26 yo, single, with one year old infant
Graduated with $140K in student loans
Business degree with 2.0 GPA from expensive private college
Makes $7.25/hour working at a bowling alley
Has a $150/month cell phone plan
Has $120/month cable bill

The anti-FIRE.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Student loans puts college graduate into deep financial hole

Summary of Story:

The anti-FIRE.
Luckily, most people grow up eventually. Sounds like she is not quite there yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Luckily, most people grow up eventually. Sounds like she is not quite there yet.
I thught we didn't have debtors prison. If she can't bankrupt out of these SLM loans, she is essentially an indentured slave.

Ha
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe there was too much focus on completing school and not enough focus on the financial side of it.

I am told that there is a college student lifestyle based on "living it up" on financial aid. Students get as much aid as they can, take minimum courseloads, drop classes they could have completed . . . "Every student takes out extra for living expenses." Not saying that is the case here, though -- just don't know.

The 2.0 GPA should have also raised some flags. "Dillon lost her eligibility for government aid because her grade point average fell below a 2.0." Seems like if one is not able to swing at least a 2.0 something is fundamentally wrong with the plan. If she was not doing well academically, maybe that should have been addressed.

The other half of the glass is full: She did finish school, and she is working.

But the debt . . .
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
The other half of the glass is full: She did finish school, and she is working.

But the debt . . .
She is working 25-30 hours a week, according to the article. She probably wants to be with her baby as much as possible, and I don't blame her if that is the case, but it is hard to find a part time job these days that pays more per hour than hers. Being a single Mom is tough and I imagine that will probably help her to grow up fast.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I teach college students (for 5 more months) and I can assure you that the typical student on financial aid is very aware of their debt. Most work hard to keep it down. I do think, however, that the current generation of college students would serve themselves well by cutting down on the luxury items in their budget. Many students have jobs and could work significantly less if they reduced expenditures of cars, entertainment, and clothes. Being a full-time student and doing it right should be a full-time occupation; they should be focusing on their education and not on a job if at all possible.

On the other hand, there are always some students that are amazingly irresponsible and clueless. I see them every semester. This one didn't even file a FAFSA form for the first three years of college but did manage to fail at least 1/3 of her classes and reproduce.

Not everyone is college material...
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
m told that there is a college student lifestyle based on "living it up" on financial aid. Students get as much aid as they can, take minimum courseloads, drop classes they could have completed . . . "Every student takes out extra for living expenses." Not saying that is the case here, though -- just don't know.

. . .

I have seen this first hand . My SO's son and his wife lived great on Student loans . He finally graduated but she still does not have her degree and they have a three year old and massive debt . These kids think they know better and just keep piling on the student loans and it is a shock when they have to repay them .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Some families don't do a good job of guiding their kids. My BIL wouldn't fill out a FAFSA for my neice. She was very good student, in a fairly practical field but she is stuck with some pretty steep private loans. Fortunately nothing like this unfortunate woman.

BIL is otherwise a very sensible person, but he believes that 18 year olds should take care of their own lives.

In retrospect she probably should have spent a year working to achieve emancipated status and go it alone.

Ha
Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Student loans puts college graduate into deep financial hole

Summary of Story:

The anti-FIRE.
I think I saw her story on TV. The baby was the result of rape. She decided to keep the baby. I think when you lend people money for education you should first educate them on the financial realities of life.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think when you lend people money for education you should first educate them on the financial realities of life.
I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one. It should be a crime to lend such a huge amount of money to the 20 year-old's in my opinion. I'm pretty sure most of them have no idea what they are getting into.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Some families don't do a good job of guiding their kids. My BIL wouldn't fill out a FAFSA for my neice. She was very good student, in a fairly practical field but she is stuck with some pretty steep private loans. Fortunately nothing like this unfortunate woman.

BIL is otherwise a very sensible person, but he believes that 18 year olds should take care of their own lives.

In retrospect she probably should have spent a year working to achieve emancipated status and go it alone.

Ha
Hmm... I'm confused. Are you the same haha who said

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Aren't you kind of overcommitted here? This is America, he is your nephew.

Are you going to be paying for his education?

Ha
just a few days ago in the Psychology degree thread?

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #12

At age 26, she does have time to climb out of that hole provided she or her child does not get sick. Few make careers out of bowling alley jobs and eventually something better will come her way. If she's looking and ready for it.

At age 22 I was working as a heating & A/C technician and I knew guys who planned to do that the rest of their lives. But I was not one of them.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #13

She should join the military. Get the loans paid off, and take advantage of the single parent programs available. With a degree she could become an officer.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Not everyone is college material...
From the article:

"University records show she failed to complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on time for the first three years she attended Robert Morris, starting in fall 2005. That meant she didn't qualify for federal student aid and state grant money through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency."

I think she is a candidate for a "Darwin Award".
Old 07-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
From the article:

"University records show she failed to complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on time for the first three years she attended Robert Morris, starting in fall 2005. That meant she didn't qualify for federal student aid and state grant money through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency."

I think she is a candidate for a "Darwin Award".
Agreed. We spend so much money on education and they are always saying they need more, only to produce this kind of result. My Grandfather would have run rings around most college graduates today and he only went through 9th grade.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #16

That she got a degree is astounding and proves several things:
1. Education is a business and only wants the body count and $
2. You can provide counseling but some are not intelligent enough to understand
3. A degree means nothing if you are this dumb
4. Minimum admissions standards need to be raised at institutions of higher learning
5. Lots of fools tell sob stories to the press, how embarassing
6. She graduated with a 2.0 GPA and is breeding! You want to bet we will be subsidizing another college grad?
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Agreed. We spend so much money on education and they are always saying they need more, only to produce this kind of result. My Grandfather would have run rings around most college graduates today and he only went through 9th grade.
I don't see it that way.

1) This particular case is not the norm, or at least it's not in the majority. Most people do benefit from higher education.

2) Your grandfather would have done even a lot better had he finished school, in my opinion.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
2) Your grandfather would have done even a lot better had he finished school, in my opinion.
I don't think he claimed otherwise. As I read it, what he was saying is that a 9th grade education used to be more "educated" than it would be today. You may or may not agree, but the point is that I don't think he was insinuating that his grandpa wouldn't have been better off going beyond 9th grade.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

to go further off topic - I have seen the entrance exam for Hunter Normal School - This was when it was the girl's teacher training school (not college) in NYC in the late 1800's.

They were giving the test to bright eighth graders.

I would have to go review for that test, and they assumed an entire body of knowledge I just don't have.

The exit exam was also quite impressive, including 4 years of Latin & Greek.

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't think he claimed otherwise. As I read it, what he was saying is that a 9th grade education used to be more "educated" than it would be today. You may or may not agree, but the point is that I don't think he was insinuating that his grandpa wouldn't have been better off going beyond 9th grade.
Agreed. That's exactly what I meant.