Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I calculate net worth and spending activity on the last day of every month and record into a spreadsheet. If there's any rebalancing ill do it as well. All told its about an hour a month. But for fun I'll spend several hours a day reading about finance, talking about business deals, etc. simply because it's a hobby.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Like others, I take a peek at my brokerage acct almost daily. But as far as reviewing/analyzing each stock, not that much.
+1

I spend more time these days figuring/guessing tax implications of withdrawal strategies, when to take pensions when to do ROTH's etc, than on portfolio AA, and fund performance. The portfolio is pretty well set on auto.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #23

I suspect the time I spend on investments is inversely correlated to short term future stock market performance. As the market rises, and my portfolio follows, I lose interest and shift my focus to other things. Then the market falls and all of a sudden I'm deeply interested once again. Lately I've not been interested in investing...
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually making changes to the portfolio, rebalancing, etc: 6 hours per year (3 hours sometime late in the year to do any loss harvesting, estimate dividends for tax purposes, and to devise any plans to get under the next highest tax rate. 3 hours before filing my taxes in conjunction with IRA investing, solo 401K investing, and rebalancing).

I seldom check my account balances (most years I don't look at them at all outside of the normal rebalancing sessions). Why do it?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I am not retired yet.

I spend about 2 hours a week reading this forum (there are long stretches of boredom at work). Longer, if I am writing a post (after work). Maybe one hour a week looking for interesting articles on retirement etc. on the web.

I spend about 30 minutes total a week peeking at my Vanguard IRA to see how much has dropped into the MMF and thinking about what I will buy next. Like many here, my AA is pretty fixed. Every year or two I look at rebalancinng which takes about two hours.

I have spent several hours a week investigating the Roth conversion but I have a plan now so that is all until I do pack it in.

Sometimes I watch CNN when I get home from work. The market opens at 6:30 PM my time. For amusement only. I also buy Kiplinger's when I am home because I like to read. Also for amusement. My decisions were made long ago.

I don't expect this to change much after I stop working.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I been semi -retired for a few years, and for my retirement accounts, I check daily or so on quicken, and adjust as needed based on my models.

For my trading account, I spend a couple of hours a day trading (yes, I have been a day trader for a few years in between jobs and assignments) up to 8 hours a day depending on the market conditions.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW! I did not realize most of the folks on this sight spend so much time watching the markets. I'm just an engineer type and I don't really understand nor trust the market stuff. For me........I just hope my FA can do well and keep us out of trouble. ha! How naive is that? Ha!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The checking account that I use requires a monthly ACH transfer in of money, so I have to log into my brokerage account once a month to do that. While there, I glance at my accounts, sell new calls if required, run the filter for new stock candidates to see if anything pops up, sell puts against them to enter a position if any candidate appears, then log out. Probably about 1 - 1 1/2 hour a month. Of course at tax time, I have to go back and pull a dump of the years records and produce a schedule D, but I'm assuming you're not asking about that.
After all I'm retired, not wanting another career in stock trading.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About 30 minutes once a month. I do a monthly tally up, and I also have a % Equity indicator in the spreadsheet, so I can get an idea if I'm getting near a rebalance point. In one of the worksheets I have a scratch pad area for rebalancing that is keyed in to all of the funds, so I can easily twiddle some possibilities.

As the early retirement years have gone by, the urge to look at stuff has declined, probably because I am doing okay.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #30

I spend about a half hour during the weekend to update my spreadsheet for end of week totals. Maybe once or twice a year I'll do a few hours of research. My plan is to increase research soon in order to rebalance.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #31

I track my investments on Morningstar and will check it when there are a big swings in either direction in the market. I have pretty much a set and forget portfolio and only rebalance once or twice a year. Time spent during a normal week, less than 10 minutes.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I spend almost no time actually "reviewing, tweaking, studying, shifting assets, building spreadsheets, etc, etc.". But I spend a lot of time reading about financial matters, and look at my portfolio spreadsheet almost daily and periodically log in to financial accounts to verify. I.E, I like to check in to make sure it is all still there but I don't mess with it.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #33

I am paranoid someone is going to hack one of my taxable investing accounts, sell all my VTI and buy 500,000 shares of a penny stock at the ask price. I don't know how I would fix this but I want to know about it as soon as possible so I check all of my accounts at least twice a week.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #34

I check this site out 3 or 4 times a week (maybe 10 mins per visit) and spend about an hour a day on Boglelheads. Add another hour or two per week reading about investing and/or tax laws on the Internet. I'll spend another couple of hours a month monitoring accounts and maintaining spreadsheets.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably about an hour per day reading and researching new ideas. But I enjoy doing this, did it for years before I retired, and continue to do so. Check in with the indexes several times a day on my smartphone.

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Very little. I look at it daily, on a google spreadsheet, and log on to my real account a couple of times a month, to adjust my spreadsheet for dividends.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I have a bank of 5 computers that run separate market strategies. Have been doing this for about the last 5 years. Most of this is highly automated and I only check results a few times daily. The most successful strategy involves moving between a broad based US etf and an international one. Most days I'm up around +0.5% per account but the compounding is impressive. I've never discussed the algorithms with others but they are based on some non-Euclidian constructs.

If your jaw was dropping at the above, it is only my day-dreams. But it was fun to write this up. Hope you enjoyed it.

In truth (no kidding) I maintain several Excel spreadsheets:
1) One sheet showing all holdings with a linked sheet that sets the allocations. This helps me to keep things in balance. Updated weekly but only need to rebalance maybe a few times per year. I do not rebalance if the market is heading down.
2) One fairly complex set of linked sheets with a gentle market timing algorithm that backtests pretty well over decades and would have me switch occasionally between some selected asset classes. It also has a get-out-of-the-market strategy that only triggers every 4 or 5 years on average. This latter one is optional and is based on equity-bond performance, PE10, and most importantly the yield curve. Big green light at present.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #38

"How-much-time-a-week-do-you-spend-on-investments?

Not smart enough to have "investments" that would change, so very little time.
With some small exceptions, all liquid assets are in annuities, Ibonds, CD IRA's, or savings, so our risk is in inflation. Once a year check up.

But I do watch the market, read 5 or 6 news letters, and CNBC, FBN and Bloomberg. Fun to watch, even with no dog in the fight.

I enjoy reading the downside warriors... Roubini, Krugman Ty Durden and Charles Hugh Smith... just for perspective.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
I calculate net worth and spending activity on the last day of every month and record into a spreadsheet. If there's any rebalancing ill do it as well. All told its about an hour a month. But for fun I'll spend several hours a day reading about finance, talking about business deals, etc. simply because it's a hobby.
+1
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #40

I have an automated way to pull an inverstment value / allocation, but I only run it when there's posts on this board about how good or bad the market is doing. I watch zero TV, so this is how I know if something is going on. But I will run it once per quarter. That timing came from when it took hours to complete. Now it only takes 10 minutes, and most of that is waiting for it to run. But as other have been saying, I spend a lot of time reading stuff, and I'm taking the Stanford online class now, which takes a lot of time.