Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How the mighty have fallen
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How the mighty have fallen

I was watching an old Roger Moore episode of the saint last night. Black and white, so likely late 50s very early 60s. Simon was impersonating a murdered Italian who had planned to sell some jewelry to a dealer in Geneva. The dealer first quoted some astronomical number of lira, then converted to 400,000 CHF, or $100,000. So I thought I would compare to todays exchange rate. Actually, it is now inverted. Instead of one USD getting you 4 Swiss francs, it takes $1.07 to buy one Swiss franc. So if Simon Templar's jewels still fetched 400,000 CHF, that would bring not $100,000 USD, but $428,000.

I guess the moral is, don't vacation in Switzerland, and be careful of what may happen to your USD cash balances over time.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I just canceled my summer vacation trip to Switzerland. Thanks Ha.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

HaHa
I recently bought a collection of Leslie Charteris' The Saint novels. ER to me now is a time to read, instead of more frequent travel after the collapse of the American dollar against other currencies. You can use as your example the exchange rate between the USD to the AUS dollar since 2000 as well.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
HaHa
I recently bought a collection of Leslie Charteris' The Saint novels. ER to me now is a time to read, instead of more frequent travel after the collapse of the American dollar against other currencies. You can use as your example the exchange rate between the USD to the AUS dollar since 2000 as well.
I have never read any of these, but I have been thinking of doing so. I love these old episodes.

Ha
Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have never read any of these, but I have been thinking of doing so. I love these old episodes.

Ha
I think he wrote about 50 of them. Overall I prefer Ian Fleming or Le Carre, but the Saints are easy read pulp fictions.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
gone traveling

Hopefully once the US economy recovers fully and QE is well and truly over, the USD will crawl back up. Just read today that for ever 1cent rise in the AUD against the USD, it costs Australians major miners BHP and RIO TINTO, USD 120 in clean profits. As a shareholder, that hurts
On the flipside, when I last vacationed in the US in 2002, the Aussie $ was buying US 56 cents, now it buys US $1.05. Expect to see plenty of Crocodile Dundees vacationing in your neck of the woods
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

jag
At the present exchange rate, it is hard to afford a good vacation in Australia, one of my very favorite places to visit , so I hope you are right.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
jag
At the present exchange rate, it is hard to afford a good vacation in Australia, one of my very favorite places to visit , so I hope you are right.
+1

We went to Australia at Christmas for the first time in about five years and were staggered by the cost. A can of coke in a convenience store costs about double what you pay in Hong Kong. Just about everything seemed very expensive compared to what we pay in Hong Kong (HKD is pegged to the USD).
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
+1

We went to Australia at Christmas for the first time in about five years and were staggered by the cost. A can of coke in a convenience store costs about double what you pay in Hong Kong. Just about everything seemed very expensive compared to what we pay in Hong Kong (HKD is pegged to the USD).
Yes - it's not cheap here anymore. The mining boom took care of that. The younger ones are finding it difficult to get into the home buyers market. Sydney average house price is now over $500k. You need 2 solid incomes to get into property, unless you receive a boost from mum and dad.

Like I said , the flipside is overseas vacations are cheap. Trainee - we were in HK in Nov last year. had a blast. Love the food. Delicious and cheap. The people are fantastic
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
gone traveling

Trainee and Bondi

Thought you guys might enjoy this read in the Sydney Morning Herald today.
Even the Ozzies are complaining about our high prices

Fish and chips $42? That's just a tad pricey
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #11

Quote:
I was watching an old Roger Moore episode of the saint last night. Black and white, so likely late 50s very early 60s.
That series ran from '62 - '69. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(TV_series)

There was also a series of B&W B-movies from '38 - ~'41 that shows up occasionally on TCM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(film_series) Those starring George Sanders as Simon Templar were, IMO the best. At least one is available on The Archive: The Saint in Palm Springs (1941). : dali : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Tyro
Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #12

When someone who is used to the price of things in HK complains about prices in Sydney, it is time to take note. $42 for fish and chips? Was the vinegar made by Chateau Lafitte?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I guess the moral is, don't vacation in Switzerland, and be careful of what may happen to your USD cash balances over time.

Ha
In Switzerland last summer; pretty much to just transit the country. Couldn't wait to get to Italy to get a decent meal. Not for the quality of the food, but for an affordable restaurant.

Sobering to wander the streets hungry feeling we really didn't have enough money to eat. For example, FF at a kiosk were $9 USD.

Curious about the discrepancy in the valuation of currencies between Switzerland and neighboring countries, spent a little time on the net once home. From memory ... Switzerland's intact infrastructure post-WW 2 ... positioning in high-value industries (e.g. banking) were cited. Too, discretionary income was said to be high due to subsidized education, health, pension systems. (Not sure how the last would differentiate the country from surrounding European neighbors?) Even so, thrifty Swiss shoppers living close to borders pour into France, Germany etc. for Euro-denominated groceries.

As for our food, made it out of the country on airplane snacks, prepaid B&B breakfast, and take-out gyros. Lovely, lovely place and sorry to leave, but time to eat.
EveryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #14

You wonder if the significant depreciation of the American dollars is a deliberate and underhanded way to depreciate the massive national debt, but that made our purchasing power lower, especially when one goes abroad.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I guess the moral is, don't vacation in Switzerland
I love vacationing there: some of the best hiking available.

Switzerland makes so many great products, too. Think IWC, Rolex, Victorinox, Caran d'Ache, Nestlé, Pilatus, SIG, etc.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The $428,000 will do you no good once Uncle Guido finds out you murdered his nephew to get his jewelry. Family is everything.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Looked it up on the Fed site. The 1970's were very kind to the Swiss Franc.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Administrator

Invest in Swiss stocks. The best of both worlds.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I know this is not the point of this thread, but I love Switzerland at any price.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I know this is not the point of this thread, but I love Switzerland at any price.
We were there in 1972. Student dollars went further then.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote