Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

BCInvest, you're more than welcome to introduce yourself on our "Hi I Am...." forum.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1962 View Post
I think it's also worth noting that at least one of us is too new to be a member of the choir and is interested in hearing what bcinvest is willing to share about his investment approach.
This is what the search function and FAQ are for.

But while we are at it, should I pay off my mortgage?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I am too new here to have anything to be found by searching. Just testing the water to see if the community is welcoming or holier than thou.
bcinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinvest View Post
I am too new here to have anything to be found by searching. Just testing the water to see if the community is welcoming or holier than thou.
Our community is more welcoming to new members who post an introduction on our "Hi, I am...." forum, BCInvest. Why not tell us a little something about your retirement goals there?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan on getting familiarized first and making sure this is worth my time and effort. So far I see a lot of thoughtful posts.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Did asset allocation increase your returns from beginning to end? I doubt it. It has the effect of depressing returns and when you need it most it is likely to fail anyways. Bonds, Equities, Real Estate all took double digit hits in 2008.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am too new here to have anything to be found by searching.
I'm sure you did not intend this to sound like "I haven't posted anything, therefore there is nothing worth searching for". There are a lot of things that can be found by searching. Think of a few key-words. Give it a try.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I plan on getting familiarized first and making sure this is worth my time and effort.
Perhaps you would have been better served by spending more time reading and 'getting familiarized' prior to wading in and pointing out our erroneous investment strategies. That comes across as a bit holier than thou, to borrow a phrase.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
I am a value investor and invest in companies I can understand selling a deep discounts to their underlying value. It reduces risk and focuses on primary objective of increasing returns.
I have also been a value investor since reading Benjamin Graham long ago, but I think you would have to concede that it is hard work chasing down specific investment candidates and thoroughly evaluating them. If someone is not inclined or lacks the time to do that, asset allocation via mutual funds offers a way to produce modest gains during normal times without all that much stress. Certainly, the recent economic crash shows us that all correlations approach 1 in a real crisis, but for non-crisis situations, a set and forget basic allocation strategy may be well suited to a large number of people.

As far as investing in foreign equities, I think that with sufficient study, one can come to understand them well enough to invest. My single largest equity position is in a Brazilian company. I think I understand their business and their accounting as well as I understand domestic companies. And it has proven to be one of my very best performers over the past six years.

Ultimately, each of us must do whatever makes us most comfortable. For some, that may be value investing in individual equities. For others, it may be simple three fund portfolio of VBMFX, VTSMX and VGTSX. So far, we here on the board have been able to peacefully coexist notwithstanding a variety of investing styles.

I have found it "worth my time and effort" to participate here, but then my time and effort is probably not as valuable as yours.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I plan on getting familiarized first and making sure this is worth my time and effort. So far I see a lot of thoughtful posts.
All rightee then..... Please let us know if we meet your high standards.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

"I have also been a value investor since reading Benjamin Graham long ago, but I think you would have to concede that it is hard work chasing down specific investment candidates and thoroughly evaluating them."

I had a similar start. I stared with Peter Lynch and did the Intelligent Investor a short time later. It is hard work and it is wading through stuff many consider much too boring. I find it entertaining.

I envy your energy and persistence in mastering foreign investing. I have not and don't know if I ever will. It would be a massive undertaking that I am not mentally prepared for nor do I have the time available.

"Ultimately, each of us must do whatever makes us most comfortable."

I agree wholeheartedly.

"I have found it "worth my time and effort" to participate here"

I am glad to hear you find it useful. It seems there are a good number of posters interested in exchanging ideas. I was a little gun shy posting my analysis of CTO so I sent it to Marc1962 in a personal message. I would be to pass it along you may find it entertaining.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1962 View Post
I think it's also worth noting that at least one of us is too new to be a member of the choir and is interested in hearing what bcinvest is willing to share about his investment approach.
Quote:
I was a little gun shy posting my analysis of CTO so I sent it to Marc1962 in a personal message. I would be to pass it along you may find it entertaining.
You'll have to let us know if you find the analysis worthwhile compared to the books & websites in the recommended reading list.

Or, BC, you could post your CTO analysis in the stockpicking forum and let us all decide.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 21% of my equity portfolio in International---mostly Vanguard International Equity Index. Vanguard changed their recommendation relative to international exposure back in December, from a 10-30% range (20% being in the middle) to a range of 20-40%, with 30% being in the "middle." Since that time, I have been implementing portfolio changes so as to gradually achieve the "30%" number.
Sconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Good grief, someone looking to set a new record for ignore?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm guessing that if it is the latter you will be comfortable here.

For those that are reading and interested in his/her investing strategy you will need to wait until he/she can post a verifiable list of all their trades over the years. We can all then compare a risk adjusted return and decide for ourselves whether they are beating a diversified buy:hold:rebalance portfolio and if so whether it is worth the time and energy to try. Until then he/she has nothing substantial to add to this particular thread.

To the OP it appears the allocation to International varies widely. A similar result would be found if you posted at bogleheads. There is no right answer other than you should probably hold some...

DD
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

My returns are public record. If you want to re-create my trades nearly all the information is available for the 7 of the past 8 years. I am not looking to have anyone follow my strategy nor do I have anything to prove. My posts are worth what anyone takes them for. If you find they are not substantial feel free to ignore them.

I can see many easily take offense to someone who doesn't mirror their ideas.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My returns are public record. If you want to re-create my trades nearly all the information is available for the 7 of the past 8 years.
From your Public Profile:
Quote:
Occupation
Investment Analyst
I'm going to venture a wild guess that you have a newsletter to sell, no?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Back to the original question:

66.6% Canadian (= domestic to me)
17.76% US
15.58% Other International

Reasons to have 2/3 of domestic:
a. I live here
b. Domestic markets include oil, commodities and profitable banks
c. Favourable tax treatment of domestic dividends

Reasons that half of International is US:
a. US is still the largest world market
b. US stocks are likely to do well in the next few years

Reasons that half of International is elsewhere:
a. Tremendous growth opportunities in BRIC countries
b. Australia is doing pretty well
c. Some good opportunities all over the world
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a newsletter, but message boards are not my target market. I target blue collar workers. I am here because I have expertise as a retirement plan practitioner and am an avid vegatable gardener. I was looking for a community the is open to discussing differing ideas and as a possible source for investment ideas. I have tried numerous message boards some are very welcoming some are very closed and protective of the status quo.

I am also writing an article on message board personality types and social interactions for a national publication. My experience here will make for some good material.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds pretty well thought out. How much of the Canadian market is natural resources and have the Canadian markets been plagued with naked short selling like the US markets have been?