Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lets' see, if I count the paper routes starting at age 11, working at a restaurant washing dishes and a paper routes from age 12 thru 15, working as a bag boy and in the produce department at Jewel Foods from age 16 thru 17, driving a cab during the summers/holidays from age 18 thru 19, CTA conducter on L trains during the summers from age 20 thru 21 and driving a CTA bus when I was 22, then it has been 44 years of work.

Golfnut
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am still working even after 46 years of work - bummer.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

here are the results

it's good to hear that no one in this forum have to work up to 53 years til retirement. Correct if I miss anyone but according to all the post the estimate here is what we got

shortest 13 years
longest 46 years
median 32 years

with that said and if life is beautiful. I am shooting for 28 years.

enuff

PS. Wheeze, this forum is bad for the working morale.
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Only counting post-college employment, DH will retire after 31 years at age 55 (in 2012). All of the years were at the same company, so he will be receiving a pension. We could do it on his 401k/other savings alone, but our lifestyle (basically the retirement home that we purchased) would have been A LOT different.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #85

About 20 years in my case. Retiring in 2012, age 47.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #86

I will go at age 56 in 2014 with around 33 years. I am a member of the Fed Golden Handcuffs Plan. I am financially and mentally ready, now...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #87
Confused about dryer sheets

I'll be at 29 years of teaching when I retire next year. I began when I was 22. Of course, I had some odd jobs during high school and college.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

I'm new here and living in the UK. You all seem to be living in the US. I guess the principle is the same on both sides of the pond. I started full time work at age 17, did lots of part time jobs in my teens. I will be 50 years old in 8 months time. I have a company pension that I could use from age 50 but it would be reduced because I would be taking it so early. I have invested in various bonds and things and could live the same quality of life as I do now if I left full time employment at 50. I'll probably leave at 52. I have no kids but I am married and my wife does not earn very much, I own my property. I cannot wait to retire or at least give up the full time daily grind in London. I have people around me who cannot believe that I would leave work at 52 they tell me that I should stick at it until 60. I would feel slightly embarrassed at retiring early but I shouldn't as I will have worked hard for 35 years. I just worry about declining health in the future which is why I want to get out at 52 and enjoy myself for my remaining years. As everyone says 'you only live once' I feel that I have done my time at the coal face and deserve some 'me' time before it is too late.

Thanks

Peter.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #89
Administrator

Welcome, Evergreen. There are indeed a fair number of Brits on the board, but, as you note, our experiences are similar. It seems you are well on your way to retired bliss. Congratulations.

If you would like, you could post your introduction under the "Hi I am" subforum and more people will see that you have joined us.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess I hold the record. I started working part time, odd jobs at 11. Had my first paycheck with deductions at 14, started working full time at 17. Even in college had to work more then 40 hours a week. I retired after 30 years at one megacorp and doing so 3-31-2012 from another after 14 years. Counting from my first part time work, have been working for 55 years. But I never had any interest in not working. Even now I have some doubts about stopping. I have always loved work. Got to travel all over the world, meet people from all cultures speaking different languages and accomplishing amazing things. It's never been about financials. I could have afforded to retire at 52 when I left my first megacorp. I just enjoy working more then playing. And I play hard when I do. I ski, ride motorcycles, golf, travel, and do all sorts of fun stuff. I joined this forum to help me make the transition as I decided a year ago I really needed to stop working. So we will see how it all plays out starting April fools day.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #91

I'm not retired yet, hope to hang it up in about 3-5 years.

Since college, I've reached FI or very close to it in 22 years (but this includes being a part time landlord). I had various part time jobs in high school and college.

So, I'm thinking 25 - 27 years total, then maybe back to part time fun work in the future.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #92

Not counting the paper routes, lawn jobs, summer jobs....8 years at company #1, 20 years at company #2. Fortunately both companies had pensions and 401k's with matches that I took full advantage.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #93
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Guess I hold the record.
Pssst - the idea is to retire with the least amount of work - not the most ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

My aim is to get out of the full time rat race, I'll probably do some sort of on/off part time work when I leave. I've actually got used to some sort of work in my life. The money that I earn from this will fund travelling etc.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I began work at company "X" on August 31, 1979. I fired on August 31, 2009. Exactly 30 years. I thought it had a nice symmetry.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

PS. I really wanted to qualify for the 30 year award. A Garmin GPS!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

31 years, but during about a dozen of those years I was working full time and going to university. And then for a couple of years I worked two jobs.* So, it felt like more....

I am SO happy to be retired! Life is good, and it was all worth it.

*An antiquated practice known as "moonlighting" back in the Dark Ages, that isn't practiced any more in the civilized world, as far as I can tell.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

31 years.Also seemed longer to me because of all the OT I worked.From 10 to 17years old I had a paper route.This may sound crazy but seriously,it was may favorite job.Or maybe I"m just daydreaming of my youthful days.Anyway it was what it was,and yep, it was worth it.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi View Post
....From 10 to 17years old I had a paper route.This may sound crazy but seriously,it was may favorite job....
+1 I feel the same about my clerk/stocking job during the 3rd shift in high school and college. Boy do I miss those days.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi View Post
From 10 to 17years old I had a paper route.This may sound crazy but seriously,it was may favorite job.Or maybe I"m just daydreaming of my youthful days.Anyway it was what it was,and yep, it was worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
+1 I feel the same about my clerk/stocking job during the 3rd shift in high school and college. Boy do I miss those days.
I wonder if many of us remember our early jobs with pleasure. I had a lot of fun as a rent-a-car girl at the International Market Place in Waikiki. I worked at an outside stand where I could see and talk to all the passersby, and enjoy the lovely weather and breezes. I got to wear a muu-muu and sandals to work, and my boss brought me a pretty lei every day to wear. I was encouraged to tan, wear flowers in my hair, and especially to flirt with the guys and try to get them to rent a car. At barely 18, with raging hormones I didn't need much encouragement to flirt! And when things were slow, I could read or study and nobody minded.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote