Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

22 Years, 2 months...but who counted?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

I posted on this thread over 2.5 years ago, I can now afford to retire. I won't be rich but I should be able to maintain my current lifestyle with company pension and investments. I should be over the moon but to be honest I don't know how to retire. It is almost as if I am embarrassed to retire now! I really want to get out now but society tells me I'm too young at 52.

Did any of you feel the same?

Help!!
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
I posted on this thread over 2.5 years ago, I can now afford to retire. I won't be rich but I should be able to maintain my current lifestyle with company pension and investments. I should be over the moon but to be honest I don't know how to retire. It is almost as if I am embarrassed to retire now! I really want to get out now but society tells me I'm too young at 52.

Help!!
I retired the first time at 52 and no it didn't bother me at all. Later I stumbled into a second job but it was optional every step of the way and when that went south I quit without a second thought.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that you are right Walt, it shouldn't bother me really. Maybe I should get out in the spring when the weather is better!
How many years do you work before retire???
Old 11-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

How many years do you work before retire???

I was just short of 40 working years when I retired at 58. The first 2 years I worked part time while going to junior college. And the last 10 years I gradually angered down from 60 hours to 8 hours a week. It didn't bother me at all to retire at 58 - that's almost normal retirement age. Nor did the angering down stage bother me - I worked enough years of 50-60 hours a week to justify it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #126
gone traveling

I retired initially at 54, but returned to work as I was not prepared for the non-financial aspects of retirement. I finally retired at 63 and am enjoying it.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It is almost as if I am embarrassed to retire now! I really want to get out now but society tells me I'm too young at 52.

Society told me a lot of things growing up. All of them wrong or shamelessly agenda driven. I had no problem disengaging. They got their lives, I got mine.

Worked 26 yrs if you count all the way to lawn mowing, tree chopping, and all that jazz. 21 if you only count "real" jobs
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #128

Quote:

Help!!
Your location is the UK ? what is "Normal" retirement age there ?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #129

Not counting babysitting, shoveling snow, raking leaves or paper route as a kid, my first real job with a real paycheck was at 14. I worked at the public library after school and on Saturdays shelving books. Made .60/hr. Retired from my state employee job one month shy of my 57th birthday - on the first day I was eligible for full pension. Decided to do consulting and had my first customer within 30 days of "retirement". Four years later, still doing consulting, so I don't know if I count as retired or not. I feel retired. Only work 1/4 of the hours I used to work for the same amount of money - and I love what I am doing now. Working from home is great - and a little travel a couple of times a year when a client wants me on-site. This is my dream job. So far, 47 years working. I'd like to continue my consulting work for about 5 more years - but there is no telling when/if the work will dry up.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #130

I retired at 51. Never heard of this "Society" guy but whoever he/she is I never heard a thing from them. If I had I would have ignored them.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Lakewood, normal retirement age in UK is 65 for the majority, had a work colleague who got out at 60. My Dad retired at 68 after 52 years of full time work.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #132

2.5 years as a FT stock boy.
28 years at Megacorp.
30.5 years total, out at 49 yo.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not counting college ballpark 27 yrs direct(two layoffs) and 1 1/2 out of 3 as a contract engineer.

Then I became deathly allergic to work and a 'born again' ER.

Or something silly like that.

heh heh heh - 21 years in ER and counting.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #134

I am still working, but plan on retiring at 56. I started a hourly job at 16, but worked in my aunts store at 14. It was a ice cream stand on the beach with all the benefits of being 14.

I will have 56 - 16 = 40 years of working. If you count that many of those years I have worked two jobs, maybe it is closer to 60...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I did 40.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #136
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

17 years 6 months full time. 22 if you count time working during college.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #137

Quote:

Help!!

Nope

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired August this year at 56 with 38 years at megacorps. Originally planned to go 40, but got burned out. It seemed that everything I read the past year advocated working until 65 or 70. Seems crazy to me and had me second guessing my decision. However, no regrets so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #139

Quote:

Help!!
Despite impressions you might get from this forum, I think your feelings are pretty common. I have relatives and friends who retired from union Big 3 auto j#bs after 30+yrs., some who were younger than you at retirement. Most felt they hit their target '30 and out' and were happy staying 'out'. Others eventually (months-to-years) took other employment or started their own businesses. Very individual decisions.
Personally- Since you are self-sufficient (pension/investments), I think 'society' has NOTHING to say about it. It is a perk of financial independence. In a way, you're just been saving up for a long (LONG) well-deserved vacation
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #140

I got a late start due to grad school (didn't finish until 29) and doing a coop program for undergrad which let me graduate without any debt but cost an extra year. However, I managed to retire in 12 1/2 years after that which includes 9 months on LOA.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote