Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
With your analysis, everyone in America with a pension should be pissed, because ALL pensions are set up the same way you describe, with actuarial tables and insurance companies behind them...........

Have you done the calculation as to how long you and your spouse need to live before you get what you paid into SS? And then think of the opportunity cost of what you LOST trusting Uncle Sam to invest your money for your future benefit. SS makes GM's pension woes look like a walk in the park.........
Well, show me where I can unenroll from SS. If I could CHOOSE to not participate in SS, I would unenroll and keep the money that they take from me. Granted, I'm fortunate that they only take their blood from the first $95k, but still...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that in both the pension and SS cases, we werent given a choice to opt out.

And for the financially illiterate who dont care to learn, an annuitization of part of their money might be a good idea.

While there are a couple of people kicking around here who have absolutely no clue about finances, or the wrong clue, I'm not sure that the vast majority of users qualify as financially illiterate. Illiterate maybe, but not financially so...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
And for the financially illiterate who dont care to learn, an annuitization of part of their money might be a good idea.
Why do you think all annuities are annuitized? SPIA yes, others no........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #44

Quote:
With your analysis, everyone in America with a pension should be pissed, because ALL pensions are set up the same way you describe, with actuarial tables and insurance companies behind them...........

Have you done the calculation as to how long you and your spouse need to live before you get what you paid into SS? And then think of the opportunity cost of what you LOST trusting Uncle Sam to invest your money for your future benefit. SS makes GM's pension woes look like a walk in the park.........
I have some trivial pensions and I'll get SS. Since I never had a choice, I'm stuck with these and I'll certainly cash the checks since I lost the income that went into creating these. That doesn't mean I wanted them rather than extra income. It certainly shouldn't cause anyone to think that since I've been forced to take these versions of annuities that I would want to go out and buy more.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Granted, I'm fortunate that they only take their blood from the first $95k, but still...
This year it's the first $102K. Next year it will go up so stay tuned....
Old 08-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
This year it's the first $102K. Next year it will go up so stay tuned....
Ahh... ok

Well, I'm fortunate that they only take it out of the first $102k then.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I have some trivial pensions and I'll get SS. Since I never had a choice, I'm stuck with these and I'll certainly cash the checks since I lost the income that went into creating these. That doesn't mean I wanted them rather than extra income. It certainly shouldn't cause anyone to think that since I've been forced to take these versions of annuities that I would want to go out and buy more.
Just like those of us under 50 will NOT have the choice when Congress decided to DECREASE our benefits. I for one am not planning to get SS, even though I have been paying into it for over 25 years.........

Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Just like those of us under 50 will NOT have the choice when Congress decided to DECREASE our benefits. I for one am not planning to get SS, even though I have been paying into it for over 25 years.........
You could make up the difference by purchasing an annuity.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
You could make up the difference by purchasing an annuity.
Or I could just do like unclemick and buy the Norwegian widow's dividend portfolio and PSST!!! Wellesley...........