Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I work for a global US-based company. HR requires 12 weeks notice for people mgrs and 2 weeks notice for everyone else. If proper notice is not given, then no retirement benefits given. My company provides continued medical/dental/life insurance benefits at same cost to retirees until age 65. So, really important to me to follow the rules! Plan to retire early at 62.

Have to admit, it's a daily struggle going to work every day, as I'm past ready for my next phase in life, but need to use next few years to "top off" our retirement finances, especially considering the long-term cost of medical expenses that medicare will not cover for retirees. I am not telling anyone at work of my planned retirement date until it's time to give notice. I'm just hoping I make it to my planned date and retire on my own terms.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I effectively gave 7 months notice but it was an unusual situation. Megacorp was moving most of its operations and had a great buyout package. It was such a good package that I figure most of the people designing it planned to take it. I took the package but told my boss I'd like to stay at least 3 months so I'd hit 50 and would keep med insurance at the company rate. That was in Feb. My boss was also taking the package to retire at ~55. He signed me up to leave at the end of Sept. as one of the people essentially shutting down the place. I was happy to do it.

How good was the package? Lets just say a year after I left I got a bonus check tied to some company benchmarks - benchmarks they made without me. Like I say, the people designing the package must have planned to take it and they wrote in this tidbit so they's all get checks, too!
Crewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I'm almost 62 yo and will retire in 2019. I've been reading about folks who give up to 1 years notice of impending retirement.
I'm on good terms with my company (MegaCorp) and have gotten along well with everyone.

I've given the company my best for over 3 decades but, I recognize that the company would sell its grandmother if it could make a dollar so, am conflicted over the decision.

So ... should I give 2 weeks minimum or a longer heads up??
I would give them the same notice they give people that they want to
get rid of.
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote