Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How often do you trade cars or trucks?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a believer in owning a truck until it almost dies.
As a retiree, the more adverse I am to buying another one.
My retiree friend at the gym who owns a much late model truck thinks he would like to trade his to a new 48K truck. I could not see the logic of trading a new looking 35,000 miles truck, pay additional 12K, to get a new one.
Unless it's a lemon? which it is not. Mine is a more basic model at only 21000 miles. Obviously folks have different values.
So, how often do you trade?
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought 4 cars in the first 9 years of having a license. Once I found out what vehicle works best for me I have now kept it for 11.5 years and plan to keep it until it needs too much maintenance...probably another 10 years. Then i'll buy a slightly used car and keep it for another 15+ years.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll keep using mine for as long as it runs more or less problem-free. I do prefer buying brand-new because I know nothing about cars and I don't really trust myself to buy a good used car.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am at 8 years and 111,000 miles so far and have no intention of trading anytime soon.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #5

My past cars have been ~15 years old when they are sold or traded in (or donated). I buy new, from the dealer, with excellent dealer financing (0%, .9%, etc.)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

Agree with keeping a vehicle and run it for as long as it 'makes sense'.

Two years ago I decided to jettison my Toyota 4x4 as it was a sink hole of repair costs at 160K miles. Would have preferred to run it twice that.

Bought a used truck w/ semi-low mileage and paid for it outright.

DW and I hate carrying loans.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We buy new (yes we know used is cheaper) and usually keep cars for 8-10 years. Highest mileage car we've owned was 164K.

We've never had a car until it became unreliable, I suspect all of the cars we sold/traded went on to run for many years. From what I read most well maintained modern cars are relatively trouble free for at least 15 years/200K miles. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...iles/index.htm

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I pretty much keep until car dies. Last car I kept around for about 18 years.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #9

Got rid of a 1993 Shadow in 2013. Previous autos, however, were sold off much earlier as I was in the military and was always cycling back and forth from the States to a remote location or a short stint somewhere and saving the car for future use or shipping it over was not feasible
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Kept my last car for 18 years. Did not need or want it any more so my son has it now. Runs like a top.

DW's car is 10 years old. She has had it for 6 years. We expect to keep it for at least another 10 years.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2010 truck with 21000 miles. A new truck same model will cause me to spend another 15-16K outright it I pay cash. That's a lot of gas money.
I think I'll drive this truck to 100000 miles even if it's a gas guzzler.
Even trading to a cheaper car, is not that of a economic benefit.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #12

Just about everyone on the way to FIRE or already there, got there by LBYM. That normally includes buying cars and keeping them a long time. We did the same thing our entire lives and saved buckets of money...BUT...now that we are retired, we built a retirement budget that includes money for new cars every 3 years or so. Do we need new cars every 3 years when we only drive 1500 miles per month between the 2 of us? Absolutely not! But you cant take your money with you and we have more than we need. We have a $1500 per month vehicle budget in retirement. We can afford it so why not? Having said that, DW just got a new Audi A5 convertible with a $500/month lease payment and Im driving a 2010 Maxima that is paid off.

I'm still driving the Maxima for 2 reasons:
1) It only has 45000 miles and feels brand new
2) Being retired, we get by easily with one car. Our 16 year old son drives the Maxima to school. We have one car during the day and 2 in the evening and weekends which works great. If I buy a new car to replace the Maxima, our son will be driving it to school and Im not crazy about him driving a brand new $40-50,000 car.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #13

We have 2 cars, both bought new. The SUV is 15 years old, and will be kept for another 3-5 years. The minivan is 11 years old, and will probably be with us for another 9-10 years.

I had a 3rd car, a 12 year old BMW that was bought used, which I sold last week. My DW has left her megacorp job to be a SAHM, and as I was trimming our budget, I couldn't justify the maintenance costs for a car I hardly drive.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have a Honda Accord and have had it since 2004 and it only has 64K miles. I think I can keep this car for another 11 years or more..is what I am hoping. The car doesn't look new but I got it detailed (the headlights have been sanded and rebuffed and it looks so much newer and nicer just by that) - it drives wonderfully as before.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

OK, I guess I'll be the outlier here, "again". When I was younger I would trade in cars at least yearly since the only thing I could afford was old and worn out.

As I got older and could afford to buy new, I did. Before I retired I probably traded in my daily drivers every 3 to 4 years. Now, it's like every 18 to 24 months. Example, I have traded in on 2 new 2015 models so far this year. (After all, my name on this forum is "Car-Guy".) I do like to keep few older "collectibles" too.

OK, I'll admit it, I like the newest gadgets and especially higher performance cars. Talk about gadgets, you need to know how to work all of them. Lot's of options. The last vehicle I bought came with 2 users manuals. (Not shop manuals, those are separate) Together they are over 1000 pages long...
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #16

We always bought used when we were younger and then new and "kept them" later on in life. Since retiring - we've started buying (Hyundai's and Kia's) and trading them in when they hit the 5 year mark. That's when the bumper to bumper warranty goes away. Gives us a good feeling to drive a newer car that's covered under a bumper to bumper warranty while enjoying retirement traveling (ie. wintering in Florida).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Car average is 6 years. Trucks 8. Motorcycles 18.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We usually keep until it starts having frequent repair bills or rust issues or our needs change and then either trade or sometimes sell and then buy another. I'm not into driving around a rust bucket that is running good... but that is just me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #19

I usually keep a car/SUV for 5 years, buy a new vehicle, but then pass the old one down in the family. I have a 2016 vehicle but the 2010 just went to a family member as did my 2005 vehicle in 2010. Most of the vehicles actually have been running for 10-15 years within the family. They can trade/sell at will (no strings).
Old 09-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #20

DW and I have 3 vehicles... a '97 Ford Ranger, '01 Chevy Suburban, and '06 BMW 325i. We don't drive very much, and they are all fairly reliable, so there's no real reason to change. The BMW is a money pit, so it will probably be the first to go in the next couple years. The truck and Suburban each have 160K miles, but only accrue maybe 5K/yr total for the two. The BMW has 65K and gets driven about 6-8K/yr.