Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your retirement income comes from "guaranteed" sources?
0% to 25% 83 35.62%
26% to 50% 39 16.74%
51% to 75% 52 22.32%
76% to 100% 59 25.32%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As of today, all of it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do any of you consider at least some of the monthly dividends from a bond fund "guaranteed?" I have a big chunk of money in a bond fund and while 100% of the monthly income is not guaranteed, I'd say that 85% or 90% of it is. It isn't like each and every company whose bonds are within the bond fund are going to go belly-up even if a small portion of them could do so in any given month.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #83

I answered on basis of our projections, with more weight on the closest decade.

first 10 years of retirement, 0%
Assuming we can claim SS under current rules, I claim on spouse when she hits FRA and files restricted, then 5-10% until I hit 70.5 and she the year after....

after DW is 70.5, we are probably looking 20 to 40%, but very unclear. Possibility of inheritance (which, like social, we don't presently account for), and our withdrawal plan is variable 1% of previous quarterly closing balance.... Plus, an SPIA could well be in store after age 70, but that is a long way out.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
...how much from "guaranteed" income streams not directly related to the stock or bond markets, like SS, pensions, SPIA, CD interest and perhaps even rent.
I did not vote.

Right now, the guaranteed portion is 0. Relative to what we spent in the last 12 months, if we both claim SS at FRA it will be roughly 1/2 and if we both wait till 70 it will be 2/3 (we are the same age).

And I do not see myself keep on spending like the last 12 months. There have been many extraneous expenses that should not be recurrent.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #85
gone traveling

FIREd @46. Zero guaranteed income. 21 years till SS. Heavily equity weighted AA ( 90% to equities, 10% cash).

Can not see going away from equities due to need for 2 percent dividend yield and capital gains in this low rate environment. May be taking on too much risk now but still feels like time is on our side for the next decade and with a 40 year retirement window it's foolish to be too conservative now or next 10 years.

Have considered annuitizing some of the portfolio but think I'll do better longer term to stay in equities (dividends and cap gains) -

Series of return risk has me worried, will likely to shift to more conservative stance in about 10 years. Then go aggressive again in 20 years as we approach SS age til the end.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #86

Megacorp pension, military pension, two social securities (DW and mine) are all guaranteed, I guess. We can live on that income and never touch the investments. But, of course, RMD is making us do otherwise.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
Megacorp pension, military pension, two social securities (DW and mine) are all guaranteed, I guess. We can live on that income and never touch the investments. But, of course, RMD is making us do otherwise.
Agreed. But of course, RMD is only a requirement to pay taxes, not a requirement to spend.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #88

+1 and it makes my SWR .9% I think the money should last.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #89

Currently 50% of our spending comes from pensions, the rest coming from savings and investments.

Over the next 10 years, through to age 70, we have another 4 sources of pension income coming on line which may well cover all our expenses, certainly all our essentials. ( a private pension for me, SS for DW, SS for me plus UK SS for me).
Old 09-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Agreed. But of course, RMD is only a requirement to pay taxes, not a requirement to spend.
That is what my Mom does... the RMD just goes from her IRA to her taxable account... between SS and rental income she has more than what she spends so there is no need to spend her RMDs.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #91

Cash, SS, surrender value of small annuity, IRA Bank CD's calculated @ 1% for planning, IBonds calculated @ base purchase interest rate only, and a planned sell down of assets.

As we plan to eventually sell our home, and move to a rental CCRC apartment, we calculate the amount based on our purchase price, while the estimated value is 30% higher today.

We calculate all of that as totally conservative, so "guaranteed".

Very small amount in conservative stocks.

Empirical estimate 85% "guaranteed"

Only need to plan for 5 years... 10 years at the most. Money doesn't seem important any more.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That is what my Mom does... the RMD just goes from her IRA to her taxable account... between SS and rental income she has more than what she spends so there is no need to spend her RMDs.
That's success in my book!

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

For the present, my $36k pension covers everything. We can exist on that, but it would sure be nice of we could get 3% guaranteed on the cozy nest egg we have stashed instead of the 1.5% in stable value. We have about 20% stocks, but I dont trust the market for much more than that.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #94

From Columbia U, $29.83 per month. Guaranteed for life!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
From Columbia U, $29.83 per month. Guaranteed for life!
Do you get COLA with that too?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #96

No COLA. They offered a lump sum payout. Considering their generosity I opted for snail mail check delivery.

Have fun once a month, on my way for coffee, to stop at the bank and ask them to cash my pension check. Their reactions are priceless.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I recall reading somewhere on the SS Web site that in case your SS benefit turns out to be less than $1/month, they will not send you the check. I have trouble finding that passage again.

It is theoretically possible that one can work for 40 quarters hence qualifies for SS, but with so little hours for so little income so that the calculated benefit turns out to be less than $1.

Note that if one worked for at least 44 quarters, he would qualify for the minimum benefit of $39.90/month. Why bother requiring this extra 4 quarters, I wonder, but SS rules as most gummint's regulations are full of arbitrary thresholds.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
For the present, my $36k pension covers everything. We can exist on that, but it would sure be nice of we could get 3% guaranteed on the cozy nest egg we have stashed instead of the 1.5% in stable value. We have about 20% stocks, but I dont trust the market for much more than that.
$20k COLA pension and $15k in rent cover my annual expenses. I also have 18% of my assets in TIAA-Traditional which guarantees a minimum of 3% but is currently paying 4%.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 09-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

^^ good deal on that TIAA_CREF. I am jealous.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
^^ good deal on that TIAA_CREF. I am jealous.
It's an excellent stable value substitute, but the money is locked up for 10 years. As I approach SS age I will be slowly transferring out of TIAA-Traaditional using a transfer pay out annuity and taking on a bit more risk.