Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room, 10
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.
--AE Housmann
.................................................. .............................
Yes, fifty springs seems like quite a lot,
By then, I'll rest down in my plot,
At most t'will be like twenty five
And luck by then to be alive.

So sunshine, flowers, smiles and joy
Shall be my efforts to employ
What's left of wit, and time to share
With those who matter and who care.

One of the "Lucky Few"
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Housman Fans R Us!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.
Housman Fans R Us!

Dear RobLJ--

Thanks for the reminder of that delectable Housman poem: it inspires even more hutzpah (sp?) to pursue any full day of procrastination!

Dear Imoldernu--

And thank you for the Housman sequel: not only does it give another good boost to days of world-watching. It also reminds us of the pure, unadulterated FUN of poetry. And, with ER, who has to put a $ value on verse?

Nobody in ER: that's for sure!

Dang...........this is the good life!

"Everything becomes more itself." --C.S. Lewis
LitGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am seeing ads for In-Home Senior Care while viewing this thread. (And what's truly terrifying, the ads say "A Sodexo Brand." Sodexo is responsible for the awful Govt cafeteria service in the D.C. area. The food looks great, tastes bland, and is very expensive. Although I am assured that the firm is very into green practices, diversity etc.)

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Owning whole life will cost you tens of thousands in lost investment income. It's worse than an annuity. You are lucky to earn 1-2 % interest on a whole life policy vs 7-9% annually compounded yourself. Worse yet, if you die and then the life insurance pays out, you forfeit the investment portion! It's a win win for for the insurance co at your expense.

Be careful with that wide brush you are painting with Al.

I bought a whole life policy when I graduated college in 1977 and the IRR through my 2013 policy anniversary was 5.07% per annum (the cash value is equal to the premiums paid accreted at 5.07%). If I add in the value of having the life insurance coverage (and buying less term insurance than I otherwise would have) then the return is north of 5.07%.

If I die tomorrow, the death benefit that my beneficiaries receive would equate to a 8.29% annual return (the tax-free death benefit would be equal to premiums paid accreted at 8.29%).

So over very long periods of time whole life can be a reasonable purchase. That said, I still prefer BTID, but your broad brush is unfair in my experience and many others.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote