Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many years of living expenses do you keep in cash and near-cash?
1 year's worth or less 31 33.33%
2 years 16 17.20%
3-5 years 25 26.88%
6-8 years 8 8.60%
9-11 years 4 4.30%
12-14 years 3 3.23%
15+ 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How many years of expenses in cash
Old 07-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
On market days like this one (down >100 pts. so far) I do think about having a lot more in cash.
Look at it in a more positive light, Doc. On days like today you do have more in cash...at least as a percentage of your portfolio.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Look at it in a more positive light, Doc.* On days like today you do have more in cash...at least as a percentage of your portfolio.

Geee, I feel better already. :P
Old 07-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm only in my 20's and have never had more than one years worth in cash. My bank says i'm insured for up to 100k. For those of you with much more than 100k, where do you keep it so it's insured?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I think calling the hoped for total return of an equity portfolio an opportunity cost is not quite kosher.
it's kosher, but one should realize that a propsective opportunity cost could be either positive or negative.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #25

Quote:
where do you keep it so it's insured?
*there are various ways of increasing the total amount insured (different titles, different banks, credit unions etc) but why must it be insured? treasuries are virtually "insured" and money market accounts are damn close to it ...
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879
I'm only in my 20's and have never had more than one years worth in cash. My bank says i'm insured for up to 100k. For those of you with much more than 100k, where do you keep it so it's insured?
If keeping it insured is important to you, your choices include savings accounts spread over several banks, CDs spread over several banks, and in effect, short-term treasuries.

I suspect many just keep it in a MMF; the risk of loss in value is not zero but pretty close. I am not aware of any MMF that failed in modern history, though there may have been a last-minute bail-out here and there by the owning company.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879
You could get married. With jointly owned accounts, each owner is insured up to $100K. You can then also open separate individual accounts in yours and your wife's name and get another $100K insured each, for a possible total of $400K insured.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #28

Quote:
You could get married.
now that could create some new and uninsurable risks!