Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How often do you...
Old 12-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

[while raising hand] "Hi, I am DRiP Guy, and I have a problem..."

I check at least once a day lately, and have done so for the last couple of years.

I also checked frequently when I first started investing in the early 90's.

However, after the bear started in earnest in 2000/2001, I did not check at all for months at a time for a couple of years. I chuckle when I look at my homemade spreadsheet, you can see the chunky granularity in the update rate during that time. To my credit, however, I did stay the course, continue to DCA and not sell or move anything. It was good experience.

When I used to be a roller coaster guy, I would look at them going uphill, but close my eyes at the top and going down. However, I would take the challenge to ride every one that they could put in front of me, no matter how scary.

I wonder if we could predict our investing style based on our RCWM (Roller Coaster Willingness Model):

1. Will you ride a coaster at all, Yes/No?
2. Will you ride ALL coasters, no matter how scary? Yes/No?
3. Assuming one of the first two was a yes, will you watch All of the ride, Yes/No?
4. Assuming one of the first two was a yes, will you watch some of the ride, Yes/No?
5. Assuming one of the first two was a yes, will you at some point in the ride, experience a total freak out and scream that they need to stop this $%@#*&$ before you kill some ^%@#$%&*!!!!
6. Did you answer No to the first question, but still insist on hanging around near the coaster, telling others how they ought to ride?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:05 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
A few more thoughts:

Of course it's not so essential to share those daily feelings with one's spouse, but it's taken me a couple decades to realize that.
Now there's a good point. I check my (our) stuff at least every day. Unfortunately, I'm too vocal about the ups and downs. DW thinks I'm nuts, but she does enjoy the money!

One other thing...Before we were into fixed income-type investments, I'd check stuff several times a day when it was going up and once a week or less when it was down. Unless I was trading, all I knew was that it was "less than it was yesterday" and I'd bury my head in the sand. What a plan, huh?

Old 12-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Inspired by Nords, one of the things we have worked at to enjoy retirement is reducing the number of random inputs that are not positive. For example, we do not watch any of the Bush (pre-election, state-of-the-nation, war-in-Iraq, ?) TV speeches. We seldom read newspapers.

In spite of that, we seem to stay informed.

I do not check tire pressure until I feel something wrong while driving.

We try to limit our Domain of Concern to our Domain of Influence. That seems to create more consistent happiness for us.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan

We try to limit our Domain of Concern to our Domain of Influence. That seems to create more consistent happiness for us.
Hmmm... I agree with you philosophically, and appreciate the input -- I do need to learn to tune out the excessive inputs, myself.

But on the tire pressure thing specifically, unless you have run flats with a warning system like my vette, I would suggest that you do check your pressures once a month or so. Nothing to get worked up over, but I see underinflated tires on cars around me as I drive, pretty much every day (and not just 'radial bulge - talking near flat).
Old 12-31-2006, 04:14 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
I wonder if we could predict our investing style based on our RCWM (Roller Coaster Willingness Model):
1. Will you ride a coaster at all, Yes/No?
2. Will you ride ALL coasters, no matter how scary? Yes/No?
3. Assuming one of the first two was a yes, will you watch All of the ride, Yes/No?
4. Assuming one of the first two was a yes, will you watch some of the ride, Yes/No?
5. Assuming one of the first two was a yes, will you at some point in the ride, experience a total freak out and scream that they need to stop this $%@#*&$ before you kill some ^%@#$%&*!!!!
6. Did you answer No to the first question, but still insist on hanging around near the coaster, telling others how they ought to ride?
I'm married to a roller-coaster freak who would add:
7. How many times will you exit the ride and squeal "Again!!"?

I gazed from afar as she did 10 consecutive rides on Disney's "Tower of Terror". They started each ride with their hands in the air and their feet off the ground. At the eighth ride there were reports of experimenting with Newton's laws of motion by observing the behavior of coins placed on laps. I thought a more appropriate experiment would be Russian Roulette...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
Too late!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:14 AM   #46

Quote:
True; I had forgotten the oddly addictive nature of sheer terror! In my younger days, when there was a new coaster (esp the 'stand-up' or 'hanging' type), we would often ride back to back, if they would let us, for several times.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #47

Quote:

I gazed from afar as she did 10 consecutive rides on Disney's "Tower of Terror". They started each ride with their hands in the air and their feet off the ground. At the eighth ride there were reports of experimenting with Newton's laws of motion by observing the behavior of coins placed on laps. I thought a more appropriate experiment would be Russian Roulette...
Too late!
Has she tried "X" at Magic Mountain? It's absolutely the best coaster I've ever ridden. Here's a review: http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com...ers/reviews/x/

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A few more thoughts:

I don't know about you guys, but I visually check the car's tire pressure every time I'm in the garage. (I've finally managed to slack off to twice a year for the spares.) I constantly listen to everything around me and I hear or smell mechanical/electrical problems long before anyone else. I'm always looking at things and wondering how they're running or what's wrong with them. I can't walk by running equipment without hand-checking its temperature. I even watch toilets flush and sinks drain as a status check. Maybe it's too many years of submarine watchstanding but I just can't turn it off... isn't everyone like that?!?
No, everyone is not like that,.......... and many that are won't admit to it.
In fact, most that are not that way believe our this behaviour is not a good thing.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:18 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I ah er - had a bad habit of measuring the leak decay rate of a tire on my pickup over a period of time and pontificating whether it was correlated to summer or winter - when a certain female - 'quit screwing around measuring and go to Direct Tire - it will take em about 40 minutes to fix the fricking thing.' I showed her - it took 36.758 minutes.

heh heh heh heh
Old 12-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
In my younger days, when there was a new coaster (esp the 'stand-up' or 'hanging' type) ...
in my younger days, before there were any but rickety wooden coasters, i once did 50 consecutive rides. still "lust in my heart" ... but would likely pass today. that said, i keep my eye on the market throughout most days, and check my portfolio at least once a week.(no doubt the market has, on occasion, provided a more healthy (?) substitute for the roller-coaster.)
Quote:
I'm always looking at things and wondering how they're running or what's wrong with them. I can't walk by running equipment without hand-checking its temperature. I even watch toilets flush and sinks drain as a status check.
this seems like perfectly normal behaviour ... and i'm not an engineer.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:14 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Has she tried "X" at Magic Mountain? It's absolutely the best coaster I've ever ridden.
I'll have to send her there sometime!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I have a rule at age 52: the ass should never be higher than the head...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
I have a rule at age 52: the ass should never be higher than the head...
I'm not even gonna touch that (so to speak), but I'm sure there are others with less-stringent criteria...

Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Undoubtedly...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote