Join Early Retirement Today

How much can I contribute to my IRA and 401k?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How much can I contribute to my IRA and 401k?

I run two small businesses and for this year I have so much in depreciation that my income is small. I might end up showing a much bigger profit than this but it's my best guess at this point.

My income should look something like this.

Business #1 $1,500 taxable income

Business #2 $2,000 taxable income

and maybe $500 in interest for a taxable income total of around $4000

If my final numbers are the same as above I can contribute a maximum of...

$4000 to a roth IRA

$1,500 to a solo roth 401k for my first business

$2,500 to a solo roth 401k for my second business

Does this sound correct or am I messing it up?

Thanks

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Suggest you ask your question at fairmark.com
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I question whether you can contribute to the RothIRA if you use all the self employment income (after self employment taxes) to contribute to the 401ks. See: Compensation Income

"Net Earnings from Self-Employment

When figuring how much compensation income you have to support your IRA contribution, it's your net earnings from self-employment that count. Subtract your expenses and other deductions connected with the activity that produced the income. Also, reduce your self-employment income by the amount you contribute to a retirement plan connected with your self-employment (such as a Keogh plan), and by the deduction for one-half of the self-employment tax."

This is from the Fairmark site, not from the IRS, so I would double check the accuracy.

From IRS publication 590: "Self-employment income. If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor) reduced by the total of:
  • The deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans, and
  • The deduction allowed for one-half of your self-employment taxes.
Compensation includes earnings from self-employment even if they are not subject to self-employment tax because of your religious beliefs. When you have both self-employment income and salaries and wages, your compensation includes both amounts."

Publication 590 (2006), Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Here is a nice worksheet for figuring out your maximum 401k contribution for the businesses. http://personal.fidelity.com/retirem...1K-CW-0902.pdf

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You can only contribute up to the amount of your *earned* income to an IRA or other retirement plan, so your maximum would be $3,500 in all plans.
trirod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks kanohe Martha and trirod

I see what trirod is saying and that was my big mistake! I guess you can only be contributing to both if you have enough income to do so.

So I guess my only option is to just put as much as I earn into a roth IRA and wait until next year until I have more income so I can start the 401k's.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems to me that in your case there are other reasons for sticking with the Roth IRA. Will you be able to find a custodian to set up Roth 401k's for such small amounts? And what will their fees be?

Tags
401k, ira