Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How often do you...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very rarely, or rather randomly, do I check my accounts @ Vanguard. I'm not planning on redoing my AA; not planning on taking a distribution at any time in the immediate future. I pretty much know that my AA is not going to allow any large change in the value of my accounts at any one time. A boring, index laden Vanguard account does not beckon me to view it on a regular basis.

I am bit surprised at all of the responses that indicate regular repeated checking of these accounts. I guess we all have different perspectives on this issue. I find that very interesting.

A Q for you guys that often check your accounts: What are you looking for or do you just like to see your assets increase or occasionally decrease? Isn't this like watching someone sleep? Breathe in, breathe out...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave
...I am trying to gather data on my total portfolio's correlation with major US market indices...
Why not just calculate your own WAB (weighted average beta)?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Check daily using Money software. It's easy and I get a good feeling no matter what. If the market's high, portfolio value feels good; if the market is down I figure I'm buying on sale. Oh yeah and I'm a little bit compulsive about money!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd

A Q for you guys that often check your accounts: What are you looking for or do you just like to see your assets increase or occasionally decrease? Isn't this like watching someone sleep? Breathe in, breathe out...

Just bored and it only takes a few minutes..... sometimes I am surprised what it has done since the last time...

Also, why do you check anything you do not plan on doing something with IE, how often do you check the air pressure in your tires? It rarely goes down, but it is recommended once a week...
Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
, how often do you check the air pressure in your tires?
Wow, that really drives home the point Texas Proud. I must admit, I probably check my tires less often than I do my accounts. Thanks for reminding me, I'll check my tires later on today.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud

Just bored and it only takes a few minutes..... sometimes I am surprised what it has done since the last time...

Also, why do you check anything you do not plan on doing something with IE, how often do you check the air pressure in your tires? It rarely goes down, but it is recommended once a week...
There is a difference. I drive my car every day. I don't need money from my portfolio for quite a while.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I check stocks daily and mutual funds at least 2 times per month, more if there have been large market shifts or activity on my part.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #28

I glance at Vanguard 2 or 3 times a week, once a month I update it with the new postings into our 401(k) funds and DW's Fidelity IRA's, and I re-balance if needed twice a year.

I also monitor and update an online fitness log every day, watch Sky Sports News most days, check the car's tires and fluids every month, and I checked on the Turducken in the oven on Xmas day FAR more often than necessary ...

Just a creature of habit, but as long as I stick with re-balancing twice a year I don't think I'm doing any harm.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

I track seven portfolios daily. My "real" portfolio, and six hypothetical portfolios that each have a slightly different mix of US, INTL and bond funds in them. Monitoring these against world events, market fluctuations, commodity fluctuations, etc helps me to compare volatility versus long term gains in each, compared against such benchmarks as S&P 500, Wilshire 5000, Vanguard total market, etc.

If, over a one-year period, I can determine that an adjustment to the mix would either produce a less volatile mix or a more profitable mix without increased volatility, than I'll adjust my "real" portfolio at year end to more closely mimic that desired result.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Why not just calculate your own WAB (weighted average beta)?
There's several funds in my Megacorp 401K that don't have regular ticker symbols - so I don't have betas.

I think I can also get a weighted average beta from M* with X-Ray.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #31

mickeyd writes:

I guess it all depends who you're watching while they're sleeping. The right person breathing in, breathing out...well, that's a story for another time. I usually check my portfolios 2x's a day--before I leave for work and after I come home. I do it because I like to do it. I find that if I hear the market has gone up a whole bunch, I look forward to seeing how well I've done. If it's gone down a whole bunch...well, sometimes I don't look at all.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #32

I forgot I'm on the investment committee that manages our company's pension plan investments - so I keep up with market activity daily to stay in touch. We meet roughly monthly and I have to know what is happening.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:02 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

A few more thoughts:

An action-adventure author used to write: "If you're going to kill them then you'd damn well better be able to stand there and look at them." I feel the same way about investing, especially noting my feelings during a prolonged bear market. It's how you learn about your risk tolerance & investor psychology. Someone has to look at those things-- and if it can't be you then you might need to be in Treasuries & CDs.

Of course it's not so essential to share those daily feelings with one's spouse, but it's taken me a couple decades to realize that.

I don't know about you guys, but I visually check the car's tire pressure every time I'm in the garage. (I've finally managed to slack off to twice a year for the spares.) I constantly listen to everything around me and I hear or smell mechanical/electrical problems long before anyone else. I'm always looking at things and wondering how they're running or what's wrong with them. I can't walk by running equipment without hand-checking its temperature. I even watch toilets flush and sinks drain as a status check. Maybe it's too many years of submarine watchstanding but I just can't turn it off... isn't everyone like that?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I don't know about you guys, but I visually check the car's tire pressure every time I'm in the garage. (I've finally managed to slack off to twice a year for the spares.) I constantly listen to everything around me and I hear or smell mechanical/electrical problems long before anyone else. I'm always looking at things and wondering how they're running or what's wrong with them. I can't walk by running equipment without hand-checking its temperature. I even watch toilets flush and sinks drain as a status check. Maybe it's too many years of submarine watchstanding but I just can't turn it off... isn't everyone like that?!?
Only since that little man started following me everywhere I go. I know he's out to get me but can't seem to get rid of him.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes... Too many years as a tech...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I check our 401K accounts about once a month.
Broker account get checked one a day.
I'm really just looking for someone stealing from the account or something like that.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #37

When I first retired (6 mo. ago) I checked the portfolio every day - I have it set up for one click and full info pops up - less two funds that do not have
"ticker" symbols
Now I check it 2x per week on average - - and only discuss the activity with the DW if the info is very positive

I also check tires visually and look for any liquid under all our vechicles - and others......
Old 12-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Since we have automatic read out on our tire pressures - both in the motorhome and car (and both when towing the car) we do pretty much check it every day!

I just always felt it was important to be able to know within a day the market value of all my assets. That doesn't mean I take action (I rarely do). I just want the data and the history and it's so easy to pull the info into Quicken that I do it daily out of habit.

When you've looked at daily data over many years you become inured to daily fluctuations - even to market corrections!

I also check bank account and credit card transactions every few days - a little more work, but worth the vigilance.

Audrey

P.S. I remember once upon a time it was a little freaky to see daily changes in net worth equal to what used to be my annual salary early in my career, but you even get over that in time.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
Now I check it 2x per week on average - - and only discuss the activity with the DW if the info is very positive
Ha - me too. She doesn't want to hear the bad stuff. But she didn't get excited when we went into free fall after 2000 - she couldn't avoid hearing about that.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 AM   #40

I typically update Quicken each evening to capture equity prices. At the minimum, I update at the end of each week. I usually am checking bank accounts every few days anyway and it is easy to simply click the Update icon at the same time.