Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much do you need a month to life and enjoy?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
Good to hear from you again newguy. Very natural that you wanted to think this thing through before pulling the trigger. I think you've come to the right conclusion... go for it. Worse case, you end up teaching full time for a few more years in NC. Not so bad since your new commute would be a LOT easier and you would probably be working in a much more relaxed (better word might be sane) environment. Chances are you'll do fine with an enjoyable 10 to 20 hour a week job for a while. Good for you for thinking long and hard. It's a big decision but it sure seems you're heading in the right direction. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks

Funny I do have 200 unused sick days, someone wrote about me using them next september, I gotta say I might use some while waiting to get the house sold, hey I am ready to get out of New Jersey. Escape from NJ!!

It really is a nice place to live, you can make a bunch of money here, but oh man the fast pace, time to slow down.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy88
Thanks

Funny I do have 200 unused sick days, someone wrote about me using them next september......* Escape from NJ!!
Escape before you NEED the sick time.

Before you start draining those days down be sure to read your contract about how they are managed. Some times these days can be added to your legnth of service at retirement. Extended use may require MD sign-off. Use that resource wisely!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Newguy88,

I just made the decision to retire from teaching about a month ago.* I am now 55 and am glad I won't be doing it anymore.* *The hard part will be submitting your resignation to personnel.* Once you've done that you'll feel a tremendous amount of relief.* I think you'll also notice that* a lot of your colleagues will be envious when they find out you're able to retire.* It looks to me like you're making the right decision.* You'll probably have a small fraction of the stress in North Carolina, even if you have to sub one or two days a week.*

Retire Soon

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:12 AM   #24

Newguy
I've got quite a few friends who have retired from teaching at about the same age as you. They've stayed around rather than moved. Other than that, they're pretty much like you. Not one has even the slightest regret about retiring. Every one has said it was the right decision.
I have also noticed that the ones who were glum have now a much better attitude about life, much happier. The happy ones stayed happy, the snide ones stayed snide, but the glum ones became happier.

Just remember, Life's not a dress rehearsal!

Uncledrz
Old 03-27-2006, 04:33 AM   #25

Just got back from my 4:30am 5 mile run before my wonderful 55 mile drive to work, with this song in my head..

We gotta get out of this place if its the last thing we ever do we got ta get out of this place girl theres a better place for me and you dadadadadada.....

Hummm the trogs?? 1960s??
Old 03-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Good Morning, New Guy!

It's funny but that song has run thru my mind lately, too! And I am determined to do it! Our situation is not as desparate as yours, but I just want out! Our ducks are forming into rows, and once they are there, we will try to sell out and join the "ER Club"!

Go for it, baby!

Jane
Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The Animals...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #28

Eric Burdon and the Animals.

I did my 30 second commute to my home office, then my 6.00 a.m walk around the block with Max, now I am off for my 2 hour hike with a group of friends through the trails, then home, just in time for lunch.

I will probably take Max down to the Marina after lunch, let him chase the Canada Geese.

$4,000.00+
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I did the bare bones to full living budgets a couple of years ago.

Taking housing and cars out of the equation (appropriate in my case since i pay cash for them), and just looking at bare expenses and mandatory capital expenses stretched out to the max (ie, wait until things break hard to replace them, paint the house when it starts peeling, etc).

Also doing all maintenance, upgrade, replacement, repair and so forth with my own hands. While this is implausible for some people, I've found that the process of weeding out contractors and suppliers, waiting for people to show up to give me bad estimates, waiting for people to show up to do the work, watching them do the work, dealing with bad work (way too often), and having to re-do some stuff....its easier to learn how to do it myself, do it, screw it up a little, redo it, and then know how to do a good job of it myself later on. This has a HUGE influence on spending. You might have to double the following numbers if you pay someone to do all your maintenance and repair.

$1000 a month for possum living. Dont drive anywhere necessary, drop insurance to minimums, eating a lot of spaghetti, grains and vegetables, no non-mandatory purchases.

$2200 a month for a reasonable middle class sort of lifestyle. High speed internet, directv, steak and seafood on a regular basis, moderate level of discretionary spending. Full insurance.

$3600 a month for nearly the same level of living as when I was working, which is to say pretty dang good. Expensive wines, eating out often, fairly high discretionary spending. Replacing appliances and other goods for better features and appearances well in advance of their demise, etc.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy88
Just got back from my 4:30am 5 mile run before my wonderful 55 mile drive to work, with this song in my head..

We gotta get out of this place if its the last thing we ever do we got ta get out of this place girl theres a better place for me and you dadadadadada.....
Yeah... not to burst your bubble of feeling original or anything - * - but I find that song in my head at work all the time... usually right after a woefully uninformed client who has hired me to do what he doesn't know how to do, tells we how he thinks I should do it.

I've sort of *(I know totally wishy washy) decided to tell the partners I want to work half time as of Jan. 1. * I'm not sure if that seems like forever or really soon. * * Heck, If Martha did it I can do it... *
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny

<snip>

$1000 a month for possum living.* Dont drive anywhere necessary, drop insurance to minimums, eating a lot of spaghetti, grains and vegetables, no non-mandatory purchases.

$2200 a month for a reasonable middle class sort of lifestyle.* High speed internet, directv, steak and seafood on a regular basis, moderate level of discretionary spending.* Full insurance.

$3600 a month for nearly the same level of living as when I was working, which is to say pretty dang good.* Expensive wines, eating out often, fairly high discretionary spending.* Replacing appliances and other goods for better features and appearances well in advance of their demise, etc.
Hum.* I'm having trouble on this one - seems like I'm at $3,500 for the level that you're describing as $2,200.* *Maybe the difference is all my travel, recreation etc.*
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

pre Katrina - prob ran 2k/mo down in LA *swamp- not out of line with some previous threads on this forum.

post Katrina - with a morgage plus now health insurance - best guess - will settle in at 4-5K/mo - but the year ain't over yet.

Interestingly - right now I don't know - we'll see.

heh heh heh
Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny

<snip>

$1000 a month for possum living. *Dont drive anywhere necessary, drop insurance to minimums, eating a lot of spaghetti, grains and vegetables, no non-mandatory purchases.

$2200 a month for a reasonable middle class sort of lifestyle. *High speed internet, directv, steak and seafood on a regular basis, moderate level of discretionary spending. *Full insurance.

$3600 a month for nearly the same level of living as when I was working, which is to say pretty dang good. *Expensive wines, eating out often, fairly high discretionary spending. *Replacing appliances and other goods for better features and appearances well in advance of their demise, etc.
Hum. *I'm having trouble on this one - seems like I'm at $3,500 for the level that you're describing as $2,200. * Maybe the difference is all my travel, recreation etc. *
Old 03-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #34

For some people the difference between $2200 a month and $3600 is their health insurance.

Other than the health insuarnce thing I'd have to agree with you.

For what it's worth we live pretty well right now on about $3-4 k per month.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #35

Yeah, I posted my numbers sort of as they are right now, without H.I. which is deceptive of me - I just haven't finalized a number to plug in there. My firecalc numbers say I can spend more, so I'm not sweating it. I HOPE to be able to live well on less than $4,000, meaning lower than 4% SWR, more security, growing port, potential to spend more in 3-4 years (Boat? RV?).
Old 03-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Hum. I'm having trouble on this one - seems like I'm at $3,500 for the level that you're describing as $2,200. Maybe the difference is all my travel, recreation etc.
Probably. Our travel is a day trip in the car. Our recreation is a couple of hours bike ride or a trip to the park with the dogs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
Probably.* Our travel is a day trip in the car.* Our recreation is a couple of hours bike ride or a trip to the park with the dogs.
Just noticed the latest name change. Does this mean there is a Junior Bunny running around somewhere on the forum, or just in your living room?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Just noticed the latest name change.* ** *Does this mean there is a Junior Bunny running around somewhere on the forum, or just in your living room?
I think it just means that CFB self-promoted himself and now there is an opening for the Jr. CFB position.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I'll be interviewing for the position later in the week.

Ladies to the front of the line. Gentlemen are welcome to waste as much of their time as they wish.

I like the sound of it. I'm the *senior* bunny! On the other hand, it makes me sound a bit old... :P
Old 03-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #40

newguy, I went through something similar to you (in my case, dithered making a decision while working part time for a few years). Pulling the plug was fantastic--and I have no pension or empoyer-based health insurance.

If you decide you need the extra income a job provides and you have a masters degree, you could consider being an adjunct instructor at the college level--my husband tried that and loves it. At some schools you can do that part-time, either just one or two classes per semester, one semester per year, or even just summers--it can be hard for schools to find profs to teach classes over the summer. At my husband's school, I think they pay $2500-5500 per summer class, depending on enrollment and teacher status (higher pay for staff instructors than for adjuncts).

If you're finding that housing prices or prop taxes are higher than you'd like in NC, you could check out my state of SC. Feel free to PM me for a free tour of the Charleston area--we're very familiar with the neighborhoods form house-hunting a few years ago...actually, that goes for anyone on the board. I can be at your disposal except around my daughter's wedding in mid-May and a month in Italy this summer. (Normally we wouldnt travel during peak season, but the hubster had a paper accepted at a conference in Bologna, so I planned a trip around it--thank goodness I'm retired and could plan the trip around what we want to do and not around what time a boss will let me take off from work!)