Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If I had some idea of where that link led I might click on it. Since it's naked, I'm afraid of what I might see.
Popping up on it I at least see that the URL points to gocurrycracker who writes retirement articles.

But yeah - scarily naked with a link name that easily sounds like a site that could have all sorts of malware ready to bite you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 05:03 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you for all the responses
To answer a few of your questions, I am 42, wife 41, daughter 8. We will be eligible for SS if it still exists 25 years later, no pension. And yes I do have a SEP IRA that I will be converting every year to roth up to 15% or even 25%. After putting my numbers in the online calculator you guys are right it's 0 in tax liabilities as I made a mistake previously to put 2 on personal exemption instead of 3. I will buy a health insurance HSA compatible in the market exchange. TX is one of cheaper states when it comes to healthcare insurance. If I retire today it will cost me $942 for the family. And out of pocket max $6500 per person, but caps at $13100 for the family. This is for a bronze metal plan. So it will cost me around 12k in a good year, and 24k in a bad year for healthcare. My concern is also if I convert my SEP IRA to roth up to 25% of my tax bracket, my qualified dividends will be taxed at 15% instead of 0%.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:15 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing to keep in mind on conversions is that once your breach the $75,900 top of the 15% tax bracket ($100,750 of income assuming MFJ, standard deduction and 3 exemptions) you will pay 30% on any additional conversions f Hor a while (15% on the increase in ordinary income and 15% on qualified income above the top of the 15% tax bracket). However, you can easily recharacterize any excess when you finalize your tax return to avoid that 30% tax.