Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Man, I am over paying for everything.

Natural gas and electric is about $5400/yr (equal pay on both)
Water/Sewer/Garbage $1320/yr
Prop tax $3500
Homeowners ins $720
3/4 acre, 3800 s/f livable, 3300 unfinished basement.

Still need to get that windmill to offset the electric bill

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Haven't gotten into this interesting discussion because of our annual trek to the great prairie. Just got our internet turned back on here.

Actually, our 1100 sf 2/2 condo in paradise is free, but our picture-window view of the Pacific ocean costs about $6500 HOA/Bldg. Maint & water, about $600 elec., $1500 property tax, $400 Condo insurance. Maybe $1000 for minor repairs/improvements/consumables/etc. (Total - about $10K) I don't count cable/internet, phone, etc. in housing costs - just my thing to do it that way. No mortgage (now). Not sure how to deal with "opportunity" cost. I simply "assume" that the value of my condo goes up (on average) as if it were an "investment" - making it all a wash. Don't know if that is (or will be) true, but don't know any better way to figure it for my situation. Recent prices of sales in our area suggest this is an acceptable way to figure it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I paid off the mortgage before retiring in January so I won't include it for comparison purposes.

Standard Home Expenses
. Mortgage $0
. HOA $1000
. Insurance $1000
. Yard work & Snow Removal $2000
. Property tax $3000
. Maid service $1000
. Water/Gas/Electricity $2500
. Phone & Internet* $1000

Total ~$11,500

*Internet is a necessity for my home but Cable TV, TiVo, and other home entertainment is excluded.

There will always be home projects like a backup home generator and webcams this year and 3 new garage doors next year. $5000 annually for these things is in the budget.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #64

Not sure why any of you would be interested but here goes: 3 places( city condo 1800sf: lake house 3000sf: mountain house 3500sf). Condo costs about $25k per year, lake house about $50k per year, and mountain house also about $50 k. Obviously expensive but an integral part of our lifestyle.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #65

Mortgage 0
Property Taxes 2,000
Monthly assessment 4,000
Electric 240
Home Insurance 220

ANNUAL TOTAL about 6,500
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #66

Why is it dangerous to put actual amounts ? As long as you do not give your name and address, you will remain anonymous - correct ? Assuming other posters tell the truth, I actually find many of these threads quite helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Also, "I do not feel comfortable giving actual $ amounts". I agree with that part, it's quite dangerous to put real number out there but I am hoping that noone here know who I am and we all remain "faceless". :-)

enuff
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

With enough posts on a message board, it's not too hard to figure out the real person behind the fake handle. If someone's expenses stand out enough to make them of interest, I can see not wanting to post real numbers.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Mortgage 0
Property Taxes 2,000
Monthly assessment 4,000
Electric 240
Home Insurance 220

ANNUAL TOTAL about 6,500
That's awsome for a doc.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Condo costs about $25k per year, lake house about $50k per year, and mountain house also about $50 k. Obviously expensive but an integral part of our lifestyle.
Does the $125k represent 30% or less of your normal income? I assume there are no mortgages in those numbers.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #70

I live below my means as I have been planning to retire in 2012, age 47.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
That's awsome for a doc.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #71

Good for you many of them do not. I am sure you know what I am talking about.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Does the $125k represent 30% or less of your normal income? I assume there are no mortgages in those numbers.
No mortgages. Represents about 15% of normal spending/income.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No mortgages. Represents about 15% of normal spending/income.
danmar, I glad to hear you're done quite well. Mind to share how and what you do to accomplish such success?? and mind if I borrow one of those unit on one of the weekend that you're not using? :-)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #74
Dryer sheet aficionado

This thread has been interesting. I think it would have been better if you stated where you are. I surprised by taxes and utility costs for some.

I'm in a luxury 2 bedroom condo overlooking a few pools with a five minute run to the beach in Thailand.

Rent is $9000 a year. Utilities, internet and cable are $320. No insurance, don't have many possessions. Utilities are cheap because I don't use A/C. I could easily live for about 40% less but I love the pool and the amenities. Less than that in a area not near the beach.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
danmar, I glad to hear you're done quite well. Mind to share how and what you do to accomplish such success?? and mind if I borrow one of those unit on one of the weekend that you're not using? :-)
Actually we have done home swaps with people who have second homes. They are non-simultaneous swaps and very flexible, provided you can time the swaps. In our case, they came to our home in Vancouver when we were down south, then we used their cottage in the summer. It worked really well.

Now we sublet our place in Vancouver so have no free cottage to use anymore.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #76

Quote:
Described in detail several times in earlier posts. I think some might be sick of hearing it. We often lend our places to close friends and relatives.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure why any of you would be interested but here goes: 3 places( city condo 1800sf: lake house 3000sf: mountain house 3500sf). Condo costs about $25k per year, lake house about $50k per year, and mountain house also about $50 k. Obviously expensive but an integral part of our lifestyle.
Rub it in, Dude, rub it in!

Ha
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Actually we have done home swaps with people who have second homes. They are non-simultaneous swaps and very flexible, provided you can time the swaps. In our case, they came to our home in Vancouver when we were down south, then we used their cottage in the summer. It worked really well.

Now we sublet our place in Vancouver so have no free cottage to use anymore.
So you don't mind adding another friend to your list, right?? I can be family too. ;-)
Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Described in detail several times in earlier posts. I think some might be sick of hearing it. We often lend our places to close friends and relatives.

sorry last message was meant for Danmar.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Rub it in, Dude, rub it in!

Ha
Certainly not my intention. Agree we are very fortunate.