Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

December 31st and June 30th. I suppose I could pretty easily do it more often but I am more interested in the investment income stream number and not so much interested in a net worth number.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #22

Thanks for all the replies so far. A question for the folks who track their net worth daily. How do you avoid getting carried away by the daily fluctuations? You could conceivably gain or lose thousands in a day.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
A question for the folks who track their net worth daily. How do you avoid getting carried away by the daily fluctuations?
Thirty years worth of scar tissue. Daily fluctuations are nothing but background noise.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Calculate? Never. Gross estimate? Maybe once a year.

I am going to do a plus 1/2.... I can not go a +1 since I actually have done a calculation a few times in life...

I rarely calculate my net worth... but I do look at my Vanguard accounts all the time and I have input a number of my other investments... I update them when it feels like they are off...

But, I do not have all of my accounts listed... and I do not have any of my DWs separate property listed...

All I am looking for is a 'feel' of what is happening.... and to make any adjustments if needed....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies so far. A question for the folks who track their net worth daily. How do you avoid getting carried away by the daily fluctuations? You could conceivably gain or lose thousands in a day.
After watching daily fluctuations for a while, you become numb to them.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Closing my eyes to fluctuations doesn't seem like something I'd want to do. That just doesn't mesh with the scientist/engineer part of me. Besides, it's good practice. If I can watch my net worth go down overnight by more than I spend in a year, frequently, and then back up, then when the market plummets as in 2008-2009 I can perhaps watch my net worth go down 10x what I spend in a year with greater equanimity.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I set up a spreadsheet in Excel to consolidate quarterly statements, and while I was at it, realized it was pretty simple to include a column that updates asset prices & net worth every time the workbook is opened.

I try not to look at it daily (cuz the swings can drive you nuts) so I keep up either quarterly or monthly.
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thirty years worth of scar tissue. Daily fluctuations are nothing but background noise.
+1 But the big plus days still put a smile on my face!!
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
So?

I don't make investment decisions on just a day's results (see Day trading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

I also don't worry about gaining a few pounds while on vacation, nor losing a few pounds if I'm ill.

Since you asked...

PS: The only time I get worried is if a certain unnamed poster starts going "Whee!"...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 but the big plus days still put a smile on my face!!
+1000!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #31

Just calculated it and it improved my day. Thanks for the reminder.. ha
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

On the first of every month. I wait for the interest & dividend stats for my funds, CDs & IBonds then I do it.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I usually update my spreadsheet when I have any reason to login to Vanguard, and I don't need much of a reason to login. It usually ranges from a week to a month. If I have time I'll login to my other accounts and update balances, especially if I know there's been a decent change. At least once a year, or if there's been a major change, I'll save a copy so I can compare over time.

I used to do it almost daily when fluctuations when I had stock options through work, because fluctuations were bigger. I guess I just looked at the changes analytically more than emotionally. Maybe a better way to put it is that I viewed it as information, but rarely took action just because it went up or down. Now the fluctuations don't bother me, probably because I'm mostly in indices so there's not much I'd do in response to good or bad news. It helps that I'm still above where I want to be.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #34

Since I use Microsoft Money, a net worth figure is available every time I open the program to enter data. I don't have it check anything on-line so it's accuracy is dependent on when I receive statements and update manually. It's really only completely up to date about once a year (when I update my savings bonds current values) but it's pretty close once a quarter when I receive all my quarterly statements and enter them in (keep in mind that there is about a 3 week lag, which means it is never truly current and I don't care).
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #35
Administrator

I update a spreadsheet at the end of each quarter.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Once a month on the 4th (to be sure that the big 1st of the month bills are out of account to avoid distortions). I tend to eyeball the investments more frequently though.
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #37

I look at it daily but I only "officially" update it quarterly or when there is a one time significant change.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I update my accounts once every month and I look at my net worth (which is calculated automatically by my software) whenever I'm having a "down" day. It always brings me a nice feeling inside to know that in many ways, things aren't as bad as they may seem.

As for the monthly fluctuations in value, well, I can't say I don't feel sad when things go down, but I'm compensated when things go up and as long as there are more "ups" for the year than "downs," I'm content.
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I update a spreadsheet at the end of each quarter.
Psst - Wellesley distribution this week ...
Payday 4 U.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #40

Only once a quarter unless I think I am going to bump up against a re-balance band or if I think I might have unrealized losses I need to book. With the market up so much since '09, the chance of unrealized losses is low right now. I banked a ton of them in '08 and '09 so my basis is low.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote