Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

$19,622.46 Not including taxes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
All this record keeping sounds too much like w*ork. As long as my WAG is at about a 2.5% WR I can't be bothered.

I can't be bothered either. Whenever I have a reason to take a look, I do it the old fashioned way. Look up past year's prop taxes in my checkbook. My credit cards give me year end reports, my utility companies keep it online.

I've been instinctively living a certain way so long that I know what I spend as much as I need to know.

But I also don't do spreadsheets. I do Unclemick's back of the envelope.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our total is about $54,000.

Al - did you really only spend $150 on clothing? If so, does your wife have any sisters?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #64
Administrator

It would take a while to itemize as completely as others have (though you are inspiring me!! I should keep all of my itemized expenses in my Excel spreadsheet too).

But, it's pretty easy to figure out what I had in the bank one year ago, what take-home pay and other after-tax income I have had since then, and what I put into my Roth, and what have left in the bank and taxable accounts now. From that, I figure my expenses for 2007, not including my Roth, to be $13,013.

My monthly goal for expenses other than property taxes/insurance, car insurance, and unexpected or unusual expenses is $800, or $9600/year. My property taxes and property insurance totalled $2118, my car insurance was $434 (minimum liability, got to change that soon), and my only unusual or unexpected expenses in 2007 was a laptop for about $550, so my expenses other than these were $9,911, exceeding my goal by $311 (oops!). I know where it went, though. I spent $981 on this table, which I purchased in December and happen to just absolutely love.

Had I not bought it, my expenditures would have been $670 (or, $55/month) below goal.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Al - did you really only spend $150 on clothing? If so, does your wife have any sisters?
Wow, did we really spend that much?

Seriously, that's true. Right now I'm wearing an Old Navy Polartec fleece sweatshirt that we bought at a garage sale, never worn, with the tag on, for 50 cents. That kind of deal is not unusual. I have a ten-year supply of T-shirts in a closet.

Wife is similarly frugal WRT clothes. A few times she's bought an ugly sweater that's made with good wool, unraveled it, and knit a new sweater.

Being retired, I can wear the more worn clothes around the house, saving the nicer stuff for going out.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...I figure my expenses for 2007, not including my Roth, to be $13,013.

My monthly goal for expenses other than property taxes/insurance, car insurance, and unexpected or unusual expenses is $800, or $9600/year. My property taxes and property insurance totalled $2118, my car insurance was $434 (minimum liability, got to change that soon), and my only unusual or unexpected expenses in 2007 was a laptop for about $550, so my expenses other than these were $9,911, exceeding my goal by $311...
So you had $0 in medical expenses, including any payroll deductions for insurance premiums?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So you had $0 in medical expenses, including any payroll deductions for insurance premiums?
If you re-read my post, I only counted take-home pay. You retired types probably have forgotten that medical insurance, taxes, and social security/Medicare contributions are taken out before one gets one's take-home pay. Medical insurance is $125/mo and is taken out before taxes, so it decreases my take-home pay by about $82/month.

My medical expenses were included in the $800/month figure. I spent $22/month for Vytorin with my drug card, and two $15 co-pays for my doctor visits. So, that would come to about $25/month that was already included in the $800 goal (or $745 actual) expenditures.

I also had to pay something for one x-ray of my poor bruised tailbone (due to New Orleans' potholes probably). My share after insurance wasn't a whole lot - - maybe $150? I'd have to check. It and the bloodwork for my Vytorin also were counted in my $745 actual expenses. Now, if I had been run over by a car or had had an appendectomy or something, I would regard it as an unusual expenditure but these are small enough that I do not.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

OK, I see now.

Maybe I'm I little too sensitive to the fact our medical insurance premiums ($5,000 deductible) were over 60% of the amount you report as your total expenses for 07.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #69
Dryer sheet wannabe

Around 110,000.

As long as it is under allocation, to lazy to count. Gifts to children, grandchildren, etc., plus travel vary so much that needs/wants cannot be expected/anticipated yearly. Actually "living" costs (home, ins., utilities, food, etc. cars -) around 60K.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, I see now.

Maybe I'm I little too sensitive to the fact our medical insurance premiums ($5,000 deductible) were over 60% of the amount you report as your total expenses for 07.
Thank you for helping to provide me with the motivation to work until I qualify for lifetime medical, 675 days from now. I could retire sooner or maybe even immediately if it weren't for that.

With lifetime medical I will have to pay the $125/mo (or whatever it has inflated to by then) after taxes instead of before, but it still sounds like it is worth another 675 days of my life (I guess). Tomorrow it will just be 674...

Now, if/when we end up with universal health coverage for everyone in the U.S., you will have the last laugh. I really, REALLY don't want to be spending hours of my precious life at work today, even sneaking onto the ER forum.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

W2R, I really love that statue on your new table. What is it made of?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
W2R, I really love that statue on your new table. What is it made of?
Oh, it's a cheap reproduction and I am having a mental block about what it is made of (nothing fancy). Maybe I'll remember it in a minute. After it was molded, it was apparently painted to look like old stone. It's kind of dinged up, but to me, that adds to the effect. It only cost me $25 or so the year before last at Heirloom Antiques here in New Orleans (where I got the table and the little gilded tray too).

One of the great advantages to growing older is that I am less discriminating about my artwork. My eyesight is bad enough that as far as I'm concerned it's worth a million! I really love it, too. I like to scout around for cheap art like that. It's my favorite pastime. I spend all my shopping time combing through antique stores for stuff like this, and usually don't buy much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #73

Is that for one or two people? You are getting close to our number of 11,100

Quote:
It would take a while to itemize as completely as others have (though you are inspiring me!! I should keep all of my itemized expenses in my Excel spreadsheet too).

But, it's pretty easy to figure out what I had in the bank one year ago, what take-home pay and other after-tax income I have had since then, and what I put into my Roth, and what have left in the bank and taxable accounts now. From that, I figure my expenses for 2007, not including my Roth, to be $13,013.

My monthly goal for expenses other than property taxes/insurance, car insurance, and unexpected or unusual expenses is $800, or $9600/year. My property taxes and property insurance totalled $2118, my car insurance was $434 (minimum liability, got to change that soon), and my only unusual or unexpected expenses in 2007 was a laptop for about $550, so my expenses other than these were $9,911, exceeding my goal by $311 (oops!). I know where it went, though. I spent $981 on this table, which I purchased in December and happen to just absolutely love.

Had I not bought it, my expenditures would have been $670 (or, $55/month) below goal.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Food 2400
Not bad for two people
Praytell, how does an individual survive on a $100/month food budget? That's only about a dollar a meal. How do you get all the necessary nutrition for such a low cost? My wife and I spend about triple that, and we rarely eat out at restaurants. And we make extensive use of leftovers.

EDIT: To keep this on topic, our expenses last year were around $92,000. My wife and I, no kids, age 32. But $50,000 of that was mortgage and investments.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Is that for one or two people? You are getting close to our number of 11,100
Oh no, I am not living on anywhere near as low a figure as you so I am out of any competition for "most frugal" here on the forum. There is just one of me, and I am dating so Frank takes me out to eat on the weekends a lot. I am still spending over $300/month on food just for me. I think your low food budget is amazing!

By the way, I notice that was your 3rd post. Welcome to the ER forum!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #76

If you don't include taxes or contributions to savings and retirement accounts, it looks like we spent about $61,000 as best as I can tell from my online spending records. We saved $26,421 into retirement accounts, including company 401K match, and about $7,000 into taxable savings/investments.

About another $23,000 went to taxes of all types.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R a question. Does your govt ins @125/mo change to Medicare supplemental at 65 like Tricare? With Medicare being prime and your ins as the supplemental. I realize that you have 600 or so days to go but in light of your Mom's death and subsequent inheritance, could leave today and cover the medical cost with some of that money? Have you thought about it?

The reason I ask is I could have stayed until my Govt ins Tricare kicked in at 60 and then retired. That was my plan at least until I found this forum. I elected to take a high deductable medical policy and am paying 6K/yr for the two of us for the policy to get us from 57 to 60.

I consider it money well spent as I'm now retired. I do not miss w**k at all.

After all every day at w**k is a day you're not retired.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #78

Thanks I could not do the low food buget if it was not for Aldi and Save a Lot. For breakfest we eat the large oatmeal for $1.39 at Aldi and that does dreakfest for two people for about a month. We drink tea which is cheap $1.49 for a box of a hundred bags. But the other two meal are alot more.

Quote:
Oh no, I am not living on anywhere near as low a figure as you so I am out of any competition for "most frugal" here on the forum. There is just one of me, and I am dating so Frank takes me out to eat on the weekends a lot. I am still spending over $300/month on food just for me. I think your low food budget is amazing!

By the way, I notice that was your 3rd post. Welcome to the ER forum!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #79
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
W2R a question. Does your govt ins @125/mo change to Medicare supplemental at 65 like Tricare? With Medicare being prime and your ins as the supplemental.
Medicare Part A will be prime, and BCBS (my FEHB provider) will be secondary. Like most federal employees, I don't see a compelling reason to pay for Medicare (as in parts B and D).

Quote:
I realize that you have 600 or so days to go but in light of your Mom's death and subsequent inheritance, could leave today and cover the medical cost with some of that money? Have you thought about it?
Yes, I thought about it. However, with all the uncertainty regarding health care it just doesn't seem prudent to me.

Quote:
The reason I ask is I could have stayed until my Govt ins Tricare kicked in at 60 and then retired. That was my plan at least until I found this forum. I elected to take a high deductable medical policy and am paying 6K/yr for the two of us for the policy to get us from 57 to 60.
That is certainly tempting! Without the inheritance, I am on schedule to retire in 675 days though I might wait until 939 days to be sure. The inheritance will sure make things easier when it kicks in (assuming that it does, eventually). By that time I will probably have less than 600 days to go. But who knows? Maybe I will change my mind. I have a very cautious temperament, though. Right now, it seems kind of scary to quit and wait for Medicare - - everyone says Medicare is in more danger of running out of money than SS, so I am thinking about that as well.

Quote:
I consider it money well spent as I'm now retired. I do not miss w**k at all.
This morning I just got back after being off since Dec. 20th. I admit I am NOT happy to be back at w**k either!

Quote:
After all every day at w**k is a day you're not retired.
Believe me, you are SO right!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Now, if/when we end up with universal health coverage for everyone in the U.S., you will have the last laugh. I really, REALLY don't want to be spending hours of my precious life at work today, even sneaking onto the ER forum.
I think 2 years out of a lifetime is a good bet for assured health coverage, no matter what the pols may promise. By the time there is anything definite, you will have almost reached you goal.