Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
We have turned our hot water circulation pump off because 30 years of hot water circulating through our copper, slab-buried pipes has resulted in three leaks in the past six years. These are extremely unpleasant due to the fact that our pipes are encased in the concrete of our slab foundation, and so the only way to fix them is to jackhammer them up and then cut out stretches to replace.
With a crawlspace or basement, you'd want to insulate the pipes to reduce the heat escaping.

Ideally, there would be some sort of a controller on the recirculation pump that would run it for a minute or two and then shut it off... Just long enough to circulate the hot water rather than running continuously and allowing the heat to escape. There's actually a pump like that, I think it's called the Chili Pepper water pump, but it's not designed as a whole-house pump, and you might need more than one of them depending on your plumbing layout.
segfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's $5.25 service charge plus about $5.50 per 1000 gal. in my neck of the woods. We use about 4,000 gal/mo. avg. Sewer is a fixed rate of $10-something. Family of 4, the kids are small. 'Bout 33 gal/person/day. Bill came to $36.06 last month.

On the issue of recirculating pumps in order to save water. Seems kind of pointless to me. 100' of 3/4" inside dia. pipe is about 2.3 gal. Maybe my assumption about inside diameter is a little off, but anyway. So buying a setup to recirculate a few gal. per day doesn't seem to make economical sense based on "cheap" water and sewerage, but what do I know. I just like to argue.

-CC