How often do you mark-to-market?

Maurice

Full time employment: Posting here.
How often do you formally mark your portfolio to market and update all your spreadsheets?

I do it at the end of each month. I enter closing prices of each position, the new # of shares if its a fund that reinvests, new FX rates, and the principal paid on my mortgage. My spreadsheet then calculates my net worth, my actual asset allocation, differences in $ and % between my actual and target allocations, and $ and % gain/loss for the month and for the year.

(By the way, November was a really bad month!)

2-3 times per day. :)

My spreadsheet grabs quotes from yahoo automagically. I only update the bond values when I need an ego boost. :)

Way too much work for me :cool: ...I'm retired, ya know?

Depends on how I want things to look to DW.......

I use Quicken. I generally update security prices at the end of each week with a click on the Update button (an update Friday night or Saturday will capture all 5 previous business days). I prefer not to electronically download data from brokers and banks because I prefer to have the transactions appear as I want them to look. Thus I generally enter transaction activity once a week as well (or when monthly statements are available).

Once year, right before rebalancing. I keep a snapshot of portfolio before and after rebalance.

Usually a couple times a year I'll 'cheat' and quickly total the portfolio, but not really do more than glance at individual asset classes. Takes maybe five minutes.

Of course, I'm still in the accumulation phase.

Once a year, on March 31.

Daily after 6:00pm. Quicken does the download - just one push of a button. Super easy.

Audrey

Last edited:
I track our stock/bond portfolio on a daily basis (Quicken).
I compute our networth once a month (on the 15th) using the most up-to-date asset values I have. I enter the numbers in a spreadsheet holding data going back several years. It calculates my networth, asset allocation and a bunch of other things. It also allows me to track our progress. I also have a plot showing the progression of our NW over the past 6 years.
Usually I mark RE assets to market only once a year on Jan15.

Once a year (Jan 1) I update all portfolio values in a spreadsheet to compare against the plan. I do informally track the values in the yahoo finance portfolio feature and look at it every day or so.

It depends, if the market is up, I update daily. If it is headed down, maybe once a week. Lately, with all the churning, not at all...

Weekly update to spreadsheet.

Save annually to compare year-over-year results.

--Rita

Do you have to have a spreadsheet to give and answer:confused:

If yes, then I don't update as I don't have any spreadsheet...

If no, then once a month I update my Vanguard account with all my other accounts.

Do You Have to Have a Spreadsheet?

Do you have to have a spreadsheet to give and answer:confused:

If yes, then I don't update as I don't have any spreadsheet...

If no, then once a month I update my Vanguard account with all my other accounts.

Actually, you don't. You can register at M* and use their online site to monitor all you investments. It's ALMOST the same thing -- of course you don't get a lot of choice in the columns you can see. But all the pertinent info is there.

-- Rita

I use Quicken. I generally update security prices at the end of each week with a click on the Update button (an update Friday night or Saturday will capture all 5 previous business days). I prefer not to electronically download data from brokers and banks because I prefer to have the transactions appear as I want them to look. Thus I generally enter transaction activity once a week as well (or when monthly statements are available).

Same here. I don't download transactions - I am paranoid about having an application like Quicken or site like Yahoo have account access.

2-3 times per day. :)

My spreadsheet grabs quotes from yahoo automagically. I only update the bond values when I need an ego boost. :)

How do you do that. It might make more sense than Quicken (the way I use Quicken). Care to post a copy?

I use Quicken and I usually update at the end of each day. I used to do it manually and I can tell you that the automatic update is a wonderful thing.

I'm also interested in the auto-download from yahoo into excel.

I find I need to use spreadsheets because the account consolidators have limited flexibility. Its hard to enter FX, private equity, non-marketable (144a) securities, etc.

Also, I like flexibility in my reporting, for example, tracking vested vs. non-vested assets, tying in my mortgage balance, reporting drift from target allocations, etc.

I do occasionally update my spreadsheet intra-month but those values will get written over at the end of the month. I keep one spreadsheet file for each year, with a tab (worksheet) for each month of the year. In the new year, I make a copy and start again.

I use auto-download from msn to OpenOffice spreadsheet, so it is effortless. Check-in frequency depends on how interesting the market is being. Lately that has meant daily.

I do the one button Quicken update once a week. I like the net worth look as the real estate and cash accounts help to buffer the stock market noise. I don't look at the stock individual values unless there is a What?! moment.

I found a simple macro for downloading an array of prices to an Open Office calc spreadsheet. It worked well with a few random ticker symbols. Using Open Office makes more sense to me since I will dump MS Office and only use OO with my next PC. Here is a link for anyone who is interested in using this macro:
OpenOffice.org Forum :: Get Stock Prices in a Spreadsheet

Since our money is spread out in a couple of 401ks, PST, and our Personally held accounts at our Mutual Fund company... only about once a year.

However, I check our Mutual Fund account regularly. Since the asset classes are similar... I can get a reasonably accurate estimate by looking at it... +/- 1%

Now if one of the 401k assets dumped or jumped... I would know it because I frequently check to see how they are doing... but I do not calculate an accurate value.

Back
Top Bottom