Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2018, 01:49 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On groceries themselves from the grocer, about $5200/annually and that includes a bottle of wine a month for DW.

We also go out to eat maybe once every few months as a family and during travel... and I eat out for lunch occasionally. (okay maybe more than I should).

~ $7500 for a family of four total food/wine" budget annually.

I don't ever order any beverage other than water, and I keep it under $6 at lunch. We do try to avoid fast food and eating out though.

I am tempted to do a grocer fast where you see how long you can go with just the stuff in the cupboards before you need to stop (excluding milk and fresh produce/meat).

DW and I both get 10% coupons at our grocer if we schedule flu shots with the minute clinic, so we usually stock up on the before xmas groceries and the end of the year non-perishables to eek out the discount.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For one person I spend around $150-$180/mo. That is all food, drink, and toiletries. I don't drink alcohol, eat out, or get delivery. I stock up on things that are on sale if I eat them regularly so some months may be over $200 while some are under $100.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I don't track it since retiring but a quick back of the envelope guesstimate for groceries and eating out is between 1200 and 1300 a month for the two of us. Add maybe another 75 to 100 for the dog. He's a big dog. Eats his food and any scraps we have plus all the dog treats we give him. And he is looking for more all the time.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
For one person I spend around $150-$180/mo. That is all food, drink, and toiletries. I don't drink alcohol, eat out, or get delivery. I stock up on things that are on sale if I eat them regularly so some months may be over $200 while some are under $100.
While I'm a little closer to $200, as I wrote earlier, what is part of it and the unevenness in getting there is just like yours.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #65

We budget $800 per month for 2. This includes wine and household supplies but not dinning out.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Do we think it could be the cost of groceries in a given area? I would hate to see Koolau's numbers.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #67

How much do you spend on Groceries?

So far in 2018 we have averaged $867/mo for groceries including alcohol and cleaning/toletries for a family of 2. We have averaged about $414/mo for dining out. We snowbird 2 months per year and the grocery/eating out expenses for those months are accounted for in our travel expenses.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

For two of us we spent $658 for the month of November. We did have college DS home for one week. Only a few restaurant meals. I try to focus on eating healthy, cost is secondary as long as we can do it.
Save on other things not food!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #69
Confused about dryer sheets

Save on other things not food!

Saving on food is not very wise; quality foods are expensive. There are lots of other ways that we can save such as gas, electricity, mobile, restaurants, decorations, etc...
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #70

I'm in the HCOL Bay Area. I shop at Sprouts and Safeway, with a few grocery related items from Costco, Trader Joe's or Lucky. Milk is actually cheaper at the local fancy Whole Foods clone. Paper products usually come from Costco or Target.

My freezer is full of $1.99 boneless skinless chicken breasts and tenders from Sprouts, and cheap pork from Lucky. Egg noodles, rice and pasta on sale also are frozen to keep the bugs out. Frozen fruit when bags are on sale for $2.00 at Sprouts. Great for smoothies. Frozen peas and corn from Trader Joe's at $1.29 a bag. Fresh organic lettuce and green beans on sale at the Whole Foods clone - cheaper than Safeway. Fresh fruit wherever it's decent quality and on sale. Safeway whole wheat bread (Orowheat type) on sale 3 for $5.00. Some months a lot comes out of the freezer and the grocery bill is less than $75 per person.

My mother knew the standard price of everything she bought and went through the Wednesday grocery ads for sale prices before heading to the supermarket. I learned that at an early age and it has served me well.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #71

For DW and I, JUST food as we break out our receipts..

Total: $689/mo average, YTD.

- $391/mo groceries
- $129/mo alcohol
- $103/mo dinners out
- $16/mo lunches out
- $38/mo carry-out (Chinese, pizza)
- $12/mo fast food (Panera, Arbys, etc)

Hopefully some of these (especially alcohol) come down a bit in the new year once we are both ER'd and there's both more time and less stress..

We track everything to the penny in Quicken. It'd be interesting to hear how many of the numbers posted are tracked to actuals vs estimated..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I budget $400 a month for one (includes cleaning supplies, paper products, basic wine and beer, etc...). But my food expenses have been dropping. I am simplifying my diet (I loved to cook a large variety of food when I was married but it is not so fun now that I am single). And I am lowering my meat consumption. The goal is to move towards a more plant-based, seasonal, and streamlined diet. But I still favor what I would call "high quality ingredients".
Since you are moving back to Europe, you will probably enjoy the seasonality - I loved that about Europe and I ate most anything they had. I shopped at Aldi and the local stores and ate at local restaurants. Still love it when I'm there for pfefferlingen or spargel season! I've also found that in many countries wild meat is eaten a lot (deer meat or other meat that has been hunted by the family) . Very clean and high protein....
Old 11-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #73

Single person - ~$240/mo includes paper goods, cleaning goods, booze, everything.....huh, not too bad. I buy good proteins (fish, beef, chicken, cheese, eggs). I've found that the deals at Sprouts for meats, fruits and vegetables are very well priced for excellent quality. Costco is a good deal, although being single, the quantity can be overwhelming. The Wednesday flyers now feature in much of my shopping and eating. I cook for myself and eat out rarely. I've found I like my cooking and if I am disappointed with a restaurant feel like I wasted money.

Dining: - $249 so far for the year

Does not include vacation expenses - those were: $3600 total, but many of my trips are combined business/pleasure. I skied Alaska, hiked the Grand Canyon, traveled to Portugal, Germany and Paris as well as the Baltics and Sweden this year. I was able to expense all of the travel expenses to Europe....I do try to eat out at good restaurants when traveling and found out about the White list (comparable to the Michelin list, but for the Nordics and Baltics) and ate at two of those restaurants (one in Lithuania and one in Estonia) - wow - great food and of course the Baltics are fairly cheap, so the meal was an excellent price. I also went at lunch time so the prices were lower.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I usually buy about 20 pounds of produce or so from 99 Cents Only for around 50 cents a pound. A lot of it just seems to be overstocks or irregular shapes, like peppers that are fine, just part red and part green. Or a bag of 8 kiwis for $1 - some might be on the small or large side but perfectly fine.

I find it kind of fun to go and stock up on the super bargains - fresh asparagus, shitake mushrooms, oyster mushroom, blueberries, blackberries are all just a $1 a package / bunch. The other week they had frozen artichokes for a $1 a package, $4.50 at the local retail supermarkets. One day they had brand name almond butter on sale for $1 a jar, $11.29 retail so I stocked up quite a bit. Often I get cheese and nitrite free lunch meat for just $1 pound.

Most of our meat I get on sale for $1 - $2 a pound like chicken tenders from Sprouts. Grocery Outlet has organic grass fed ground beef for $4.99 a pound. We try not to eat too much meat so that lasts us a while.

I wish I would have known to shop like this years ago, especially when we had teenagers in the house. It might have knocked some years off our retirement date. I've started taking some of the money I save on groceries and donating it instead. I would rather see the money go to causes I support than over-priced supermarket store profits.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

There are actual spent numbers. Does not include non-grocery items. Per month, mostly for 2. During 1st half of 2017, DS was at home with us and he has been with us some this fall. We do not drink alcohol. We eat out 2 to 4 times a week. Most meals are under $40 for 2.

Groceries - $743
Dining out - $446

Groceries - $635
Dining Out - $397

Groceries - $652
Dining Out - $626

Dining out is high in 2018 because we moved this year. We ate out a lot when we were painting our kitchen and having other work done to the house and when we were living in a short term rental while trying to find a new house while visiting my mom in the hospital/rehab almost every day for 2 months.

We do eat a lot of organic food. Also spend about $80 a month on Coke Zero which I am currently trying to cut down on or eliminate.... I would like to get dining out to $400 but not sure I will get there. We now live much closer to a lot of restaurants that I like. Many are not that expensive (under $25 for the 2 of us) so we are able to eat out more often. I would like to see the combined total closer to about $1100.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #76
Gone but not forgotten

We are at $400 for food ,household supplies & wine . We eat out usually two or three times a week so that adds another $400 a month.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
So one person never eats at home?
Something like that.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Instead of dollar amounts, I will say that our total food cost is a bit more than 7.3% of our total living expenses.

That's low compared to the 10% I have seen for the average in the US. I guess we either eat little or inexpensive food, or spend too much on other stuff.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
For 4 weeks, I'm trying HelloFresh for 4 meals per week.
I am getting $20 off per week , and perhaps another $20 from Amex.
Basically just to have some variety and force me to make new and different meals from normal.
This will raise our grocery bill, but that is totally fine.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
Currently we budget $400 for our family of 4, we have a teenager and soon to be teenager. We budget $100 a month on "date night" but in all reality it's more entertainment than actual food.

I estimate our grocery budget will be $300 when the boys are out of the home.

Whats your grocery budget?
Very impressive OP.

We (2) are spending just below $700. I think the organic items are driving up our costs but it's an acceptable trade-off.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote