Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My international (VG total International) is about 20% of my equity position. It used to be only 10%, but after doing research about 10 years ago I realized that doubling it would be a better long-term position to take. I still feel that way.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinvest View Post

I am also writing an article on message board personality types and social interactions for a national publication. My experience here will make for some good material.

MM is that you?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am also writing an article on message board personality types and social interactions for a national publication.
Too bad you won't objectively include yourself...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have tried numerous message boards some are very welcoming some are very closed and protective of the status quo.
This board is comprised primarily of DIY investors who are highly suspicious of 'professional' investment advisors who show up with a hidden agenda. You may or may not fit that category, but your posting style certainly got you off on the wrong foot. You are apparently intent on continuing down that rather abrasive path, but perhaps that is simply a device to add spice to your message board personality article.

And off we go...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Based on this page from the TSX website, Energy accounts for approximately $425 BN

Energy, Oil & Gas | TMXmoney

and Mining for just under $563 BN.

Gold Exchange | Gold Mining Stocks, National Gold Exchange

Here you can see the proportionate contribution of various sectors to the TSX.

Canadian Stock Market Research: Stock Market Information, Prices and Daily Trends | Today's Market Activity

I honestly don't know the frequency of naked short selling on the TSX.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

You confuse my opinions with my personality. I am extremely opinionated and many may disagree that doesn't bother me one bit. Everyone is welcome to their own investment strategy and I have not criticized anyone's strategy. I have criticized asset allocation, mpt and some of the closed mindedness I have run into already.

I commend you for being highly suspicious, I am too. And, be careful with the use of professional. I publish a small newsletter and charge money to force me to do it. I have no designs on making any money from it or managing anyone's portfolio. I would highly recommend nobody entrust their assets to anyone who can have access to them.

The forums getting started message states "When you are ready, please introduce yourself by starting a new thread in the “Hi, I Am” section". When I was ready I was going to make a post. I am still not familiar with the navigation yet and was waiting to get up to speed to state my case. Imagine how welcoming it is to get a response that says "Our community is more welcoming to new members who post an introduction on our "Hi, I am...." forum, BCInvest" So the welcome message says one thing but the attitude is completely different in practice. And once one poster takes offense to my opinion it becomes like a shark feeding frenzy and everyone takes a shot.

So judge by the quality of my input not by how closely my views align with yours. I am a pretty easy going guy with very little ego. So don't worry nothing you say on a message board is gonna hurt my feelings. If some value my input I'll hang around. If not I have plenty of competing interests for my time. Oh and I do taxes, but it is all pro bono so no I don't need any new customers. So I have no interest in selling that either (the pay is really bad).

Once I figure out how to start a new thread I'll start one discussing investment strategy to avoid cluttering an international asset allocation thread with this material.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Count me among the people who have to sprinkle the cash among several stocks and countries because I do not know what will be the next FFIV to put all of my stash.

I don't know if Quicken screen is reliable, but it says I have 20% international. I know I hold BASF (the chemical giant), POT (of Saskatchewan), BHP Billiton (Australia), Vale (Brazil), etc..., in addition to various ETFs and a couple of mutual funds. I thought I have more than 20%.

And of course, as earlier posters have pointed out, so many of US companies are really multinational, and many have more than 50% of their sales abroad. I have Caterpillar, Cummins, Bunge, etc... So many stocks, so little money... I want to buy more...
Old 01-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you do a fundamental analysis of each company? If so, how do you keep track of the accounting differences and do you analyze the impact currency changes could have on your portfolio?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I can see many easily take offense to someone who doesn't mirror their ideas.
FWIW, I found bcinvest's CTO analysis to be both informative and inspiring. Currently I am reading all of the material on Consolidated Tomoka Land Company - Daytona Beach, FL in an effort to develop my own value investment skills. If I can understand it well enough to see how the publicly available source material allowed bcinvest to produce that analysis, I'll have some hope of doing similar work for myself. His analysis has also piqued my interest in reading foundational material like Graham's The Intelligent Investor.

I'm a long way from abandoning the indexing investment strategy I settled on after being referred by members of this board to Bernstein, Ferri, Swedroe, et al, but I also have an interest in making more focused investments based on deeper knowledge of fundamentals. After all, my own financial independence did not come from diversified investments in our capital markets; it arose from an all-in investment of 15 years in a single business. I now see that value investing may be another way for me to address the general interest that has lead me to learn about angel investor groups (Angel Capital Association) and to consider a substantial investment in a company that I know well (as a board member and as the son of the founder).

As an E-R.org newcomer who has been treated well and who has benefited greatly from the kindness and generosity of this community, I am disappointed by the prickly, defensive way in which he is being treated. After re-reading every one of his posts, I think we're being awfully rough. In my opinion, E-R.org would be even better than it is if we were willing to welcome experienced retirees and investors with strong opinions as graciously as we do incompetent, humble beginners.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #70

Quote:
You confuse my opinions with my personality. I am extremely opinionated and many may disagree that doesn't bother me one bit. Everyone is welcome to their own investment strategy and I have not criticized anyone's strategy. I have criticized asset allocation, mpt and some of the closed mindedness I have run into already.

I commend you for being highly suspicious, I am too. And, be careful with the use of professional. I publish a small newsletter and charge money to force me to do it. I have no designs on making any money from it or managing anyone's portfolio. I would highly recommend nobody entrust their assets to anyone who can have access to them.

The forums getting started message states "When you are ready, please introduce yourself by starting a new thread in the “Hi, I Am” section". When I was ready I was going to make a post. I am still not familiar with the navigation yet and was waiting to get up to speed to state my case. Imagine how welcoming it is to get a response that says "Our community is more welcoming to new members who post an introduction on our "Hi, I am...." forum, BCInvest" So the welcome message says one thing but the attitude is completely different in practice. And once one poster takes offense to my opinion it becomes like a shark feeding frenzy and everyone takes a shot.

So judge by the quality of my input not by how closely my views align with yours. I am a pretty easy going guy with very little ego. So don't worry nothing you say on a message board is gonna hurt my feelings. If some value my input I'll hang around. If not I have plenty of competing interests for my time. Oh and I do taxes, but it is all pro bono so no I don't need any new customers. So I have no interest in selling that either (the pay is really bad).

Once I figure out how to start a new thread I'll start one discussing investment strategy to avoid cluttering an international asset allocation thread with this material.
Just Googling your username I came across this website, BlueCollarInvestments.com

Is this you or just a coincidence? Just wondering.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Back to the original topic...

The PDF from the link

https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/...ntlEquConsider

Recommends 20 - 40% of one's equity portion in internationals.

(Page 11 of the doc is the conclusion for those who want to jump straight there).

I'm in the process of bumping up my percentage of equities from about 33% to 40%. Even at 40% that's only about 20% of my investments as I use the "age" approach for how much to keep in bonds.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

No that I am not affiliated with that site.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #73

Quote:
No that I am not affiliated with that site.
How about this one Investletter.com
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

My international equity percentage has dropped to 9% so I am going to move it back up to 15%. Given that many of my large individual holding derive more than 1/2 of their revenue and much more than 1/2 their profits overseas, I am comfortable holding a smaller international equity stake than others.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
My international equity percentage has dropped to 9% so I am going to move it back up to 15%. Given that many of my large individual holding derive more than 1/2 of their revenue and much more than 1/2 their profits overseas, I am comfortable holding a smaller international equity stake than others.
This gets interesting and works both ways.

I have almost nothing in the US since I live in Canada and don't want exposure to your inheritance tax. My Canadian portfolio is tilted towards those companies that do a lot of business in and with the US.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, that is the one.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #77

Quote:
Yeah, that is the one.
Okay, thanks.

Welcome to the ER.org site.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #79

My overall allocation to international is 16%, according to the VG portfolio analyzer.

(My Rollover IRA is VG Target 2010 and that is 29% international.)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i appreciate this thread tho there has been a distracting theme in it. after reading various comments i see my international exposure is low and i need to do some shifting from a to b so to speak. i did not realize vanguard had such a high suggestion for international. i would have thought as a retiree having about 12 or 13% was adequate. yet it is about risk and how/when does one decide whether to take more or less? in one respect i should be more conservative and not take as much equity risk about 65% cuz i really don't need to. so if i am going to have that much in equities then i should bump up the foreign by reducing the domestic. very enlightening thread.

i'd like to say that as a new comer i have found this site and the people here to be very welcoming, informed and interesting. i would never make such obnoxious comments about folks here even if i thought them to be true which i certainly do not! i wonder if it is your investing style or your unfriendly comments that people are reacting to bcinvestor? you catch more flies with honey than vinegar you know.