Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
...the house is the last big debt expense...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Then you will be, in classic Dave Ramsey fashion, "DEBT FREEEEEEE!!!"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why not post one?
And make the answers dependent upon Audrey's formula.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
....All said, though, 2010 was an expensive year, starting with a major remodel, new roof, new chimney, new girlfriend... But these expenses were budgeted for a number of years, and came from savings, and hopefully most of them won't be repeated anytime soon. Well, except the GF......
Eh, just do what businesses do for extraordinary expenses--claim the expenses as a one-time charge against earnings. Repeat annually as needed for the new girlfriend (and congratulations!).
Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
As mentioned above, all of my spending falls within my 3.5% SWR.

The set-aside for the car may have seemed confusing but it is just simple arithmetic; most of us do not include our entire net worth when computing SWR. Money for the car was set aside years before retirement, and was never considered to be part of my ER nestegg in my retirement computations.
Same here.

Accounts not included in the SWR are a Roth IRA dedicated to LTC expenses and we pay into that every year, plus we have bank savings accounts that are used to save for major purchases such as cars. Some years expenditure will be well over a target budget, but exceeding the target SWR of 3.5% will be avoided if at all possible.

There are many ways to manage your money and this happens to be our way.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #105
Administrator

When I prepare our estimated retirement budget, I include monthly phantom payments to a sinking fund for predictable major expenditures (home painting, new car purchase, etc.)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #106
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Exactly how much do you budget for a new girlfriend ?
You can't put a price on love...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
It'd be great to have a tripwire when you whip out your smartphone or credit card-- "Amount remaining this month on 'entertainment' category: $7.43"

Otherwise it's being able to limit yourself to one meal out a week or one article of clothing shopping or some other reminder that's vaguely related to the size of the category.

I think their best advice is to carve off the savings/emergency-fund amounts before anything else even lands in the checking account.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am single, no kids, no mortgage or debt. I live with my SO which means some common expenses are shared, lowering my overall expenses. In 2010 I spent $15.5K, not including income taxes. I still do some pt w*rk, otherwise I'd be paying very little income tax.

I include a "bucket" in my budget every year for unexpected large expenses and/or accrual for major purchases. So I typically budget between $20-22K, but hope not to spend that much. Some year when one of those large expenses hit, I will hopefully remember all these years with leftover $ in my budget before I pass out.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think there is a lot of creative figuring going on . I only spent this amount but it doesn't include this or that . That is fudging the facts . You total up all your expenditures and the number you get is reality . Anything else is a fantasy !
While this thread is about expenses, they can't be looked at totally in a vacuum. If an expense such as income taxes rises because the income itself rises, then it is not very relevant to the overall expenses because the money to pay those increased income taxes will always be available to pay them from the increased income.

If the income source is not a recurring one (which for me was an large, unexpected short-term cap gains distribution from a bond mutual fund), and was not part of the budgeted income, then I am not concerned about the taxes somehow busting my budget. I do have to be more careful about planning how and when to pay the additional taxes via estimated tax payments and the annual April tax payment the following year (to avoid any tax penalties).

And W2R, it is interesting how close our expenses are to each other's.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I was only joking about our spending without a budget. A rough budget is important. However, for years we have been practicing LBYM with lots of money left over for savings. Even now, I still bring in enough part-time income to live on, but I do not anticipate that to continue until I die.

So, at some point, I must be sure that I really live within the boundary of my investments. I have been a bit cavalier about it, because I know that I can go into Uncle Mick's mode if faced with hard times (though I would rather not). So far, it appears that if (that if again) I do not count the one-time charges for toys, and time-limited expenses like my children college costs, I should be doing well with 3 to 4% SWR, even without SS which I expect to get some.

So, I have been concentrating more on the investment side than tracking expenses. Being invested in individual stocks requires me to pay attention, and so far I still enjoy it. But at some point, the expense side will need some monitoring just to be safe.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Eh, just do what businesses do for extraordinary expenses--claim the expenses as a one-time charge against earnings. Repeat annually as needed for the new girlfriend (and congratulations!).
I can say with some certainty that I will NEVER EVER participate in another major remodeling!

Roof again in 15 years or so, unless a hailstorm comes along at an opportune moment...

As for the new GF, having been around this block a time or two, I can say with certainty that nothing is certain. But she's cheap frugal like me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
You can't put a price on love...
Couple hundred an hour?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

Crap, I just totaled all my spending for 2010, taxes, new car, everything. It was close to 150k. Next year my taxes should be about 12,000 less and I shouldn't need a new car for awhile, we were a little more generous than usual also. I think Ill just go back to watching my net worth and after tax spending. Thank god we don't have any debt.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
While this thread is about expenses, they can't be looked at totally in a vacuum. If an expense such as income taxes rises because the income itself rises, then it is not very relevant to the overall expenses because the money to pay those increased income taxes will always be available to pay them from the increased income.
This is why I look at both total spending and total spending apart from taxes.

If I look at the amount I need apart from taxes, I can get a rough idea about how much more than that I would need for taxes and add that to my total required pre-tax income when I retire. And the amount I would need for taxes is a LOT lower than the taxes paid now (and there would be no Social Security taxes, at least under current law).

We actually don't have anything resembling a budget. But I do look at our cash flow each month and as long as I'm satisfied with it, no action is needed. If it starts getting a little less positive than I'm comfortable with (and it's not because of a large, planned expense), then we cut back on spending a bit.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #114
gone traveling

After reading all these posts on how little is spent (IMHO) during the year, I feel like I should leave the forum ...

Assuming you get close to the maximum in IRA/401(K) contributions, along with such low expenditures, we must have a lot of current/future multi-millionaires posting here...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's quite the car. What did you buy?
I bought a 2010 Honda Fit. I base my expectation that it will last 30 years on the length of time my 1980 Toyota Corolla has lasted.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
After reading all these posts on how little is spent (IMHO) during the year, I feel like I should leave the forum ...

Assuming you get close to the maximum in IRA/401(K) contributions, along with such low expenditures, we must have a lot of current/future multi-millionaires posting here...
I'm with you, there are folks here that spent less on food last year than I spent last month. That includes going out to eat as well as shopping.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, at least those of us who have no pension nor bennies -- not picking on anyone here, just telling the fact -- must really save hard if we expect to survive.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #118
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords,

Thanks so much for being open and sharing this information - it helps my husband and I think realistically about the expenses we have/might have when retired and gives us a range of targets to meet with our income streams. I find this very generous of you towards this community and personally really appreciate it. In fact, I believe that anyone coming to this particular thread along with a few other selected ones would have a wealth of information on how to manage early retirement from many different perspectives.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's odd interesting. I feel like I don't belong after seeing the excessively high amount that most people here spend. Most of the people here spend more per year than most people I know earn.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #120
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
That's odd interesting. I feel like I don't belong after seeing the excessively high amount that most people here spend. Most of the people here spend more per year than most people I know earn.
I'm amazed to see people spend ~5 times what I 'earn'.