Join Early Retirement Today

How often do you...
Old 12-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How often do you...

... check how your retirement accounts are doing? Does the frequency change relative to which direction the market is going?

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How often do you...
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe every 6 to 8 weeks...sometimes less. It's there for the longhaul, and I'd rather not see the day-to-day fluctuations. 8)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Usually I check the Vanguard part a few times a week....

No, but it does if the point move is bigger....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Every day.

But I rarely change anything.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #5

I look at and record progress in all my accounts, including retirement accounts, once a month.

In the accumulation phase, I want to make sure things are progressing as planned or better.

So far so good, but if spot a trend I don't like over a series of months, I do something to correct it.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have Fidelity Full View I check the balances on most of my assets (sans private LLC investments) and liabilities (sans mortgage) daily with one fell swoop. One reason for this is to keep an eye out for any potential identity theft -- so I can see all new transactions each day.

I don't freak out if I see significant dips in my accounts since I am comfortable taking on more risk, I also accept with that comes more volatility. However, considering my YTD rate of return is 23% on my 401k, I'm not terribly concerned.

I also don't make significant changes to my asset allocation very often. Even though I watch regularly, I'm much more of a wait-and-see kind of investor. Generally speaking, I figure if I took the time to research my investments to start with, then I should have some faith and let it ride.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost every day for me since most of them are stocks. I should try to cut back to once a week, since I don't trade very often, but it's always just one click away.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #8

Every day. I use the facility of Fidelity Full View to gather all my/DW's retirement investment accounts from four different firms (nine accounts). This, in turn, is used to load the Fidelity Retirement Income Planner tool automatically and provide me with a 32-page "retirement plan" (no - it's viewed on line!)

I'm a bit "anal" on this at this time of life. In my "many years away from retirement" phase, I'd be satisified for the quarterly statements (no such thing as "on line" availability back in those days!)

With my retirement financial plan becoming effective next Wednesday (but I'm not leaving w*ork till the spring - May 1st) and doing some last minute "adjustments" (related to a variable annuity purchase and post tax distributions in May) I want to keep a "closer watch".

Anyway, with only four months to go at w*ork, I find this much more interesting ...

I very much doubt if I will follow this "pattern" after mid-'07. By that time, my long-term plan will be "in action" and I will not be "shuffling the deck" in preperation for retirement, as I am doing now.

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #9

Probably a couple of times a month on average. More often when things are going well; I hate to check when things are not going well.

Coach
Old 12-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I know some people say you should not look at it very often to keep you from making a hasty sell decision. But I review it everyday just to make there has not been a security breach that has emptied my account. I know Fidelity and others have good security but I think it is wise to keep an eye on it.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I download prices daily into Quicken because it's just so easy to do!

But I only evaluate my portfolio once a quarter - mainly to look at my allocation and whether rebalancing is needed. I take action only once a year or less.

Audrey
Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto Dog52. I check Vanguard and bank every day. Although I'm aware of portfolio changes I try hard to stick to my ISP on making changes no more than twice a year. Having had my debit card used fraudulently, I like to be on the look out for any spurious activity.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

same here i look every day. i have caught bank atm errors and credit card fraud early on looking daily
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #14

At least once per day. I track all accounts through Yahoo and update manually when needed. During the 2000-2002 bear market, I rarely checked my portfolio totals, however I was also in school and not buying more investments at the time either. It is more fun to watch a general up trend than to check on down days/trends.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Trading acount every couple of days
Total position once a month
Investment decisions once or twice a year - November & April

(I thought from the title it was going to be a different question in which case the answer is in frequently )
Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #16

Once a month maybe. Usually I take whatever is left over in my checking account at the end of the month and dump it into one of my funds. I use that as a time to check my positions.

I'm not a short term investor so why should I care about the daily fluctuations?

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
I'm not a short term investor so why should I care about the daily fluctuations?
Some folks check out yesterday's scores on basketball, football, etc. Some read the daily hollywood gossip rag. I happen to like checking the stats on my portfolio. Not that it will change much of what I am doing...
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Some folks check out yesterday's scores on basketball, football, etc. Some read the daily hollywood gossip rag. I happen to like checking the stats on my portfolio. Not that it will change much of what I am doing...
I'm not saying that others shouldn't. It's just that it is human nature to want to change things based on short term emotions. I know that if I look at it every day, eventually I might be tempted to make changes based on emotion instead of fact.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I check nearly every day.

Often I record my portfolio's change for the day and also the change for the day in the major US indices (Dow, SP500, etc).

I am trying to gather data on my total portfolio's correlation with major US market indices.

Last pile of years I've been broadly diversifying across capitalization size, currencies, countries, and asset classes.

So when I hear "Dow up 75" - my overall portfolio doesn't move in "lockstep" in direction and magnitude like it used to (which is my intention, and good, I think.....).

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year ! (I think I can say "Happy New Year" and be politically correct. Just in case - I hope I didn't offend anyone who doesn't recognize the new year....)

Delawaredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave
(which is my intention, and good, I think.....).
By George, I think he's got it!!!
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote