How much is enough

Re. a previous post about Vermont winters, I truly don't understand (absent special circumstances) why anyone chooses to live in winter weather like that.
John Galt
Skiing.

Although I do not Ski, I enjoy watching it snow 8), and walking in the woods while it snows.

My son likes to ski, and I enjoy going to the ski lodge and watch the snow fall, and the people ski, and read a good book.

There is a freshness to the atmosphere that you only get after a snowstorm has cleared the air.

And snow is a great way to charge the aquifers - slow melting snow has a tendency to soak into the ground and not all run off.

And you must ask yourself why most of the most sucessfull civilizations (at least before air conditioning) are in the places where there are four seasons a year. It probably is healthier for people for the winters to kill off the insects and many pathogens once a year.

And you must ask yourself why most of the most sucessfull civilizations (at least before air conditioning) are in the places where there are four seasons a year. It probably is healthier for people for the winters to kill off the insects and many pathogens once a year.
How are you defining successful? My theory is that in tropical places the people spent all their time swimming, surfing, sunning and eating fruit all year instead of working whereas in four-season climates the people had to plan ahead, organize and innovate or die of starvation or bitter cold. 8)

Almost...many of the past highly successful civilizations were in hot places where there was little cool weather. Mesopotamian, aztec, mayan, toltec, etc.

Except for not understanding crop rotation, smallpox, invaders with guns and cannons, and other sundry items, those civilizations might still be thriving.

ESRBob
Good info

Why are tips rated so high with FIRECALC ?

Why do these unrelated posts appear in the middle of a topic ?

How can you figure the federal tax over the long run, ie. 10 %
(by the time you subtract all the deductons etc.)

Back
Top Bottom