Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What will be the duration of the current bear market?
3 to 12 months 14 31.82%
More than 12 Months but less than 18 14 31.82%
18 Months or More 16 36.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I tend to agree. If we sell off as hard as '73-74 or '00-'02 in percentage terms, starting from relatively sane valuations compared to those peaks in 1973 and 2000, when the dust settles the market would look very cheap for those with a strong stomach and a willingness to wait years to be rewarded.
I don't think that it is necessarily to be expected that we will have to wait years. If history is any guide, many stocks will double and triple off the bottom in very short order.

Of course, my bullish bias should perhaps be taken as a warning of more pain to come!

ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
what comes out of a bear first & fastest, housing or stocks? (my uneducated guess is housing comes out first but stocks go back up faster?)
I think stocks are a leading indicator (anticipating better times ahead) and housing is a lagging indicator (people don't start buying houses again until the economy has picked up enough that they feel confident about their jobs).

So I would think stocks would be more likely to go up first.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

so then i am better off selling houses at bottom (assuming one) and putting that money into market?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think the current bear started in October of 2007. The clock doesn't start when you are already 20% down! (Notice March of 2000 in your list? March of 2000 was the market peak, not 20% down from the peak!)

We are ALREADY 12 months into this one!

Personally, I think we have another 3 to 6 months to go.

Audrey
This is my source as to the start date of the current bear market (not secular bear market) and the others start dates used when I started this thread. The start date of the bear market is based upon when the S&P 500 dropped 20% from its 12 month high. Does anyone out there have any sources that show a different start date for the current bear market?

Average Durations of Previous Bear Markets

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
From that article:

This means that S&P 500 could fall to as low as 967 to 1068 until the end of 2008.

Except that it's already down to 963 and still sinking. Oops.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
This is my source as to the start date of the current bear market (not secular bear market) and the others start dates used when I started this thread. The start date of the bear market is based upon when the S&P 500 dropped 20% from its 12 month high. Does anyone out there have any sources that show a different start date for the current bear market?

Average Durations of Previous Bear Markets
You may be misunderstanding your source. Look at his dates for start and finish of bear markets- they are all from the prior higher high to the next lower low without an intevening higher high..

Ha
Old 10-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You may be misunderstanding your source. Look at his dates for start and finish of bear markets- they are all from the prior higher high to the next lower low without an intevening higher high..

Ha
The beginning and ending dates and percentage decline for nine bear markets since 1957 are the same as my original source with the exception of #1 and #9, where they're fairly close.

A Look at the Nine Bear Markets Since 1950 | AllFinancialMatters

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I guess you are saying something different from me, but i confess that I can't tell what you are saying.

ha
Old 10-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Retire Soon:

From your reference link chart:
March 2000 was a market peak.
July 1990 was a market peak.
August 1987 was a market peak
etc.

What are you arguing? All your references confirm my explanation for when bear markets start. As per your chart, all the markets started at the prior market peak.

In fact your last source states that
Quote:
On July 7, 2008 S&P 500 went into bear market territory after sliding 20% from its October 9th 2007 all-time highs at 1565.15. The current bear market correction has been going on for more than nine months. So how long do bear markets last on average?
So - (assuming that your article was dated July 7 2008 or thereabouts which seems likely), it clearly states that the current bear market was already 9 months old. Today it's 12 months old.

Audrey
Old 10-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Retire Soon:

From your reference link chart:
March 2000 was a market peak.
July 1990 was a market peak.
August 1987 was a market peak
etc.

What are you arguing? All your references confirm my explanation for when bear markets start. As per your chart, all the markets started at the prior market peak.

In fact your last source states that
So - (assuming that your article was dated July 7 2008 or thereabouts which seems likely), it clearly states that the current bear market was already 9 months old. Today it's 12 months old.

Audrey
Thanks for the excellent explanation. I'm not doing a good job of multitasking today as I lose my shirt.

--Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

You're welcome.

We're all losing our shirt except for our brilliant tin-foil hat brethren who went 100% cash over 6 months ago.

Audrey
Old 10-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
what comes out of a bear first & fastest, housing or stocks? (my uneducated guess is housing comes out first but stocks go back up faster?)
stocks and the sector order is always the same. someone noticed it back in the 50's. i'll have to look it up in one of my books but i remember it starts with tech and ends with energy and industrial stocks