Join Early Retirement Today

How often do you calculate your net worth?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How often do you calculate your net worth?

Excluding real estate, how often do you track your net worth? Includes all investments, stocks, funds, bonds, bank accounts, etc. I formally track mine every three months, but I do check on some values more often.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use Quicken to track my investments and download quotes daily. Since Quicken automatically updates my net worth every time I download quotes, it would technically make it daily for me!

On my net worth tracking spreadsheet, however, I calculate my net worth once a month, on the 15th (I have been doing that for almost 12 years now).
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every day for me, too. I have been doing this for over a decade.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

I print my statements monthly and keep them in a three ring binder. The cover sheet is a consolidated worksheet that show net worth.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I visit Mint.com a couple of times a week and it is automatically calculated for me.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #6

If I'm doing everything right, Quicken thinks my net worth is $0. That's because I use a double-entry method that balances all assets with a budget "liability", even if that's just retirement savings. I can generate a net worth report. I usually look at it if I think it might be at a new high or low. Maybe once a year to once a quarter.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Monthly, been doing it for about 20 years. I think it contributed greatly to my ER. I had figured what I needed to retire and calculating in monthly helped keep me on track. Interestingly the amount I ended up with at 55 was within 50K of what I thought I would need when I got there. Maybe I should have shot for higher.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Another Quicken user here... so it updates every time I update quotes.
It's not daily for me because I don't run quicken daily.... life gets in the way (darn J*b and kid$!!!) But I update once a week, typically, when I'm paying bills.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Software, currently quicken, does it automatically.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

I use Fidelity's "full view" once a month but I also use Quicken whenever I update quotes or download transactions.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
gone traveling

I update my net worth spreedsheet on monthly basis. I started doing it about 10 yeras ago. It helped me with my decision to retire earlier this year.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hubby uses wikinvest for most of our data so we can see it whenever, but we save and track the numbers on a monthly basis (15th of each month). It's pretty awesome to see our money grow.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I do it whenever W2R says "Wheee!".

Then I feel good until the market drops again.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #14

I track all my financial accounts in Moneydance, and it always shows a Net Worth figure at the top of the home page.

Beyond that, I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my investments for asset allocation purposes, and that gets updated most weekends but always at the end of each month.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #15

Calculate? Never. Gross estimate? Maybe once a year.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I update a spreadsheet on the last day of the month. It contains only balances. Most of the fund investment data (since1990) comes from Vanguard. After parsing the data into named cells, I get a quick look at how far I am deviating from desired AA.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
gone traveling

Daily, via Yodlee...

Nothing to do, it's all automatic.

BTW, it includes the value of our RE by importing current info from Zillow. While it may not be totally accurate, it's good enough to get an overall "estate" net worth.

As far as only investments? That's tracked via FIDO's FullView product, which is ported directly to their Retirement Income Planner (RIP) forecast tool, and is also run daily (heck, I'm retired - I have the 10 minutes to do it )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

All my bank, investment, and credit card accounts update and post to Quicken and I run a net worth report each quarter or whenever I feel like it.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Excluding real estate, how often do you track your net worth? Includes all investments, stocks, funds, bonds, bank accounts, etc. I formally track mine every three months, but I do check on some values more often.
+1
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

While I monitor my banking and mutual fund investments (taxable and Rollover IRA) every day since I added online access to those accounts in the last few years, I record the actual balances once a month since I ERed. When I was still working, I recorded the actual 401(k) balance once every 3 months when the quarterly statement came out. I get a statement for my Rollover IRA every month now. I use my monthly bank statement to record its balance which is around the 14th of the month.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote