Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #21

I've got a low tax rate for CA because I bought from family and was able to capture the prop 13 tax rate. I then blew that by building a granny flat which added tax at the current rate at time we obtained occupancy. We pay double our primary home rate for the 700 sf granny flat. (All on same lot - so same tax bill.)

2.1% of current gross income from all sources (including rent from granny flat)
3.2% of expected gross retirement budget.

I feel very lucky to have been able to transfer the rate from my parents when we purchased. It was a HUGE factor in being able to afford this house in such an expensive market. My dad would have fit right in here - frugal, lbym's type of guy - and yes - he made us pay full market value for the house. But we got the tax rate.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired.
IL: 13% of budget
NV: 4% of budget
I don't know why it is higher than most posters.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2.1% on a very small house, approx 900 sq.ft.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I got the hell out of NJ for CO, I bought a house for about the same money, got 50% more square footage and land, and my annual RE tax bill is less than I paid to the theiving bastards in NJ in a quarter.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #25

When working it was 1.5% of income
FIRED it's 6.5% of budget
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #26

WI property taxes amount to about 2% of the home value... yippee.

2.9% of current income
7.5% of estimated retirement pre-tax budget (not retired)
Will be downsizing, so will likely be around 3.8% of retirement budget
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #27

14.1% of my annual spending (~$40k) in TX. That's for only 1000 square feet, too.

I'm not RE yet (I'm bouncing on the FI line) so it's of course less than my annual income.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My property tax is 1.3% of what FIRECalc says I can spend.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
Hi:

I live in New Jersey, a state with high property taxes.

Based on my current income (I am not yet FIRE) my property tax is 5.9 percent of my annual pre-tax income.

Based on my predicted FIRE annual budget, my property tax will be approximately 15.3 percent of the FIRE annual budget. My FIRE annual budget is less than my current annual income. This percent seems very high and I question whether I can FIRE for the long term in New Jersey based in part on the high property taxes.

There are a number of reasons why I would like to stay here. My friends and family are here. I like being close to NYC. I like the Jersey Shore. I like having four seasons, etc. My professional license is in this state.

That leads me to some questions. First, I would like to know what percent of your annual income/FIRE annual budget is comprised of property tax.

Aside from relocating, can you think of ways that I could reduce the percent of my FIRE budget that property taxes will represent. I live in a fairly modest home and the property tax is on the lower side of average for New Jersey.

I appealed my property tax assessment and negotiated a settlement with county. But the new assessed value does not reduce the property tax amount significantly.

If I rented, I would not be directly responsible for property taxes, but the cost would be built into the rent payment. And since I got a mortgage at a very low rate of interest, my mortgage payment and property tax payment for the house is about the same amount as monthly rent on a much smaller apartment.

I appreciate your insight.

I feel your pain. I'm in Philadelphia and properties are being reassessed. We don't know what the new figures will be yet, but real estate taxes could be as much as 35% of a retirement budget. We won't be staying in this house, but we also don't want to leave the area as we can be in Midtown Manhattan or the Jersey Shore in under ninety minutes. The PA suburbs have high taxes, and the NJ suburbs taxes are the highest in the nation.

Have you or any senior citizens groups in your area spoken with your elected representatives about this problem?
james7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #30

In LA, CA.

1.5% of current income.
4.5% of planned retirement budget.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #31

South of Boston

3% of current income
6.75% of retirement budget
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #32

Living in tax-loving Wisconsin - 11.8% of RE expense. Looking at other states in RE...
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Retired.
IL: 13% of budget
NV: 4% of budget
I don't know why it is higher than most posters.
Because they are not in IL.

My Dad was paying 10% of his income in RE taxes. He only owned a condo, and he has a decent pension on top of SS. This is northern suburbs of Chicago.

We finally sold the place and he is recovering a lot of expenses to pay for his independent living apartment.

For the record, here in NC I expect to pay about 2% of my expected income in retirement.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

No way would I stay in IL. You will be bailing out everyone else and every other program with your property taxes for years.

We pay about 2% of our income as RE tax in WA and will pay 0% real estate tax in retirement when staying on BLM land in our RV.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #35

Our condo is valued at $332k and property taxes are $250/yr or .45% of our annual budget.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james7 View Post
Have you or any senior citizens groups in your area spoken with your elected representatives about this problem?
Haaaahahahahahaha!!!

Who do you think is living it up with your RE tax money?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #37

Currently 4.08% of ER spending budget. State of WA. Curious to see if that number changes over time.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
Administrator

We have two places, total about 7.5% of our yearly budget. We used to have one home, in NY, where we lived before retiring. Similar property value to what we have now, but the '11 property tax was / is 16% of our budget.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
No way would I stay in IL. You will be bailing out everyone else and every other program with your property taxes for years.

We pay about 2% of our income as RE tax in WA and will pay 0% real estate tax in retirement when staying on BLM land in our RV.
What is BLM land?
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Our condo is valued at $332k and property taxes are $250/yr or .45% of our annual budget.
Where do you live?
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote