How much of your net worth does your car represent?

eta2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Your are what you drive or you are not what you drive?

To quote Unclemick: I'm agile, mobile, and hostile. My set of wheels is nothing more than my most efficient means of mobility, and clocks in at an agile 0.43% of my NW.

I think my vehicle represents what I am. A person who drives a car that looks brand new on inside and out, but too cheap to pay for one that actually is. I stereotype and I find it very beneficial. After seeing a photo online for an out of state vehicle and researching through carfax, I was able to decipher quickly that an old man owned this and took immaculate care of it. So I flew out to get it and drove it home. It took me way too long to figure out cars detract from my net worth and do not add to it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think my vehicle represents what I am. A person who drives a car that looks brand new on inside and out, but too cheap to pay for one that actually is. I stereotype and I find it very beneficial. After seeing a photo online for an out of state vehicle and researching through carfax, I was able to decipher quickly that an old man owned this and took immaculate care of it. So I flew out to get it and drove it home. It took me way too long to figure out cars detract from my net worth and do not add to it...

My used car was previously owned by a Retired Drug Dealer who drove it only on Sundays to a local church and back.

BTW he was also LBYM type ...from what I was told by car salesman.

Last edited:
Well, there's a 12-year-old GMC pickup truck, and new Honda Accord, a 5-year-old Suzuki motorcycle - really too small to measure. We buy new and keep 'em until it doesn't make sense to keep it any longer, usually 12-15 years or so. Given the mileage on the truck that might last as long as I do.

My used car was previously owned by a Retired Drug Dealer who drove it only on Sundays to a local church and back.

Was he very old or was it just a "special" Sunday car? It's amazing how you can stereo type and be correct. While researching the car I seen it was purchased with cash, serviced regularly, and always licensed every year a month before it was due, and then sold after 5 years. That had old and retired written all over it. After I bought it I found a paper that had his signature on it in glovebox, so I googled his name and town he was from and yep, he was 74 years old.

My fleet of over 15 yo vehicles, off the cuff, about 0.0001%

Honda CR-V, which seems to be about the #10 best selling car in the USA.

I'm currently driving my third one in a row. Just can't say enough good about them. I get a new one about every 5-6 years, around 150,000 miles for me.

About 0.7%
And they are not part of my net worth calculation. Fleet currently consists of three minivans, two 2005 Fords and a 2011 Kia.
All bought used. Last new car was in 1989

0% - no car. I rent a car when I need it.

If I am what I drive I am thus nothing. Or something different every time.

We own three cars for the two of us--two of them quite old. They total about 1.5% of our net worth.

Last edited:
Too insignifcant a number to even bother doing the math.
Yep. The 19 year old pickup and 9 year old SUV don't have a lot of resale. But they're reliable and get us from point A to point B.

Sometimes the "Midlife Crisis red sports car " justifies the draw on net worth (turn the volume down on this u tube link)

Too insignifcant a number to even bother doing the math.
+1, trivial % of NW. But every car makes a statement about the owner, whether it's a Bentley, a beater, or anything in between.

4 door jeep, 2008. Wife has cayman S, 06.

I'd say the cost was 15% my current savings. Maybe 10% NW.

Both cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Too small of a percent...Currently own almost 13 yrs old Odyssey and 7 yrs old Camry. Hope to buy BMW 5 series before I retire….

My portfolio usually throws off more cash in a month than my two cars are worth combined.

Actually I did not include my vehicles in counting my investment asset. It is a very tiny amount and is depreciating as I write this.

Sometimes the "Midlife Crisis red sports car " justifies the draw on net worth (turn the volume down on this u tube link)

I wasted so much money on cars in my twenties chasing tail, I couldn't afford a midlife crisis car!

Back
Top Bottom