here anonymously. Thank goodness for this place!
+1

I am racking my brain on this one. One friend is DYI but doesn't understand money (or investments). I used to have more but I have been losing them. One decided it was a good idea to turn his whole nest egg over to a pretty annuity saleswoman. I hope it works out for him.
Lost contact with people managing their 401ks when I left megacorp.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #14

I'm sure DIYers are out there but finances tend not to be a topic of discussion with friends, at least not in detail, such as who is investing in what and how. Too much potential for hard feelings one way or the other.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #15

I know 1 1/2 people. A co-worker and I talk stocks, compare online brokers and other investments. He's into real estate but I'm not. Sounds interesting but not something I'm looking to invest in. The half is a sister that has all her money in savings account and cd's. She lost money in the stock market years ago and is afraid of losing again. I'm always surprised at other friends that are using FA's. They talk about what the FA has them in and how their accounts are doing. Some of these are smart people that have successful businesses. We don't talk details but talk general.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Only if they know the name of the fund, exp. ratio and if it is an actively managed fund or and index fund.

I did taxes, five years for Block and three years for VITA and if I saw on a W2 if a person had contributed to a 401K I would tell them how smart they were for tax deferring income and saving for retirement. I would then ask them what kind of fund and exp. ratio and not a one out of probably over two hundred people could answer.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just curious and thought I would pose the question as to how many people you personally know that are investment DIYers. Basically those who manage their portfolios without the aid of a financial advisor. I have many friends and darn near all of them use a FA/Broker and really don't have a good handle on what investments they actually own. I would think that we here at the ER forum are pretty much in the minority.

Thoughts, comments, etc. ?
I'm not really sure. It is surprising how many people do not even choose to do their own taxes, much less their own investing.

One woman at the gym found out that I am a DIY investor, and wanted a hot stock tip. I told her just index funds.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That would absolutely count. Determining an AA, making investment choices to support it and doing the "buy and hold" thing is the classic DIYer.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
, but the truth is, that for the vast majority of people I know, I haven't a clue.

Ditto
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only if they know the name of the fund, exp. ratio and if it is an actively managed fund or and index fund.

I did taxes, five years for Block and three years for VITA and if I saw on a W2 if a person had contributed to a 401K I would tell them how smart they were for tax deferring income and saving for retirement. I would then ask them what kind of fund and exp. ratio and not a one out of probably over two hundred people could answer.
Not being diligent and/or knowledgeable doesn't mean they are not DIYers. They are indeed doing it themselves.