Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I use a large regional bank with a branch across the street from my office for my day-to-day checking. I do not pay a fee for either the account or paper check re-orders. I keep a larger account in a short term bond fund at USAA. I can write checks on this account if they are $250.00 or more. I never use ATM machines as I walk across the street at lunch time whenever I need cash, chat with the tellers, draw out my walking around money in person.
Lots of banks charge teller fees now. You are lucky.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 30 years I've paid a couple fees for canceling lost checks. But, I routinely pay for using an ATM when we're traveling. I assume I could avoid most of that by pulling out the credit card more frequently, but we have an irrational preference for cash.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$0

But I am sympathetic to those who pay fees. A couple of years ago I need to cash a saving bonds. The only way I could do so was open a bank account at Bank of Hawaii. For some reason I opened a savings account, minimum $300. Time passes I basically ignore the quarterly statements and then I notice I got hit for $5 inactivity fee. This bought me below the min so I started getting charged a minimum balance fee but since statements were quarterly and fees were monthly....

I eventually after $25 of fees converted it to a free checking account, and I now I am careful to write a check a couple of times a year...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingHomework View Post
Lots of banks charge teller fees now. You are lucky.
I guess so. If they started charging teller fees I would have to change my low tech modus operendi.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #45

I use a small local bank that still operates under their 1886 Dakota Territory charter. I've never paid a banking fee for any service.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

An article today on bank fees: Savers Pay U.S. Banks to Keep Cash as Rates Dip, Fees Multiply - Bloomberg

Almost 80% of largest credit unions still offer free checking. Major banks still offer free checking but not without strings attached. It seems 10% of the people pay fees and 90% don't.

The article states the annual average price of a checking account is $301, but does not state who pays it.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Not surprising. Given today's sub-putrid rates on savings, it takes *very* little in fees to go negative on total return.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #48
Administrator

Zero fees here. There are seven banks within 1/4 mile of my house. They tend to keep each other in line. In fact, some would pay me a cash bonus to open an account with direct deposit. However, I have had the same old-time local bank since we moved here in 1989. Main office on the town green and a small branch at each end of town. They stick to local lending, do not sell the mortgages they write and, accordingly, stay out of trouble.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll fess up: I pay around $100 for an asset management type account (with brokerage services and IRA custodial fees) at Wachovia/Wells, where I also do some banking (CDs, checking account, HELOC and mortgages). I have other banking relationships where most of my CDs/checking/bill paying occurs, where I pay nothing.

I also pay a monthly custodial fee of $2.50 for an HSA.

I think if you count custodial fees, including safe deposit charges, many of us are not getting a "free ride."
Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
In 30 years I've paid a couple fees for canceling lost checks. But, I routinely pay for using an ATM when we're traveling. I assume I could avoid most of that by pulling out the credit card more frequently, but we have an irrational preference for cash.
Have you tried using your debit card at a grocery store and getting cash back to save on ATM fees while traveling.

Gumby, I like your new avatar. We bought our son a teeshirt exactly like that a couple of weeks ago in the Imperial War Museum in England. they had several such posters like that during WW II. The poster we liked best but they didn't have have a teeshirt with the statement on was "Don't Panic"
Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

OK, I'll fess up: I use the WellsFargo PMA thing. No fees on anything. No custodial fees, no brokerage fees, no checking fees, no online billpay fees, no ATM fees, no fees on the kids' accounts, no fees. And you get free checks, too.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Gumby, I like your new avatar. We bought our son a teeshirt exactly like that a couple of weeks ago in the Imperial War Museum in England.
Thanks. It is so terribly British, isn't it?

I was born about 1/4 mile from the museum and lived about 800 ft away from it before I came to the States.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Zero. Credit union member.
I do pay fees for my mutual funds, average of 0.23% expense ratio across the portfolio (per Morningstar portfolio XRay tool). I have a 3 year Preferred subscription to M*, averages out to about $11 per month. Well worth it.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Have you tried using your debit card at a grocery store and getting cash back to save on ATM fees while traveling.

Gumby, I like your new avatar. We bought our son a teeshirt exactly like that a couple of weeks ago in the Imperial War Museum in England. they had several such posters like that during WW II. The poster we liked best but they didn't have have a teeshirt with the statement on was "Don't Panic"
We had to make a pilgrimage to the Imperial War Museum 10 years ago when we visited London as a family. Our junior in high school son wanted to see an enigma machine (he ended up being a comp sci/math major in college as an undergrad). He tried to talk us into traveling to Bletchley Park, but we did not want to take time away from our theater going. He (son) now lives in London and has been several more times to the War Museum and has also made a long anticipated trip by train to Bletchley Park on his own. I wish we had all gone together long ago...
Old 08-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

The Imperial War Museum is the best. Went right after college perhaps I'll get back there. I heard that RAF museum is also excellent anybody been there recently?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
We had to make a pilgrimage to the Imperial War Museum 10 years ago when we visited London as a family. Our junior in high school son wanted to see an enigma machine (he ended up being a comp sci/math major in college as an undergrad). He tried to talk us into traveling to Bletchley Park, but we did not want to take time away from our theater going. He (son) now lives in London and has been several more times to the War Museum and has also made a long anticipated trip by train to Bletchley Park on his own. I wish we had all gone together long ago...
I'm envious of your son, I'd really like to see Bletchley Park as well.

Sorry about the thread-jack
Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Occasional (domestic) wire costs $30 at my credit union. I try to use ACH for the most part but sometimes wiring is better then extra days spent on ACH...
Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

$0 in fees, actually -$700 in credit card rebates!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #59

Zero, because I bank at credit union.

But I was at B of A and saw a placard for various account types which had monthly fees of $9 or $20. The last one was waived if you had a $10k balance.

But I think the big banks make over half their profits from fees.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

I pay a total of $0 for banking fees. ATM usage is free with PNC if you keep at least $2500 in the account.

Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote