Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Often Do People Trade In Their Cars For a Newer Model?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Ford, Volvo, Buick, Olds, Chrysler, Merkur, Pontiac, BMW so 8 cars in 40 years.

BMW has 105000 km on it and is a 95 Cabriolet. Uses premium gas but is a 5-speed 4cyl. Probably will keep it until it starts to need excessive maintenance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just can't seem to part with them. Have owned 8 cars in the 41 years we've been married. Still have three of them.

1984 Peugeot 505 STi -- 185K miles -- bought new 23 years ago
1988 Toyota Camry Wagon -- 160k miles -- bought new 19 years ago
1989 BMW 750iL -- 125K miles -- bought used 15 years ago

Camry is being detailed at the moment -- will look new all over again! Gets about 40mpg on the (flat) highway at 70mph. Good for carrying the dogs.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had a 1992 Nissan sentra that my wife had during college. Kept it for a total of 10 years till it caught on fire. I really liked that car with it's go-cart-like handling and 35+ mpg and it was PAID OFF. Oh well, after that we bought a new Altima in 2002 with the $500 trade in from the Sentra. Still have the Altima as we paid it off and shipped it with our household goods to Panama. We also had 2 Ford Expeditions both of which we kept for a total of 7 years. That was due to us moving to Panama and not needing two vehicles here. Our goal is to keep them till they die and catch on fire.
BTW- People would always tease me for driving that Sentra to work even though my wife and I made good money. We got the last laugh as most of them are still working paying those bills.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

I still got my 1993 plymouth acclaim ... relatively trouble free ... 140,000 kms or 87,000 miles. Only reason it is still roadworthy is the annual rustproofing I put it through. When one has a 4 or 5 month winter to contend with, with tons of salt spread on the highways, it is the only way of keeping it that long.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Years doesn't mean much to me when it comes to my cars. I put more mileage on my cars in a year than some people do in a decade.
Funny, I was looking at it from the opposite perspective.

Mileage is irrelevant when you only drive 3K-5K/year. Components don't "wear" out from the accumulated abrasion of friction. They corrode or embrittle or, in the case of a plastic dashboard, putrify.

Or some electronic component encounters the inevitable quantum tunneling leading to a prompt-jump current increase followed shortly by combustion...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Or some electronic component encounters the inevitable quantum tunneling leading to a prompt-jump current increase followed shortly by combustion...
Argh Nords.. you've come close to hitting the nail on the head with my poor Saab. Has been driven hardly at all lately and as a result the (brand new last fall after similar problems) battery keeps dying. Either they have very crappy batteries here or there is something that is sucking current.

After yesterday's jump and an hour of driving around OK, this morning it wouldn't start. Dead dead dead to the ground.

'93 and doesn't even have 50k miles on it. Alternator was re-habbed a few years back (driving along and vroooooaaaaahhh.. kept pushing the pedal and going slooower, slooooooooowwwwerrrrrrrr, stuck).

What to do? It seems a crime to "throw away" so many potentially working parts.. but..
some rust underneath, general creakiness, headliner starting to obscure the rear window.
Had a hole in the cooling system that got fixed along with the battery last fall.

Even if I drive it rarely, I need for it to start on demand and keep going. As of today it's stuck in the driveway. No combustion of any kind, expected or unexpected.
[Unexpected combustion could be kinda cool if you're not IN the car. At least then I could sign its death warrant with a clear conscience.]
Old 05-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
Argh Nords.. you've come close to hitting the nail on the head with my poor Saab. Has been driven hardly at all lately and as a result the (brand new last fall after similar problems) battery keeps dying. Either they have very crappy batteries here or there is something that is sucking current.
The bad news is that you know it's a current-sucker.

The worse news is that it might also be a bad alternator.

The potentially good news is that if you kick a Saab in enough places, the grounded wire will eventually unground itself and the car will miraculously return to life. Until the wire grounds out again...

I bet every Saab mechanic knows how to disconnect the electrical cabling to the car doors to check for grounds.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I bet every Saab mechanic knows how to disconnect the electrical cabling to the car doors to check for grounds.
My friend said that Saab translated to difficult in Moroccan dialect. You make it sound like this is true.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Funny, I was looking at it from the opposite perspective.

Mileage is irrelevant when you only drive 3K-5K/year. Components don't "wear" out from the accumulated abrasion of friction. They corrode or embrittle or, in the case of a plastic dashboard, putrify.

Yeah, I've seen that too. The first time I ever shopped for a car I almost bought a 15 year old car with ~3000 miles on it. When I first heard about it, I thought I was lucky. When I first saw it, I thought I was very lucky. The lady who owned it kept it in a garage with a cover over it and only drove it a few blocks about once a week. She had stopped driving it entirely several years earlier.

Then I drove the thing out of the garage and crawled under and around it. It was a mess. It leaked everything from everywhere.

But that's not the way I drive my cars. I drive all over North America. I travel about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. Mileage is more closely related to the auto end-of-life event I face. I guess I'm surprised that more people on this board seem to think of auto replacement in terms of years than think in terms of miles. I guess we just have a lot of green posters.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #50

We traded the wife's 1990 Honda Accord (which she bought new) for a 2007 Toyota Camry. That's 16+ years. I doubt we'll wait that long to buy again but for sure will keep the Camry at least 10 yrs. On the other hand, I'll be getting a new truck in about 2-3 years . Then, I'll drive it a looooong time.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #51

Probably too often, but I don't care

I've had my license for 14 years and in that time I've owned lets see, 8 cars. My current daily driver BMW 3 series is a lease I negotiated from my employer as a bene. I will have it for a little more than 2 years. My last car (infiniti G35) I sold at 2 years old with about 30k on the odo. My toy car I bought used but I will keep it forever.

Thankfully my wife drives a 7 year old Honda and says she NEVER wants to get rid of it.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wifes got the 2002 SUV about 65,000 miles, we will keep it atleast 5 more years.

Mine is a 1994 Nissan 170,000 miles also makes a nice discussion point at work and with some neighbors, but hey it's always entertaining. I don't know maybe another year or whenever I feel like I have "extra money" to write a check for the next one. Car payments are are not going to happen.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

When the wheels fall off!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #54

My last two cars were Toyota with about 180K miles, driven over 10 years before buying another pre-owned Toyota with about 30K miles.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

We generally keep our vehicles upward of 10 years unless they start to become a financial drain because of nagging and repetitive visits to the shop for what I consider to be major repairs. I'm a stickler when it comes to maintaining the cars and I get very impatient with one when all of that maintenance fails to extend its useful life. I figure that the money I've spent on scheduled maintenance should buy me lots of years without major repairs, and if that doesn't happen we get rid of the car.

Right now my wife is driving a 6-year-old Acura with 55,000 miles on it and I drive a Honda Accord with 36,000 miles on it, so we should be good for at least a few more years. The Acura has been such a great car that we may actually keep it on the next go round and trade in the newer Honda instead. We buy our cars new and I don't mind doing that because of how long we end up keeping them.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouston
We buy our cars new and I don't mind doing that because of how long we end up keeping them.
First time around I followed my parent's "buy 'em brand new and drive 'em into the dust" school of thought. When it comes time to replace my car, i think I may go for the "buy slightly used and drive 'em into the dust" strategy my in-laws use. let some other schmuck take the depreciation hit.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian
First time around I followed my parent's "buy 'em brand new and drive 'em into the dust" school of thought. When it comes time to replace my car, i think I may go for the "buy slightly used and drive 'em into the dust" strategy my in-laws use. let some other schmuck take the depreciation hit.
I hear you OKLibrarian, and my mind agrees with you...but it boils down to the fact that I don't mind paying a bit extra for the fun and extra peace of mind that comes (for me, at least) with knowing that I'm the first owner of the car. I know, though, that from a purely economic standpoint the numbers don't agree with me.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Probably too often, but I don't care

I've had my license for 14 years and in that time I've owned lets see, 8 cars. My current daily driver BMW 3 series is a lease I negotiated from my employer as a bene. I will have it for a little more than 2 years. My last car (infiniti G35) I sold at 2 years old with about 30k on the odo. My toy car I bought used but I will keep it forever.

Thankfully my wife drives a 7 year old Honda and says she NEVER wants to get rid of it.

Let's see... I have been driving for 32 years and have owned 7 cars... and two of them are sitting in my garage right now..

Of the 7, 3 were bought used.. my first car only lasted one year.. so you could say 6 in 31 years..
Old 05-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Age 21 to 56 (now)

5 vehicles (one a two-year lease, one a 2 year inherited 15 year old)
Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

First couple of cars lasted about 4 years each because of constant repairs. Bought a Corolla, which I gave to my DM four years later ... she drove it another 10 years. After she died, I sold it, no clue if it's still going. My current car is going on 10 years, the one previous to that was traded in at eight.