Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

12 year old Volvo. And no it doesn't have a Kerry bumper sticker on it. not even a
Visualize Whirled Peas sticker-and I love that one.
Now the envelope of money carved out for a replacement is over 3% but that is a gleam in my eye for a couple of years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Either folks in this thread have some seriously high NW's while driving some seriously crappy cars or else folks are having problems with placing the decimal point. I'm seeing lots of percentages in the .01% range - which means (for example) an old beater car worth $1K and a NW of $10M...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorikmt View Post
If my calculations are correct, our cars amount to 0.0006% of net worth. Both are Hondas, one a 2001 and one a 2002. I hope they still have a lot of life in them because I'd like them to last longer than we do. They both still run great and look pretty good, too.
Well, I see 4 possibilities here, lorikmt:

1. Your net worth is around $800,000,000, which seems unlikely since you're driving two 12-year-old Hondas.
2. Your two Hondas combined are worth about $12, which seems unlikely since they "run great and look pretty good, too."
3. You read stepford's post and decided to make a subtle ironic joke, which seems unlikely since you only used 3 zeros.
4. Your math is not correct.

I'm going with #4.

Speaking of subtle ironic jokes: The other day my friend was claiming that I don't understand irony... which was ironic because we were at the bus stop.

Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #143

<1%. Two 10 year old cars. Bought new and maintained very regularly. We plan to keep the Chevy another year or two and the Lexus as long as it holds up. My experiences the last few years with tech loaded company cars has increased my reluctance to upgrade. For instance the GPS/Radio goes out and the heater won't work. $2k later and it's still a POS.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #144
gone traveling

My optimal transportation would be something like Prague metro/Prague Trams: 5 month ticket costs about 45 dollars for people over 60.

That would represent nearly nothing from my NW and allow me to have few beers on the way home .

BTW it is one of best Public Transportations in Europe. One thing communists did right.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm no accountant, yet I fully understand the nuances. That's why I say things like "I don't count my house in my net worth..." (as opposed to "you shouldn't count your house...") because it's a personal decision based on my personal situation. Certainly my heir(s) would count the money they could get by selling the house (minus fixing-up costs and broker's fees).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I also see people on this forum make comments like, "I don't include my house in net worth because I have to live somewhere." Same issue, only more problematic because house values are generally material to NW. And I think in both cases, the problem is derived from the fact that this is a forum dominated by topics about retirement planning. Generally, what the person really means is: "I don't include my house in the subset of assets from which I expect to derive retirement income because I have to live somewhere." The problem stems from a simple misunderstanding of what is actually meant by net worth, which is much closer to aja8888's description:
Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #146

Quote:
I'm going with #4.
Here's how one would check the math.

Say you come up with 0.02% and you want to validate it's right.

First convert to a decimal =(0.0002)

Type that into your calculator and hit "1/x" =(5000)

Multiply the result by the value of your car, say you spent 12K on a new economy car =(60,000,000).

So that example says the net worth is 60 million.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

RV + car < 1.5% of current net worth

This % is currently declining because of auto depreciation and portfolio growth; I am hoping for (but not expecting) the portfolio grow to take this % down to some of the infinitesimal numbers posted in this thread.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #148

I've never included cars in NW calculations, because at no point do I intend to retain/get the full value of the car. In other words, drive it until the wheels fall or or it's totaled, in which case I'm just getting some portion (trade-in) of the value.

If I did right now, I'd estimate that our 2007 Infiniti G35 (78,000mi) and 2004 Acura RSX (132,000mi) are 1.7% of our NW.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Less than 0.01%
Old 11-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #150

0.8%

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #151

We have some seriously rich or math challenged members, maybe both. For example, .01% means a NW of 10000 times the car's value.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the decimal placement is proving especially troublesome.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #153
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
We have some seriously rich or math challenged members, maybe both. For example, .01% means a NW of 10000 times the car's value.
Or people driving complete piece of garbage
Old 11-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #154
Dryer sheet wannabe

My family owns 3 old vehicles that together represent about .013 or 1.3% of our NW. FWIW the value of a car is an asset (that depreciates rapidly). Any loan balance is a liability. The difference between loan and value = the equity on your balance sheet. I don't count my vehicles in calculating my NW because it is so insignificant.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

A lot of people also have a problem with changing parts per million to percentages to grams per ton.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
A lot of people also have a problem with changing parts per million to percentages to grams per ton.
I don't even try. There's always some online calculator to do that stuff and I'd just muck it up anyway.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Our cars affect our income percentagewise a lot more than our net worth. Big oil should give cars away...
Old 11-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ouch! I'm closing in on 3%! That counts a new Camry for me (old car had the check engine light come on the day I pulled out of the parking lot my last day of w*rk. Was a frightening sign!) Also includes a collector car that will be auctioned in the spring (Anyone interested in a 73 Rachero?), DD's car that I still need to gift her officially through the DMV, DM's car that has my name on the title to protect it from some unscrupulous people, and an ancient RV I'm trying to bring back to life.

Should drop down to about 1.5 percent in a couple years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

It did give me pause to realize replacing a car will be nearly a full year of SWR.
Does that mean I take off a year of my lifespan or like I said before-i've been saving for a new car for years-but no sinking fund.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets

For those of you who question the % number, I'll let you calculate them (although I don't consider vehicles as assets). I'm only including daily drivers, not my hobby stuff.

NW = ~5M
Cars values = ~ $50K

Cars are 2012 Ford Escape, 2005 Mustang GT and 2007 Ranger.