Between $3 million and $4 million 46 10.27%
Between$4 million and $5 million 23 5.13%
At least $5 million 35 7.81%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

How much is enough?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How much is enough?

I know that a lot depends on your individual lifestyles, but I'm curious to see how much everyone is targeting for FIRE.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on the lifestyle, spending budget and term of retirement.

You might get something a bit more useful by going with ratios...like 25x annual budget.

A million might be good for someone that spends 30k and spends most of their time at the park reading library books. For someone that spends 80k a year eating out all the time and travelling....not so much.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I need 20-30 million....I should have it in 2-3 months...
Old 06-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yep - check me off for the 25 times expenses/expected budget camp.

heh heh heh - lot of devil in those pesky details .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

A million would be huge to me. Right now I gross 50K but save 20K so 4% of a million would be more than I spend now by 1/3rd and after I get SS in 3 years my spending money would be twice what it is now.
Besides I have a roommate where many people are supporting more than one person even in retirement. If I had to support a child or spouse I would need more but a single can easily live on a million invested especially if the home is paid off and they have roommate income.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
A million would be huge to me.
I had a thread on the old board about the husbands that are looking towards ER and their non-working spouses that don't want to alter life style (keep the big houses, etc). The premise seemed to be "DH can die at the plow as long as she doesn't see a change." If he does, she can discuss it with all her girlfriends the next time they all meet for lunch.

If DW disappeared (without removing 50% of the assets), I could live in my definition of luxury of 50+ years. DW wants the big house and all the accessories. I will agree that she's prudent with her spending but it is still based on the fixed spending required for Lifestyle X and not my defintion of ER Lifestyle Y. I'd move more money to recreation/traveling and the big house/fixed expenses would disappear.
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #7

i think i've posted this elsewhere: if a million doesn't buy your way out of indentured servitude, then life just ain't worth it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #8

I voted for 2 - 3 mil, but our expenses are only $50K. I guess I am a victim of "the more you have, the more you want."
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Administrator

I voted between 2 and 3 million although I expect to RE with savings of 1.5 million because I expect to have company pensions (non-COLA) of $60K/year.

25 x expenses is $1.75M but if I make it through the next 33 months then I'll be Rich, Wealthy, Loaded, bags of lolly, wa ha ha ha
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The results of this poll are very interesting. It looks like most can make do with 2million or less. At a 5% rate of withdrawal 2 mil gets you $100,000 a year. Some have pensions to supplement, some live in more expensive areas, some less, and of course lifestyle issues are a big factor, but it is interesting that most are falling at 2million or less
Old 06-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You'd have to live a little extravagantly to spend six figures in retirement...and at that spend rate quitting your job probably never occurs to you.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You'd have to live a little extravagantly to spend six figures in retirement...and at that spend rate quitting your job probably never occurs to you.
Good fun trying though

We've never been close to $100k/yr spending during our working lives, 'cos you never know when you might lose your job or some other disaster, but once it is unearned income we may well feel a little differently.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My goal is $1.5 million minimum or 25 times our projected expenses ($60K a year).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

yearly expenses of over 100k a year could easily happen if you live in an expensive area like DC and you have several kids
Old 06-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
My goal is $1.5 million minimum or 25 times our projected expenses ($60K a year).
An alternative goal for others in that spending bracket may be $1.25 million with a part-time job earning $10K a year. This may allow for a much earlier semi-retirement. Earning $10K a year is not that difficult, and the portfolio may grow to the $1.5 million on it's own in a good market.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I voted $3-4 million because I will have NO pension.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We are close to our minimum goal (portfolio size) for ER now. That amount is not so much based on our minimum expense needs, rather perceived needs with a generous amount of discretionary spending. I believe we could ER now... But I feel that there are some incentives for me to keep working for another 4.x Years to ER @ 55. That qualifies me for the company medical plan and a small non-cola pension (pension is cut down on actuarial basis if ER).

We currently have about 7 years of anticipated expenses in intermediate bonds and cash. I am shooting for a 60/40 stock/bond allocation. This would provide us with 10 years of income (till we reach 65). That should hold us even if we had to liquidate all of the fixed assets in a horrendous bear or sideways drift market. Then some of SS can kicks in. If we were really strapped, we would both (DW and I) take SS @ 62... If not, I might wait till 66.x.

My goal is to have all debt paid off before ER.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #18

I voted for what we have now since I ER'd a week ago.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

< $1M for me, cause I wanna retire in this lifetime...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted 4-5 million because I'm so conservative, and and want a big cushion. I'm hoping to retire before my kids reach college age, so I'll need to fund 8 yrs, if not more, of college (2 kids) +/- med school? law school? in retirement. Also, what if we get another 9/11? 1.5 million is suddenly less than 1 million!
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote