Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How old are you and how much pills (prescription or not) do you take a day??
none 34 30.91%
1-2 pills 30 27.27%
3-4 pills 16 14.55%
5-6 pilss 9 8.18%
more than 6 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a day??
Old 03-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a day??

50 here and only take a multivitamin when I remember.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a da
Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: How old are you & how much pills (prescription/supplements) do you take a da

Maybe this is why I am so grumpy. I just turned 60 and I take in the range of 21 pills a day including both Rx and OTC:

Multivitamin
B Complex x 2 - for leg cramps
Vitamin C - 500mg X 3
Neurontin 400 mg X 3 (for nerve pain)
Vicodin 5/500 x 2 for back pain
Ultram ER 300 mg - back pain
Tylenol 500 mg x 2 x 2 - back pain
Toprol XL 25 mg - High BP
Zocor 40 mg - High cholesterol
Nexium 40 mg - Reflux
Claritin - allergy

Health issues were a big motivator for me to ER. Unfortunately, my various ailments make it difficult to enjoy the activities I would like to participate in.

Grumpy
Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #23

all,

so now we all see why the pharmacy and supplement companies are making a KILLING, yes i really mean KILLING me financially and my body at the same time.

next life, major in medicine not engineering.

enuff,

Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #24

29 - Taking 2 pills a day for acid reflux (Only needed on work days)

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

58 and take 3 prescriptions - gout, cholesterol. A bunch of vitamins since I don't eat veggies. Glucosamine/Chondroitin for the joints (I know the studies say it doesn't work, but it helped my dog). But I don't view 58 as old and deteriorating. I just returned from a snowboarding session with my son (33). It was great. Of course, he hadn't been out at all this year, while I have been out weekly and he still blew by me - but that's great in a way too.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #26

1 prescript, 81 mg asprin, calcium (2), mutliple vitamin, vit C, vit E
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #27

I'm 52 and I take one prescription, Prometrium (a progesterone supplement) every evening. The gyn. said I still had plenty of estrogen but my progesterone was very low. I pay a $10 co-pay for a 90 day mail order prescription through hubby's excellent insurance through his employer.

As for OTC, all WalMart's Equate brand -
-High Fiber capsules
-Women's multivitamin
-Calcium
-Glucosamine and Chondroiton

Considering what many other women go through during "the change" I have it easy. Not a lot of symptoms, only the one prescription and no side effects.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #28

I turn 50 next month....No prescriptions...No non-prescriptions. 8)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be 59 in a few months and fortunately take only one medication. Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis about six months ago. We have great insurance coverage and pay $35 a month for the shots she takes. If we paid it out of pocket it would run around $1,500 a month.

garrynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #30

58 and don't take any pills. Although I have had a lot of pain in my hands lately and may need something to help out a bit.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #31

Age 49. I take Actonel once per week for osteoporosis. Not real common in men I guess, but that's what I got. I take Actifed over the counter as needed for seasonal allergies too.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #32

I'll be 60 this year. I take 2 prescriptions, Zestril for BP and Lipitor for cholesterol. I also take a 250 mg aspirin per day. I’ve been followed by a cardiologist since age 40.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #33

I turn 56 this month and take Lovistatin once a day for high cholesterol.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:53 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

50 ... so far none other than the odd aspirin or cold remedy. No supplements (used to take a multi-vitamin).

Althougth... the Cholesterol is creeping up there.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #35

57 and none.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #36

4 insulin injections a day (2 types of insulin)
7 methotrexate once a week
1 folic acid pill a day (to add back what the methotrexate takes away)

Perscription for test strips for blood testing.

Yes, I would be in deep doodoo without insurance
Old 03-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

47 and take 2 blood pressure meds and lipitor. Also take aspirin, potassium and multivitamins. Total runs about $40 a month.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

58. No prescriptions. Most days I take fish oil, coq10, alpha lipoic acid, acetyl l-carnitine, resveratrol, pregnenelone, glutamine, dhea and a multi vitamin with botanical extracts. There are some others that I cycle in and out. I take nothing without reading the research, pro and con, then make a decision. I used to have high bp, high fasting glucose and low HDL. With exercise and less crappy processed food, that's reversed (though if I have a bad week with standard american diet, my glucose can bounce up). At the gym, I do strict form bicep curls with 50 lb dumbbells and my last set on the leg press sled is 800 lbs for 5 reps. I mention the weights only b/c it is emblematic of my feeling that is very important to maintain muscle mass and function as long as possible. On the other hand, some of those supplements relate to cognitive function.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #39

44 - no pills
Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I can suggest a couple
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote