4 20 17.24%
5 10 8.62%
6 2 1.72%
0 3 2.59%
more than 6 5 4.31%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Re: how many tvs do you have
Old 01-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

65" crt set in the bedroom
55" crt set in the spare bedroom
55" LCoS set in the livingroom
110" projector in the living room
32" LCD monitor/tv in the office on the main 'puter
27" set in Gabes room
30" set on mothballs in the storage room other spare bedroom
13" set for setting up tivo's, checking the satellite meters and other portable stuff
10" set for watching sports in the backyard on good days
5" set for travelling

We gave three away when I moved. I'll be replacing that 55" crt set in the spare room when it blows up. Which wont be long.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

()

Gotta stay out of appliance stores.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #23

CHP: So Martha, what else do you want to know? Writing a book or becoming a profilier?

I have 8 tvs because why?... I just do.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

73SS454...my problem is Sams Club. The local one is one of the stores that sells their own returns, "last ones" and displays. When I see a tv sitting in the aisle for half price that was taken home, had some 'mystery problem' that was probably user error and they give me a 100% satisfaction guarantee/return anytime policy...its hard not to grab it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hardly ever watch "network" tv, but do watch HGTV, FoodTV, Travel channel, History channel, plus various movie channels, if something happens to be on.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

One 12" screen tv which was $59.00 @ Wal-Mart and my computer has a bigger screen.

Amazing that I pay just under $500.00/year for programming and have a 10 cent tv. Works for me.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have not had a TV for about 3yrs and I have worked in the TV industry for about 25 yrs. In the past I didn't have a TV for varying time periods from 2 to 5 years. Basically, I find TV insulting to my intelligence. (I do not consider myself intelligent; by the way*). If you are of a certain age you have seen everything there is to see on TV with the execption of news and sports (if you are interested in Sports - I spent most of my life in TV Sports).
Comedy - the same jokes re-packaged
Drama - the same plots re-packaged

Studies have shown that the brain waves of those watching TV are very similar to those on hieron (drugs).

Getting rid of your TV is the best thing you can do for yourself, to get to know yourself and a good challenge.

You will go through several phases.

1. You will have a list of things to do and do them - you will not miss TV
2. You have done everything and you will feel the pull of TV - you want to get a quick fix or taste.
3. You are faced with yourself - what will you do.
4. You don't miss TV
5. You see TV at others homes and you realize that you aren't missing anything.

*Just look at my spelling. Then again Julius Ceasear couldn't spell in English either. Second glass of wine warning!
Old 01-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I have not had a TV for about 3yrs and I have worked in the TV industry for about 25 yrs.* In the past I didn't have a TV for varying time periods from 2 to 5 years.* Basically, I find TV insulting to my intelligence.* (I do not consider myself intelligent; by the way*).* If you are of a certain age you have seen everything there is to see on TV with the execption of news and sports (if you are interested in Sports - I spent most of my life in TV Sports).
Comedy - the same jokes re-packaged
Drama - the same plots re-packaged

Studies have shown that the brain waves of those watching TV are very similar to those on hieron (drugs).

Getting rid of your TV is the best thing you can do for yourself, to get to know yourself and a good challenge.

You will go through several phases.

1. You will have a list of things to do and do them -* you will not miss TV
2. You have done everything and you will feel the pull of TV - you want to get a quick fix or taste.
3.* You are faced with yourself - what will you do.
4. You don't miss TV
5. You see TV at others homes and you realize that you aren't missing anything.

*Just look at my spelling.* Then again Julius Ceasear couldn't spell in English either. Second glass of wine warning!
Outstanding post.* I have tried giving up tv completely, to no avail.* I like to watch sports and some news programs.* I think most people would be surprised at how much tv they really do watch.* Keep a log for a couple of weeks.*

But anyway, your message is appropriate.* TV is addictive and mind-numbing.* Oh, and I hate commercials.* Too *&**** loud.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

1 TV, and the sound is crapping out on it. Not in any hurry to get it fixed or replaced.

Bpp
Old 01-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

1 TV, a gift from an aunt way back in 1988.

It was in the living room until a couple of months ago.* I get 6 regular channels with varying degrees of graininess.

I moved it to the bedroom and have become addicted to censored reruns of "Sex and the City" on the WB channel. I watch before sleeping. The only other show I would miss is "Now" on PBS but it's easy to miss anyway 'cause it's only 30 minutes short now.

Because of moving the TV to the bedroom, I thought I needed to buy a headboard, but ended up buying a whole bed frame.*

No plans to buy a new TV; can always borrow DVD recordings of TV shows and play them on the home-theater projector system.* (brewer, I hear Gilmore Girls is good; might borrow the DVDs if they are available at the libe.)
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #31

a 65" mitsu Living room
a 32" Zenith Sunroom
27" RCA Basement
25" Panasonic Bedroom
19"Magnavox in the garage
Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

One 27" tv mainly for the golf, food, and movie channels.*
Old 01-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

X-files isn't on any more?!

I went TV-less for about 5 or so years and about a year ago I brought it out of storage. I don't mind turning my mind to mush a couple of hours a week (golf is great for this) and there are a few fun things to watch. One thing I've noticed has changed over the five years is that they show a lot more dead bodies, more paranormal shows, and sex topics are more rampant and involve a younger age group. The number of shootings and car chases seems about the same. And all of the old rock stars that do concerts for PBS fund raising ought to take up painting or something besides sing, except Peter. Paul and Mary.

I went down to the video store and found out they don't stock VHS tapes to rent anymore so had to buy a DVD player. The TV I have has a built in VHS player, so I guess that's useless now. The movies I've rented so far are not much better than TV, as I've sort of kept up with the really good ones at the theater. Well, come to think of it I might put everything back into storage come spring, but I may have to sneak it out occationally to watch "O Brother Where Art Thou". It's a hoot.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #34

34" Sony Wega (widescrren, HDTV "ready") in the sitting room
20" Sony in the bedroom (basically for emergencies like approaching hurricanes--I gave my mother the DVD player atttached to it becasue it was used maybe twice a year)
15" Sharp LCD (half-price demo from the local Tweeter) that mainly serves as the monitor for DH's Linux box in the office--don't watch it as a TV much except on hot summer days (the office is cooler than the sitting room)

We watch a fair amount of history, science, and nature programs and a little bit of news and entertainment and videos. No sports fans in our house, but I watch the Oympics.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

25" in our small living room.
We just threatened to cancel our $45/mo cable and they offered us the hidden basic option for only $10/mo. So we still get network football and the only show I must watch: Arrested Development, which, A)was too good for FOX, 2)just got cancelled and will move to Showtime, so @#*!it)I will have to rent the DVD's instead.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I have an embarassment of riches in the TV department -
Oh, and the only real reason for having a TV is to watch 24 Go Jack Baur!

19" LCD in 'puter room
13 " LCD in 'puter room - this is the only one in the house that is connected to antenna, for when the cable goes out.
15" in guest bedroom
24" in exercise room (along with surround sound system including front and back bass
37" in master bedroom
54" in TV room (with surroud sound, bose, and TIVO, DVD, VHS, )
37" in TV room for guests and DW when they cannot figure out my remotes to turn everything on, and I am out of town
40" in Kitchen
15" by outdoor Spa (with VHS and DVD)
12" by outdoor grill
32" in main living room of RV
17" in bedroom of RV
9" in mini-van for those back seat riders
4" battery powered portable for taking to the sporting arena to watch the replays
tuner card connected to 20" monitor on 'puter server
got rid of the excess TVs and parts about a year ago

- still only 1 hour of TV worth watching, but DW watches a lot, and when the various social clubs, neighbors, and family drop in, they all seem to want to watch sporting events, and special programs.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Six for us:

3 in house

3 in motorhome

Dave
Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Three - two of which I try to keep turned off.

Pre-Katrina in the fish camp - had 8 - three of which stayed on all the time. Two were sort of spares? - battery jobs for power failures.

Started second cup of coffee. Yes I turn mine on once in a while.

Heh heh heh
Old 01-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We have a 52" wide screen HDTV in the rec room, a 32" lcd in my husband's office, a 27" in the bedroom, and a 13" in the kitchen.

The kitchen & bedroom TV's are wired together and share a TiVo. The rec room has an HDTV dvr and the office also has a TiVo.

There's also an old console in the spare room that isn't hooked up. I believe it works. (It had better, or what the heck else are we keeping it for?)
Old 01-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am embarrassed to say 15. Just built a smart home with two tvs even inside mirors that show through when turned on. Turn to channel 80 on any TV and shows multiple vidio cameras around and inside house that also goes to internet.

Again embarrassed

Sailaway