Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much do children cost?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually went to a small island called Dominica for my honeymoon 6 months ago. It is one of the rarely travelled and non-touristy islands of the carib. I wholeheartedly recommend it. Beautiful place and great food. Any by day 3, everyone in the island knew us as the cute white couple on the island

I scuba dived for the first time. I will definitely need to do more of that in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman
And for all means if you aren't having kids, take advantage of the situation and blow lots of money on fun things like really nice vacations.

being childless you really can't imagine the freedom you have compared to having children, so my take is that you should take advantage of it. Take a 2 week scuba-every-day vacation to the cayman islands. Go to Hawaii several times.

- John

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

I heard, a while back, that raising a child through college can run up to $300,000.

But to quote a friend who had four. "I love my kids. I would not trade any one of them for a Million dollars - and I would not give you a nickel for another one."

Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

My kids are now 23, twins. Just when do they stop costing you?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kids don't cost much. I've got one for sale cheap...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm
My kids are now 23, twins. Just when do they stop costing you?
Emotionally: never

Financially: as soon as you realize continuing to subsidize them harms both you and them and cut them off.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

Financially: as soon as you realize continuing to subsidize them harms both you and them and cut them off.

What a great answer !
Old 05-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

And not to fear....... just because your kids are out of the house and doing ok in their lives, the grandkids come along!

If you let them, and I admit I do, the emotional ups and downs and the expenses keep right on with that next generation of rugrats! But the feeling of family inclusion and participation with the little ones seems to be good for me and overcomes the occasional aggravation.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw figures put out by the US Government on this issue about a year ago. I think the government estimates that kids cost the average American family about $10K per year (though I'm not sure whether that's per child or on the total for all kids), until the kids are 18. Not surprisingly, the wealthier you are, the more likely you are to spend more than the average.

And obviously, once they hit college age, costs could really balloon, or they could cease completely, depending on how much financial support you want to give.

So, for a rough estimate, figure about $180K for the average American family to raise a kid to age 18, and increase that depending on how much more wealth you have than the average family.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Somewhere between a dollar and ten million.

You get to choose.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

In many areas of the country you would likely not want your child to attend public school. I would not want a child or grandchild of mine to attend public school in Seattle for example. In our state test results have been published for school districts and individual schools. A perusal of these makes it clear that only a few well off suburban districts teach their students anything much.

50 years ago I started public high school in a Midwestern city. Within a week it was clear to me and my parents that this wasn't going to work, so they picked up tuition for private school. I later transferred to a tax supported magnet school that was fine, but not every city has these, and by definition admittance is limited.

So maybe the bunny is right that one can chose what a child costs, but I am glad that my parents felt that these choices were bounded by the need to see that things went well.

Anyone price orthodontists lately?

Ha
Old 05-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

Ha
I have a friend who just took her 11-year-old in to get fitted. The estimate for the 2-3 year process is ~$7000 (assuming all goes well, of course) and their dental insurance will pick up about $1000 of that total.

Charlotte
Old 05-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
As a total outsider, I have a question.

What per cent or children are having orthodontic work?

Anecdotally, it seems just about all of coworkers' children were.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

2 decades.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan

I don't know. My wife had it, I didn't. Both my kids did. Like you, it seemed to me that >50 of % children wind up getting this. I believe it is much less common in the UK, which is known as a nation with crooked teeth.

Ha
Old 05-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
In many areas of the country you would likely not want your child to attend public school. I would not want a child or grandchild of mine to attend public school in Seattle for example. In our state test results have been published for school districts and individual schools. A perusal of these makes it clear that only a few well off suburban districts teach their students anything much.

This is an example of why my response was, how much do you have and multiply by 110%. We raised three kids and God blessed us with lovable kids (most of the time) who behaved well (most of the time) and stayed away from drugs or other harmful things. We loved them when the were kids and still love them now that they are grown. But as far as cost, I don't think we could ever stick to a budget because there was always something else we wanted for them, maybe a private school, maybe special books, toys, etc. Seems we were always about 10% or so above what we thought we wanted to spend. Granted, if we had less we would have spent less, if we had more we would have spent more, but I think we would have always spent just a little more than we thought we could afford. Was it worth it? Yeah, I think so.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

50% of the children at my house are having orthodontics this year. I'll know for sure in a few weeks but the guesstimate for 2007 was $3,000. Insurance will pay ZERO.
Put $2,000 in a limited flex spend acct and I'll pay the rest from HSA money so we can move right through that one. Always hate to hear peers talking about their payment plan for the orthodontist.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman
And for all means if you aren't having kids, take advantage of the situation and blow lots of money on fun things like really nice vacations.
being childless you really can't imagine the freedom you have compared to having children, so my take is that you should take advantage of it. Take a 2 week scuba-every-day vacation to the cayman islands. Go to Hawaii several times.
My BIL and his spouse (both earning good incomes) shamelessly spoil their niece.

He's thinking age 55 for his ER, when her pension kicks in with medical benefits. Until then it's Las Vegas, Ocean City, Atlantic City, Branson, you name it.

Quote:
In what must be an amazing coincidence, at least 100% of the kids referred to orthodontists need orthodontia.

The rest of them get it when they're grownups...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:

My daughter (now 29) didn't have any orthodontic work. Her upper teeth came in perfectly straight, and her lower teeth were slightly crooked. Her dentist said that they weren't severely crooked and she didn't really need an orthodontist for dental health, but that if she wanted one he would refer her.

We decided not to do it. That didn't go over too well with her (to put it mildly), but it wasn't her decision.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Disclaimer: I have not read every post to this thread

Question: How much do children cost?\

Answer: It depends..............especially on your location

A pet peeve of mine with this otherwise awesome board is that folks rarely identify thier location and it makes a huge difference when subjects such as this are brough up. Having moved from Indiana to Maryland I can attest there is a significant difference in cost of living in various areas of the country that translates most specifically to taxes, food and housing. When we lived in Indiana and traveled "back home" to the DC area with infants, we brought all diapers and formula with us. I cried when the kids graduated from formula to milk. So, I would say..........it depends alot on your location.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
A pet peeve of mine with this otherwise awesome board is that folks rarely identify thier location and it makes a huge difference when subjects such as this are brough up.
People are generally hesitant to post personal details like that on a discussion board where they could show up in Google or other search engines, but you may find their location in their profiles (which don't show up in Google).

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote