Join Early Retirement Today

How many months of cash in your portfolio do you keep?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When you are retired. Thanks in advance.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #2

When I was working/accumulating never more than 3-6 months.

Now I'm in "drawdown" (although the rising market has kept drawdown from happening), and after 8 years of up market, I've got about 100 (counting <5 yr CD maturity as cash).
Old 09-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
gone traveling

I'm not retired yet and am not using a portfolio for income, but usually keep a running balance of about 6 months cash in bank accounts. However at this moment I'm sitting on about 30.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
When I was working/accumulating never more than 3-6 months.

Now I'm in "drawdown" (although the rising market has kept drawdown from happening), and after 8 years of up market, I've got about 100 (counting <5 yr CD maturity as cash).
So a little over 8 years of cash.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
gone traveling

Zero, if I need cash right now I have to sell some gold or silver. I have around $75 that I can withdrawal from my checking account without bouncing anything
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

Whatever is in my checking account. On average probably about 4 weeks of spending. Starts out the quarter high when I sweep my quarterly dividends to the bank. By the end of the quarter, I am sometimes down to selling off stocks or bonds to raise cash.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Zero, if I need cash right now I have to sell some gold or silver. I have around $75 that I can withdrawal from my checking account without bouncing anything
How do you cut it so close?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I am retired, and very cautious and conservative in financial matters because that is just how I am.

I keep 5.5% cash in a Vanguard money market account in my portfolio. If I assume that SS and pension will continue, and subtract that from my spending, then right now that 5.5% would cover 41 months.

(Bear in mind that we are enjoying a huge bull market at present, and if/when we have another severe recession, it would not cover nearly as many months.... for example, a recession as deep as what we saw on 3/9/2009 would mean it would cover 28 months, if I did not adjust my spending accordingly.)

Actually I have more than that, because this is not including my local bank account in the bricks-n-mortar bank down the street. I don't count my bank account as part of my portfolio. I withdrew my 2017 spending money back in January and that, plus a substantial buffer, is in the bank. If that is included too, then I have 60 months.

Most people do not need this much, IMO. I just like having a lot of cash around.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am retired, and very cautious and conservative in financial matters because that is just how I am.

I keep 5.5% cash in a Vanguard money market account in my portfolio. If I assume that SS and pension will continue, and subtract that from my spending, then right now that 5.5% would cover 41 months.

(Bear in mind that we are enjoying a huge bull market at present, and if/when we have another severe recession, it would not cover nearly as many months.)

Actually I have more than that, because this is not including my local bank account in the bricks-n-mortar bank down the street. I don't count my bank account as part of my portfolio. I withdrew my 2017 spending money back in January and that, plus a substantial buffer, is in the bank. If that is included too, then I have 60 months.

Most people do not need this much, IMO. I just like having a lot of cash around.
Do you put your dividends into cash?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 8 years or so in Cash.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not much. Typically, 1 or 2 months in bank checking & savings accounts. However, I can write checks on my Vanguard Short Term Investment Grade fund if necessary; that'd be years worth.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I get a monthly dividend in cash from a big bond fund so I don't actually keep much in cash beyond that - maybe one month just as a buffer to avoid monthly checking account fees plus $500 more. I also get a quarterly dividend in cash from a stock fund to supplement the rest of the cash coming in.

I don't like keeping any big amounts in cash because it earns zilch and any earnings are fully taxable. I do keep a first-tier emergency fund in an intermediate-term muni bond fund.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Do you put your dividends into cash?
Absolutely. Then I use the cash in rebalancing during the first week in January, after withdrawing that year's spending money. So, as of today I have 6.21% cash in Vanguard money market (and I guess that represents a few more months than I specified in my previous post). Next January after I withdraw my 2018 spending money and then rebalance, it will go back to 5.5%.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
How do you cut it so close?

I know what my monthly expense are and I keep just enough in checking to cover it. I usually don't run it that close but the last couple months have been challenging and I've had to sell some silver.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
So a little over 8 years of cash.
Hahahah, thats definitely a bucket full.!
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #16

Quote:
I know what my monthly expense are and I keep just enough in checking to cover it. I usually don't run it that close but the last couple months have been challenging and I've had to sell some silver.
I am guessing you spend the dividends as they come in.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Hahahah, thats the direct opposite of the poster above,.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have a GIC ladder, but as interest rates have been ridiculously low for the last couple of years, I have not renewed the last couple of GICs as they matured. So currently I have about 2 years (24 months) expenses in cash.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #19

I see answers all over the place here. I guess it is best to keep as little cash as you safety can. Right now I have about 6 years if my dividends get cut in half in a bear market. I think that is a little bit to much. I might cut that in half.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
About 5 years worth.
I'd like to reduce it to 3-4 years worth, but am waiting for the next recession or collapse of market before doing that.
If it doesn't happen, I can always just feel super secure not worrying about it happening.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote