Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Often Do People Trade In Their Cars For a Newer Model?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my previous car was an 89 volvo wagon ... 13 yrs, 267,000 (or thereabouts) ... got my money's worth!
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #62

Over >35 years, I never got rid of a daily-driver car because of age or mileage. Let's see, why did I get rid of them, these reasons come to mind:

Rust-through - At least 3
Outgrew them - 2
Accident related - 2
Gifted - 2

Can't divide anything out due to number of drivers increasing over the years, and still have a bunch.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #63

My last three cars were kept from between 8-10 years. Bought them new and bought them for cash (that gets harder to do each time). Probably will sell my Acura TL (1999) next year and will have about 65,000-68,000 miles on it by then.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

On the other hand, DW gets a company car which is usually traded in every 70K or so. However, the last minivan got exchanged at a mere $4K. Fleet services had put cheap seats in to save a few bucks and they were starting to get hit with Worker's Comp cases.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #65

I have a '97 Taurus wagon that I bought 4 years ago to use as a station car. I am buying my BIL's '97 Windstar company car for $1300 which is in primo condition and giving the wagon to my son.

Our other car is a 2000 Camry which we will drive into the round before buying another one
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I guess I am getting the impression that the common element from most participants here is that we are "buy and hold" types when it comes to cars. That should come as no surprise.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #67
Administrator

Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #68

The BMW will cost a lot more to maintain than the Honda, but it is a fun car to drive. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

for the 1st 4 years bmw cost nothing to maintain if its a new one . even the windshield wipers are free. when i was deciding between getting another nissan xterra or the bmw x3 the x3 won hands down being the far better value.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Gumby....

You drove over 200K miles in 8 years!!! WOW...

As for your BMWs, good luck... they are notorious for being in the shop after a few years... not well built at all....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

As for your BMWs, good luck... they are notorious for being in the shop after a few years... not well built at all....
It just depends on what your definition of "well built" is. If by that you mean a boring transportation appliance that will require little repair (like a Toyota) then no they are not. However they are just terrific to drive and to me that's worth a couple extra visits to the shop every once in a while.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #72

It just depends on what your definition of "well built" is. If by that you mean a boring transportation appliance that will require little repair (like a Toyota) then no they are not. However they are just terrific to drive and to me that's worth a couple extra visits to the shop every once in a while.

Well built means just that...it's well-built. If it's terrific to drive it may be a great handler or a strong performer or whatever, but if it's constantly going into the shop for repairs, then "well built" is not an adjective to describe it!

Maybe "eccentric"? Isn't that what you call a Jag, Benz, BMW, etc, when it starts breaking down? Versus simply "unreliable" when it happens to a more everyday car?
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #73
Administrator

Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969

Well built means just that...it's well-built. If it's terrific to drive it may be a great handler or a strong performer or whatever, but if it's constantly going into the shop for repairs, then "well built" is not an adjective to describe it!

Maybe "eccentric"? Isn't that what you call a Jag, Benz, BMW, etc, when it starts breaking down? Versus simply "unreliable" when it happens to a more everyday car?
I don't know? In my family we have had a long line of MBs and BMWs without any major technical issues.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

reliability rating for my 3-series:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...ries&trimid=-1

Now if you are talking 7-series, well that is a different beast.

- John
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman
reliability rating for my 3-series:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...ries&trimid=-1

Now if you are talking 7-series, well that is a different beast.

- John
The 3 series are fine. I good friend of mine bought the 745i when it came out. It had the pushbutton start and all sorts of gizmos. The 1st year, it was in the shop for FOUR MONTHS. BMW ended up giving him a year newer one with the same lease terms, so he made out ok............

I think Mercedes is lesser quality than BMW. I would take a Lexus or Acura ANY DAY over any other import. I am NOT a fan of Infiniti............ :P :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
I don't know? In my family we have had a long line of MBs and BMWs without any major technical issues.

I compare to the consumers reports... after 3 or 4 years they start going bad quickly... I know of a guy who only buys MBs and BMWs (almost forgot Audis).. and he only has them when under warranty...

As for the thrill of driving... I will give you that... I had a Formula 350 for many years... it was a blast to drive even thought it would have one major repair every two years.. and a few minor ones in between...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

The german cars had great reliability records until about 4-5 years ago. Then they all cut their QA programs feeling that the quality was "baked in" to the people and processes they had developed.

Since their collective reliability records now sit in a lump at the very bottom of the reliability ratings charts, I guess that wasnt the case.

As far as lots of mileage per year...in one job my sales territory was all of new england, upstate new york, and canada. I flew to buffalo and everywhere in canada, but drove everywhere else. 40-50k a year was pretty standard.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
The german cars had great reliability records until about 4-5 years ago. Then they all cut their QA programs feeling that the quality was "baked in" to the people and processes they had developed.
Kind of like "burn-in" on a 2-3 year old plasma screen tv?

Quote:
40-50k a year was pretty standard.
How much did you have to pay the limo driver??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

My regular commuter cars are driven right into the ground. Problem is, in Massachusetts I'm in the middle of the rust belt so it's usually rust that makes me get rid of em'. I had an 87 Toyota xtracab 4x4 that made almost 200k miles in 13 years, but I had to weld the frame on it twice it rusted so bad, never mind the bed....

So for my take on how long I keep a car, it completely depends on when the frame (or unibody) gets so bad that it will likely fall in half....lol...I couldn't care less about age or mileage. If it wasn't for the rust thru that we have here in Mass, I'd probably still have my first car. Fixing them is my hobby anyway....
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote