Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much did you spend in 2006?
Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay, I did it, (above) and you can quote the above post to see the dirty work, but taking from Excel and then 'strip/convert' to BBcode was a lot more trouble than it's worth. I know there must be a better way, but I don't have it tonight!

I promise, no more messing with tables on this thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #42

For the two of us, $78,500. That excludes payroll taxes and savings, and includes everything else.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
I sometimes wonder - should mortgage principle be considered 'spent' money? It seems like more of a 'transfer' of money from one account (cash) to another account (Home equity).

Of course, it does need to be considered from a 'cash flow' POV - it moves from liquid to less-liquid, but, IMO, it is not really 'spent'.

Same thought on home improvements. If I spend $10K on a remodel, do some of the work myself, and I can reasonably expect it to add $10K to the value of the house - did I 'spend' the money, or just 'transfer' it from cash to Home Equity?
Both the credit union and my spouse tell me that the money is "spent". Or at least they made interesting predictions of what would happen if I stopped transferring money from my checking account...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

deleted
Old 01-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WOW.... a lot of big spending by some who talk about LBYM... your means are WAY more than most... I could live way below my means with what you guys SPEND...

BTW, I have no idea how much I spend..... I don't keep track... I just think, do I need it Do I want it even if I don't need it If I answer yes to both I get it...

And I have saved some money every month even with my Egypt vacation...
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
WOW.... a lot of big spending by some who talk about LBYM... your means are WAY more than most... I could live way below my means with what you guys SPEND...

BTW, I have no idea how much I spend..... I don't keep track... I just think, do I need it Do I want it even if I don't need it If I answer yes to both I get it...

And I have saved some money every month even with my Egypt vacation...
how can you make judgements about LBYM when you don't know the M?

If I make $200 and spend $90k am I worse off than somebody who makes $70 and spends 40?

Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Not including income tax, I spent $25800.
About the same as the year before.
There are only two of us and we have no kids so we can live pretty cheap.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

too much! got to get a handle on the spending if ER is in the future! My name is Tracy and I am (apparently) a shopaholic. About 183,000--90,000 of which was taxes. UGH.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #49

It appears that some of the people answering this question are retired, others are semi retired and still others are still working. So this is an apples to oranges comparison. I don't know the real purpose although it is interesting. For my part I'm retired and did so at age 52. No spouse still working, no part time job, just full time retirement. Worth every penny.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude
.... So this is an apples to oranges comparison. I don't know the real purpose although it is interesting.
I didn't think the purpose was to make comparisons. I thought there could only be 2 reasons:
A. A subtle suggestion to everyone to track their spending, so they could spend more or spend less if they wanted to.
-or-
B. A chance to ask nords about his charitable contributions.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I didn't think the purpose was to make comparisons. I thought there could only be 2 reasons:
A. A subtle suggestion to everyone to track their spending, so they could spend more or spend less if they wanted to.
-or-
You forgot about...

C. A chance to brag about reveal how cheap judicious you are squeezing every hard-earned nickel managing your spending.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
You forgot about...

C. A chance to brag about reveal how cheap judicious you are squeezing every hard-earned nickel managing your spending.

How many other places can you brag about NOT spending?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #53

Quote from: LOL! on Today at 10:36:02 PM
-or-

You forgot about...

OK. Now I get it.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #54

I'm not sure what anyone else's motivations are for sharing such personal information, but I think those observing (and that most certainly includes me) find it all of some probative value. For instance, I took the opportunity to compare my percentages by category against a pretty well-accepted success story, Billy and Akaisha. I noted right away that the percentages were not too far out of whack from what I would have expected, but that notably different was one category -- my med expenses are nil. As a young, single, healthy (knock on wood) non-retiree (yet) that certainly makes sense, but I need to factor that additional percentage into my forward looking budget and make sure I still cover all the other bases, too if I want to FI/RE and stay that way. I would imagine I could do a lot worse than to use the percentage they have as a planning number.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #55

This was a good thread because it motivated me to do the calculation. My bank let me download a "spending report" into excel. I had to do a lot of data massage to eliminate transfers and duplicates, but a couple of hours later I have the data. I basically just added up all the money that left my checking account and didn't go into any other accounts.

During this year I was working for the first two months, and then living FIRE'd for the last 10 months. I'm single but have a roomate living in a room in my condo. In calculating the housing expenditure I deducted the rent he pays me to arrive at the reported figure.

Cash $8,022.00
Checks $6,205.72
Credit cards $18,830.04
Paypal $441.96
Housing $15,294.92
Gas and Electric $945.21
Car Insurance $936.00
Telephone $245.41

Total: $50,921.26 (does not include taxes paid)
Old 01-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #56

About $50K (taxes not included).
Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
We still don't have a clue, but let's see what's in our Quicken records.

We handed out our usual $100 to an outstanding teacher, but now that our kid's in high school we have to watch out that she doesn't get the "honored" teacher again before she graduates. That's not a charitable contribution anyway, it just makes us feel good.

We donated $20 to the National Military Families Association when we joined Pentagon FCU, of course. We also gave another $40 when we attended events at the USS MISSOURI Memorial and the USS BOWFIN Memorial. Over the last year we also bought a dozen or so boxes of fundraiser cookies & Zippy's chili. Last week was the annual massive Goodwill run, which TurboTax will probably value around $250.

I've looked at Charity Navigator & Guidestar, both of which seem to be useful at screening charities by their fundraising and their spending. The highest-rated local groups appear to be the Institute for Human Services (homeless shelters, kitchens, counseling) and the Hawaii Foodbank. Our kid has spent some volunteer time at IHS and they seem to do a good job. I've had my attention directed toward the local Ronald McDonald houses, a couple other family shelters, and Habitat for Humanity but I haven't checked their finances yet. It's hard to feel good about helping a charity that's paying their president or CEO a $150K salary.

We just haven't found something that we really want to support. One of the reasons we give $100 to a teacher is so that they can circumvent the bureaucracy to do the right thing for them and their students that otherwise would be drowned in the paperwork. (Not that we ever had that problem as military instructors!) 100% of the money goes to its intended purpose and there's no overhead. We'd feel the same about anonymously picking up the textbook costs for a college student we know, or dropping off a load of canned goods at the food bank. I guess even for charity we keep trying to get the most value for our bucks.

But so far our efforts have been random attempts to find something that feels right. I'd rather drop $1000 on one charity that's going to do a great job than to scatter $100 to 10 charities, and until we find that one we're not spending much money.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
How many other places can you brag about NOT spending?

he he he
Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

This thread really has motivated me, now that both Greg and I are retired. It caught me early enough in the year so we can track spending from the get go. So far, $7.58 at Mr. Movies.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

A little over $83k. Have been retired approx 7 years. Have detail on Quicken, but big hitters were:
$7k vacation and travel
$10k gifts to children
$13k medical

over $8k of medical was to retiree medical insurance with former employer. not subsidized as much as when working, but worth every penny.